Withdraws from cocaine ( crack )
    Tonya2013 is offline New Member

Default Withdraws from cocaine ( crack )

I know someone who is coming off of a serious cocaine (crack) addiction. They have been using everyday for a year and a half and has been clean for 2 days now. He has been sleeping pretty much the whole time and when he does awake its only to eat or use the bathroom, but I noticed in his sleep his body jerks and shakes frequently so bad sometimes it wakes him up. One time he looked as if he was having a seizure in his sleep. Is this from withdrawl? Do they make anything for cocaine (crack) withdrawl?

gsw615 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Tonya

I know someone who is coming off of a serious cocaine (crack) addiction. They have been using everyday for a year and a half and has been clean for 2 days now. He has been sleeping pretty much the whole time and when he does awake its only to eat or use the bathroom, but I noticed in his sleep his body jerks and shakes frequently so bad sometimes it wakes him up. One time he looked as if he was having a seizure in his sleep. Is this from withdrawl? Do they make anything for cocaine (crack) withdrawl?
    ...get your friend to go to a doctor. I'm not familiar with cocaine withdrawal, except that it's not pleasant. But after a year-and-a-half of crack abuse, a good checkup with a doctor would probably be beneficial, and then you can find out if he's OK. As for "do they make anything for crack withdrawal" -- they typical doctor would probably prescribe something like valium, xanax, librium, or klonipin. Which themselves are addicting, so it's almost a catch-22. That's why detox centers and rehab clinics are great - if the patient needs that kind of medication, it is given to them -- in a controlled environment, where the patient doesn't control the medicine and thus really can't abuse it (unless they're VERY very clever)... if they DO go to a doctor, and ARE prescribed a drug like I mentioned (or any benzodiazophine-type drug), the patient should NOT be allowed to hold the medication themselves. They should give it to someone else who will dispense it to them as prescribed. If he's addicted to crack, there's a pretty good chance he'd abuse just about anything that may give hime a euphoric feeling, and the drugs I mentioned CAN do so -- if not taken as prescribed.

As for the seizure thing -- there are certain signs of seizures besides the shaking/etc -- I've had them from alcohol withdrawal, so I know what they're like. Seizure signs: biting their tongue; loss of control of bodily functions (i.e. peeing - or worse - on yourself), and sometimes even ceasing to breathe. Like I said I don't know about coke withdrawal, but I didn't think it would create seizures. HOWEVER -- many times, people use a lot of crack or coke so they can drink more alcohol -- any possibility that your friend has also been using a lot of alcohol? If so then you should get him to a doctor or hospital ASAP -- alcohol withdrawal can be deadly. Yea, people die from it. I know someone who did. I also know someone who ALMOST did -- the only reaon he didn't is b/c he had a seizure during an AA meeting, and we called the rescue squad who brought him to the hospital. At the hospital he had another seizer -- a worse one; he stopped breathing for 3 or 4 minutes I think. So your friend may need help.

And like I said, if nothing else, after that long of abusing crack, they may have developed other phsyical problems as well that they may not even be aware of, so a visit to your friendly neighborhood doctor won't be a bad idea. And the cost shouldn't be an issue -- have your friend calculate how much it would cost him to continue to abuse crack for another 3-5 months, and I'd bet that cost would be FAR greater money-wise than a trip to a doctor (PLUS some tests the doctor would probably want to perform - bloodwork type tests)...

they may want to also check out support groups like Narcotics Anonymous, or Cocaine Anonymous, or if they're also alcoholic AA is a wonderful group who may be able to help your friend... 999 out of 1000 people cannot quit drugs - and stay quit -- without the support of a group similar to NA, CA, or AA. Or at the very least suggest he see a psychologist/psychiatrist regularly -- one who specializes in addiction recovery.

...but DO try to get them to see a doctor. It couldn't hurt, that's for sure.

- gsw

dannyell123 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by gsw615

quote:Originally posted by Tonya

...get your friend to go to a doctor. I'm not familiar with cocaine withdrawal, except that it's not pleasant. But after a year-and-a-half of crack abuse, a good checkup with a doctor would probably be beneficial, and then you can find out if he's OK. As for "do they make anything for crack withdrawal" -- they typical doctor would probably prescribe something like valium, xanax, librium, or klonipin. Which themselves are addicting, so it's almost a catch-22. That's why detox centers and rehab clinics are great - if the patient needs that kind of medication, it is given to them -- in a controlled environment, where the patient doesn't control the medicine and thus really can't abuse it (unless they're VERY very clever)... if they DO go to a doctor, and ARE prescribed a drug like I mentioned (or any benzodiazophine-type drug), the patient should NOT be allowed to hold the medication themselves. They should give it to someone else who will dispense it to them as prescribed. If he's addicted to crack, there's a pretty good chance he'd abuse just about anything that may give hime a euphoric feeling, and the drugs I mentioned CAN do so -- if not taken as prescribed.

As for the seizure thing -- there are certain signs of seizures besides the shaking/etc -- I've had them from alcohol withdrawal, so I know what they're like. Seizure signs: biting their tongue; loss of control of bodily functions (i.e. peeing - or worse - on yourself), and sometimes even ceasing to breathe. Like I said I don't know about coke withdrawal, but I didn't think it would create seizures. HOWEVER -- many times, people use a lot of crack or coke so they can drink more alcohol -- any possibility that your friend has also been using a lot of alcohol? If so then you should get him to a doctor or hospital ASAP -- alcohol withdrawal can be deadly. Yea, people die from it. I know someone who did. I also know someone who ALMOST did -- the only reaon he didn't is b/c he had a seizure during an AA meeting, and we called the rescue squad who brought him to the hospital. At the hospital he had another seizer -- a worse one; he stopped breathing for 3 or 4 minutes I think. So your friend may need help.

And like I said, if nothing else, after that long of abusing crack, they may have developed other phsyical problems as well that they may not even be aware of, so a visit to your friendly neighborhood doctor won't be a bad idea. And the cost shouldn't be an issue -- have your friend calculate how much it would cost him to continue to abuse crack for another 3-5 months, and I'd bet that cost would be FAR greater money-wise than a trip to a doctor (PLUS some tests the doctor would probably want to perform - bloodwork type tests)...

they may want to also check out support groups like Narcotics Anonymous, or Cocaine Anonymous, or if they're also alcoholic AA is a wonderful group who may be able to help your friend... 999 out of 1000 people cannot quit drugs - and stay quit -- without the support of a group similar to NA, CA, or AA. Or at the very least suggest he see a psychologist/psychiatrist regularly -- one who specializes in addiction recovery.

...but DO try to get them to see a doctor. It couldn't hurt, that's for sure.

- gsw
    Danielle Scheller-Hand

dannyell123 is offline New Member

Hello my name is Danielle your friend is going to be hurting for quite a bit of time before he feels better.But dont worry he wont die he will just wish he was unfortanatly. If he's strong enough to do this at home on his own then do it that way, every single part of his body will hurt he will beg you to please just get him a little bit,DONT give in that wont help,in about 10 days he will start feeling a little better. He could go to a rehab. But if he has someone who loves him enough to handle going threw these withdrawls,with him then that's even better. I have seen people withdrawl from alot of differant thing's according to docters I spoke to the only drug you can die from withdrawling is valium, herion but not coke. It's like having the worst case of flu in the world. Good luck to yourself and your friend, Take it one day at a time.[:I]I have seen people die from overdosing,purposly and by accident Ive seen alot,he needs alot of fluid,maybe some showers from the real bad sweats then freezing crying,screaming,your there you already know it gets worse before better so god bless you.....

Danielle Scheller-Hand

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Mental withdrawls is what your friend is going to suffer through, it would be better if you could get him/her to a doctor.....Dave

LoneStar4 is offline New Member

Default About coming off this Insidious Drug

First of all, I see this post is old so hopefully your friend is okay...that being said I have first hand experience coming off this terrible drug. The doctors visit is probably a good idea, but as far as those first three days, mostly the user is just recovering at this point, and may or may not have made up his mind about quitting or continuing using. If he is ready to stop, he needs to get to a meeting IMMEDIATELY, and get a sponsor as quick as possible.

My second point is that this addiction, and addictions in general have everything to do with spirituality. So regardless of your belief or belief system, you have to know that this is a spiritual attack. Crack is a real entity that is prowling waiting to devour the user. The only way I could quit was to admit to God that I didn't want to quit, and that I loved how it made me feel when I was using it. I told God that since I didn't have the will to stop using, that I needed him to let me "borrow" his will and use it as my own. The high like nothing I can describe, but it is an illusion that cannot be sustained. Real Happiness for me came and continues in my relationship with God...so I know that sounds good, but in a practical world, what does one do next?

I HIGHLY recommend WWW DEVILSCANDY COM . It is a free online ministry for people who have decided to stop using crack, not drugs in general, but specifically crack. If you follow this program (to the letter), you will stop using crack. You have no choice. Anyway, you listen to the daily audio, read from the daily instructional book, and learn to live free from the drug. While its not required, I recommend buying and downloading the e-books. The entire set is $20, but it has been 20 of the best dollars I have ever spent. To me, this ministry ties in to my long term desire to be completely free, but in the beginning, the meetings of NA were invaluable, and with the online ministry, you might be able to eventually replace the meetings, but I think users all need to be in some sort of network with other recovering ex-addicts, and meetings are very good for that. GOD BLESS

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default LoneStar4

Wanted to thank you for the information about www.devilscandy.com ... I am enjoying reading and the music. Have never heard of this site before. I will check it out in more detail as I have time. But it seems like a really good site to me so far. Haven't seen a site like this before specific to getting off crack cocaine. Thanks again. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 10-21-2008 at 02:03 PM.

danw is offline New Member

i dont no if there are any medications for w/d symptoms but something that helped me to controll the sickness was orange juice. it seemed to settle my stomic and lessoned the cravings. also stay away from ciggerett smokers, or even the smell of smokes. it was realy rough for me for the first couple of weeks. good luck with your friend.
    dan