Why Turn to Drugs - Youths
    johnny88 is offline New Member

Default Why Turn to Drugs - Youths

Why do youths turn to drugs? It is addictive and it would then lead to drug abuse..

Drug experimentation is a beautiful and psychologically necessary stage of human life. The Dutch believe it is healthy to have a curiosity for such behavior as well as sexuality, adn encourage exploring those what those areas have to offer. In American culture, drug use is considered a deviant act, and is therefore embraced by those with a rebellious sense and no regard for consequences thereof.

In my foolish and youthful opinion, drug use is the closest equivalent to "magic" which exists in reality. It is the manipulation of the brain's chemicals to alter the perception of one's actual surroundings. There are several conditions one may experience in which to desire this "magic" relocation of themselves, including but not limited to depression, desire to control or change one's emotions, the need to feel sedated, a simple wish for a change in the monotony of life, and an escape from pressures often exacerbated in adolescents in American culture.

Being seventeen years old myself, I think I have a pretty damn good grasp on why I turn to drugs. It isn't for the reasons I've suggested above, it's for my own unique varying circumstances - i.e., overwhelmed by the rush of hormones seeping into my underdeveloped brain at an alarming rate, I become hysterical at the drop of a hat and choose to sedate myself by ingesting marijuana. Other times it is genuine curiosity which leads me to purchase a quantity of hallucinogenic psilocybin mushrooms (p. cubensis) to gain experience and insight into my own mind, as the psychedelics of the latter generation would suggest.

I believe drug use by today's youth is greatly underestimated by those who are not drug users themselves. The numbers of those who use drugs have actually increased by several percentage points in proportion to the decade of the birth of the counterculture revolution (1965-1975).

That's just a stupid druggie kid's opinion. Good question, though.

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy

Miles is offline Member

johnny88:

Drug use is [u]not</u> addictive in and of itself. Drugs are inanimate, inert objects that can do absolutely nothing by themselves. Drug addiction is a choice that individuals make on their own. Too many here blame the drug(s) for their problems in living. It’s not that simple.

Betsy alludes to the heart of the matter in her discussion of the “magical” qualities of drug usage. People use/abuse drugs because they want to feel better. Who doesn’t want to feel better?

Squach is offline New Member

The word for pharmacy in the Bible is also the word for witch craft. If satin can hit are youth he has are future. As he tryed to get my youth but he did not get my future. SAS&lt;&gt;&lt;

Satin? Who would have suspected such a luxurious, soft fabric...

Squach is offline New Member

Sorry That is satan. It most be from all them years of token. SAS&lt;&gt;&lt;

lol I hear ya.

Shakes is offline Junior Member

Asking the question, "Why do youths (or anyone) use & abuse drugs?" is pointless. This is so because a) Half of the time when a user is confronted he/she will distort, or only reveal part of the true reasons and b) Every user has his/her own reasons.
    Lots of people use & abuse mind altering substances (MAS) for reacreational purposes. This means they're bored and wanna have fun. And i can truthfully tell you that being high is quite often very fun. Some people do it 'cause they're depressed, lonely, chemically-imbalanced and other psychological reasons. I did it because its fun, entertaining, and its just something to do! Youths arent the main social group when it comes to use & abuse of MAS. Many adults, seniours, young-adults ( ie, 23yrs, 25yrs)
    So my point is, dont ask questions which cannot be answered!

Fearin Jail, but Crack sales have got me livin well. Struggling to keep up in this thug life, dealin' dope in this druglife. Ridin wit 2 crips, glokoma on ma hip, ridin wit 2 clips

johnny88 is offline New Member

I read from somewhere that addiction to drugs can be due to genetic reasons. How true is that?

lyndasay is offline New Member

i think part of it could be genitic if you come from a line of adictics then you have a better chance trust me but i think the main reason is were bored thats why it hits small towns there is nothing to do so they get high and hangout it makes life more fun i can say that out of my age i know maybe 8 people who have never tried any drugs.

I don't know about other "youths" but I use drugs to self medicate for bipolar, and I have a freind who does the same thing. He msotly smokes pot though, whereas I'm a fan of alcohol, valium, oxycodone, and, somewhat in contradiction to these, grinding up caffeine pills and snorting them. I think for a lot of people it's jsut to have fun, and for others it was, and then they got addicted. Plus, knowing intellectually that a drug is potentially addictive doesn't necesarilly have any effect on an adolecents approach to it, there's a manifestation of adolecent egocentrism (not a disorder, by the way, it's a standard part of development), refered to as the "personal fable" wherin adolecents beleive themselves to be somehow unique, and special, in short they think it couldn't happen to them. Then again I don't have a lot of objectivity on this, so I could be way off...

Laughmachine is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny88 View Post
    Why do youths turn to drugs? It is addictive and it would then lead to drug abuse..
    Youth turn to drugs for experimentation. For fun and curiosity. Curiosity always killed the cat though...

jpklcapp is offline New Member

A good reason islack of education - it is important to note that use of drugs (including caffeine, Etoh and nicoteine) are all decreased during / with educational programs about the risks etc.

betsy said that drugs unlock the mind - "to gain experience and insight into my own mind" - They unlock nothing - they twist and distort the brains perception of reality, pain etc - all at a cost to the normal function of the brain. Recreational use of drugs is destructive and cannot be rationally justified. The Dutch do not provide rational support for drug use.

Neither is the 'self treatment' of any disorder effective or beneficial - the problem is you cannot effectively assess the current state of your own mind - the perfect example of this is people with......wait for it....bipolar disorder - it is all too common for people with bipolar disorder to discontinue medications when they 'feel good' because they dont think they need treatment any longer when it is the medications that they are taking that have made them stable.

Recreational drug use is destructive, has long term effects and can lead to addiction. However, education is among the most effective sociological tools that we have to combat it. Self treatment of any disorder of the brain is as risky as anything else. If you are using illicit drugs to self treat you are an 'at risk' patient underatking an 'at risk' activity - very very very risky.

Drug use is not 'considered' deviant behavior - it IS DEVIANT BEHAVIOR - SOCIETY DICTATES WHAT DEVIANT BEHAVIOR IS NOT COMPARISON TO ANOTHER

If not being educated is why people use drugs, then where the hell do I come into the picture, I'm a ********ing walking encyclopedia of psychopharmocolgy, I know exactly what I'm doing and it hasn't stopped me yet. And what do people discontinueing their meds when they feel better have to do with anything, people do that with pennicilin as well, and it doens't pertain to self medication. It's better to be self medicating than for example, suicidally depressed.