Why is clozapine no longer available?
    akoni1973 is offline New Member

Unhappy Why is clozapine no longer available?

Does anyone know why all of the manufactuers of Clozapine are no longer producing this drug? My monther has very severe schizophrenia and this is the only prescription that has been able to help control her condition. We are being told that the pharmacists can not get this anymore and her condition is getting very bad because she doesn't have it to control the schizophrenia. Any information on why this is off the market would be apreciated.

delaney81 is offline New Member

I've worked in the mental health field for the past 8 years. My clients who are on Clozapine / Clozaril get this medication where they get their mental health treatment. The go to scheduled appointments called "Clozaril Group" with their psychiatrist. My clients have not been able to get Clozaril from a pharmacy in the past several years. Maybe your mom should talk to whoever she gets mental health treatment from about this.

akoni1973 is offline New Member

Thank you. We're going to call her old group on the main land to see if they know anything. She lives in hawaii and her psychiatrist always just calls the presription in to walmart after bloodwork is done. But when my grandmother went to pick up the next prescription she was told that it's not made anymore. We're just trying to get answers since this medicine has been the only thing thats helped for the last 18 years.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

I haven't heard anything about Klonopin being pulled, and I'm sure it hasn't, whatever is going on is an isolated incident or you're misunderstanding the doctor or pharmacist, clonazepam is still being made, by several mfr's. Even if it was pulled, there's several other benzodiazepine's to switch to. I know of at least 11 different mfr's of the drug.