WEIGHT GAIN AFTER TAKING ZETIA
    LEIGHRALEY is offline New Member

Default WEIGHT GAIN AFTER TAKING ZETIA

Has anyone taking the drug Zetia experienced any weight gain? I'm trying to figure out what is making me gain weight. It started soon after I begain taking Zetia. I have stuck to my low cholesterol diet and I'm a life time member of Weight Watchers. I watch my weight each and every day. I'm trying to decide if this drug is causing the gain, I may stop taking it.

Thank you for listening.

LEIGH RALEY

damos is offline New Member

I also experienced weight gain. I gained 13 pounds in 4-6 weeks immediately after I started taking Zetia. My doctor tested my thyroid, but it tested OK. I think it must be the Zetia.

Jasper12 is offline New Member

I am having a similiar problem. I have been on weight watchers for 7 years and have managed to keep 31 pounds off for those years. I started Zetia a month ago and I have gained 4 pounds. I am extremely frustrated and don't know what do.

networknow is offline New Member

Default I suspect Zetia too

I have gained weight and felt new fat in places it used to be. It has all happened rapidly. Doctor is happy with lowest cholestorol level in recorded history (for me). Doctor is frowning about weight gain and saying nothing. My best guess is my body's genetic makeup is storing fat in areas of muscle as a reaction to being starved of the lipids it was accustomed to having on demand. I am diagnosed with cardiovascular disease subsequent to having a heart attack, so I am reluctant to any knee jerk reaction to this development. Doctor told me 5mg Zetia is 80% as effective as 10mg. I started out on 5mg and am now thinking to try 2.5 on my own. I cannot afford for the weight gain to continue.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by networknow View Post
    I have gained weight and felt new fat in places it used to be. It has all happened rapidly. Doctor is happy with lowest cholestorol level in recorded history (for me). Doctor is frowning about weight gain and saying nothing. My best guess is my body's genetic makeup is storing fat in areas of muscle as a reaction to being starved of the lipids it was accustomed to having on demand. I am diagnosed with cardiovascular disease subsequent to having a heart attack, so I am reluctant to any knee jerk reaction to this development. Doctor told me 5mg Zetia is 80% as effective as 10mg. I started out on 5mg and am now thinking to try 2.5 on my own. I cannot afford for the weight gain to continue.

A significant weight gain is not healthy especially following a heart attack. That is obvious. We can easily see that if NOTHING has changed for us except taking a new medication then that medication likely has something to do with the new change. That is a no-brainer.

I can't imagine your dr having a problem dealing with the weight change now before it gets to a critical point. That makes sense to me anyway. If the dr has said the zetia is 80% as effective at 5mg as it was at 10mg, that doesn't necessarily mean that 2.5mg would be 80% as effective as 5mg. It makes sense, your thinking is logical, but it's not a sure thing. I would talk to your cardiologist before cutting your medication in half again. That's just me. This is too serious to guess at it. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.