Vivitro vs. Suboxone
    lcon926 is offline Junior Member

Default Vivitro vs. Suboxone

I was calling around trying to find info on Suboxone for my son who has a dependency on oxys. He claims that he is not using like he has in the past, just on occassion, but cannot seem to suppress the cravings. His therapist thinks he should go on suboxone. I, on the other hand, am not so sure of this suggestion. Anyway I was talking to one Dr.s office, and they said that he should try Vivitrol if he is not actively using. They said that he'd have to come in once a month for the shot....There's no monitoring or anything. That doesn't sound like something stable to me.
    If anyone out there could share with me their experiences with either I'd greatly appreciate it. I pray everyday for my son's recovery and wish to see him smile again.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-04-2011 at 05:43 AM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by lcon926 View Post
    I was calling around trying to find info on Suboxone for my son who has a dependency on oxys. He claims that he is not using like he has in the past, just on occassion, but cannot seem to suppress the cravings. His therapist thinks he should go on suboxone. I, on the other hand, am not so sure of this suggestion. Anyway I was talking to one Dr.s office, and they said that he should try Vivitrol if he is not actively using. They said that he'd have to come in once a month for the shot....There's no monitoring or anything. That doesn't sound like something stable to me.
    If anyone out there could share with me their experiences with either I'd greatly appreciate it. I pray everyday for my son's recovery and wish to see him smile again.
    Thanks

Vivitrol is just naltrexone. I wouldn't personally believe anyone who is using oxy if you really think he's using. It's the drug, not the person.

The vivitrol won't work as well as the subs and he will still be able to continue abusing the oxy more easily with the vivitrol vs the subs if he is like most. If he is using as you suspect that would be a good reason for him to prefer the naltrexone/vivitrol.

The subs would be the way I would choose IF it was a decision to use opiate replacement therapy. Either do a cold turkey or use the best medication for opiate replacement, one or the other. That is just my opinion. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.