Tricor vs Antara
    bba
    bba is offline New Member

Default Tricor vs Antara

Can someone tell me the basic difference between Tricor and Antara? Both are used to lower cholesterol and triglycerides, but Antara seems to have more negative side effects.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Shouldn't really be a difference at all, they both have the same active ingredient Fenofibrate.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

pharmd06 is offline Member

this is a classic trick that the drug companys like to play. antara and tricor are both fenofibrate. but antara is "micronized" this means that it is ground into smaller particles. the idea is that more will get absorbed and faster. ie antara peaks in the blood in 4-6hr and tricor is 6-8hr. the other difference is the dose strength. of course in reality both are made so that two companies can profit from one drug.
    you can read the drug info at the websites, within the first few lines you can see the differences and similarities.

http://rxabbott.com/pdf/tricorpi.pdf

http://www.antararx.com/PI.pdf

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Thanks Pharmd, I didn't look up all the chemical compounds information and the metabolizing info, guess I should have checked. Nah, that's what you're around for.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~