teaspoon?
    qriusjorj is offline New Member

Question teaspoon?

my cough syrup says to take one to two teaspoons per dosage. does anybody know if that means a teaspoon for tea or a teaspoon for measuring in the kitchen?

Cats Meow is offline Banned

It should be the same. A teaspoon holds one fluid dram or about 5 milliliters which equals 1/6 of an ounce. People never take their meds by measuring spoon, they expect you to use the tea-spoon.

qriusjorj is offline New Member

Default not the same

thnx 4 the reply but they're not the same. there are exactly three teaspoon/measuring spoons to a tablespoon whereas a tablespoon will hold about two tea-spoons. with doses these small, this means a 50% difference in dosage. i'm a bit of a fan of tea so that's why i know this but i won't go into the history.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Oh, you mean an ice-tea spoon, I guess. My regular teaspoons hold the same volume of liquid as my measuring teaspoon.
    My answer is right though, and liquid measurements are even defined by law, but that depends on your country, for example in the USA the definition is 1 tsp = 1/6 of an ounce (4.93 mL), in the UK it's 1 tsp = 1/8 Imperial fl. oz (3.55 mL).

So use your measuring spoon, and you'll be exactly right, but you'll find it hard to use it by mouth.