Tapering Off Methadone Quite Nicely
    b_Love is offline New Member

Default Tapering Off Methadone Quite Nicely

After moving to 40mg's a day for chronic pain from oxy, methandone did its job. Now, its job is done, and I want it gone. My doc and I agree to reduce the dosage by about 15% every three days. So far this is working. Remember, I started at 4 10mg pills a day, and now I'm at 1 and 1/2 a pill. Not bad. Starting on Thursday, it'll just be a single 10 mg pill per day for three days. After that, only 1/2 a pill for three days, and then POOF!! It's gone! Thankfully!

So see folks, it can be done. I did experience some hotflashes from time to time, but was about it. Pretty straightforward.

joegreenberg5 is offline New Member

Thumbs up

I hope it's that easy for you! All the best. Joe

Anonymous Guest

me too hoping its as easy as you think, dont want to rain on your parade, but most of the withdrawls with methadone kick in, WELL AFTER YOU LAST DOSE and not before. so dont go counting your chickens before they hatch, please be aware of that.

theres something called the thomas recipe, google that, it gives you a lot of things that might help out at the end stage of your taper.

all the best, from someone whose counted off methadone before.

cheeky
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-02-2010 at 10:39 PM.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I don't advise jumping off methadone at 5 mgs. which is pretty high. Like cheeky said, it has a long half life and stays in your system awhile so you might not feel anything til a few days after your final case. I hope youre one of the lucky ones.

intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgal View Post
    I don't advise jumping off methadone at 5 mgs. which is pretty high. Like cheeky said, it has a long half life and stays in your system awhile so you might not feel anything til a few days after your final case. I hope youre one of the lucky ones.
    NYG is right. 5mgs is a pretty high dose to jump off of, and you will not feel the real withdrawal until a couple of days after your last dose. I truly admire what you are doing, just be careful how fast you go down and at what dose you jump.
    If I were to do it all over again, this is what I would do.
    Taper down to 2mgs (maybe even 1mg) and ask my doctor if it would be OK to take Darvocet N-100. This mild opiate is a synthetic in the same family as methadone and does not cause euphoria when coming off of stronger pain meds. You would only need 1 script of about #20 Darvocet N-100 to finish off your taper with very little trouble. The half life of propoxyphene is 6-12 hours, much shorter than methadone. You will need to space out your doses at first. I did 2 Darvocet per day, for 5 days with each dose of 1 pill every 12 hours. On day 6, I reduced my total daily intake to 1 and 1/2 pills per day, 1 in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m. I did this for 4 days total. On day 10, I reduced my total daily intake to 1 pill per day, single dose at noon. I did this for 3 days and jumped. You probably could go another 3 days at 1/2 a pill per day, but it is not really needed as you should be past the methadone detox (physical part). From here on, it is a mental game.....a test of ones will and desire. Think of it as a marathon, stay determined ! It will better over time with some days or some weeks being better than others. You should not suffer from PAWS with your history.
    You are fortunate to be smart enough to catch this early on, as this could have become a HUGE problem over time. God knows I've been to hell and back.
    Good Luck on your journey ! Keep posting your progress, it will serve you well.
    Steve