Subutex
    domesticdiva is offline New Member

Question Subutex

I just started taking subutex on the 21st. After a 3 month relapse on oxy's and H, I was on methadone for a year and a half, until I decided I made an uneducated decision and realized I had only added fuel to the fire. Methadone was the worst decision of my life. Had I known how horrible it would make me feel, how it would OWN me basically, and that the w/d's were 10x worse then any other, I would have never got on it. After 5 days without the done, and using short acting opiates I was put on Subutex. Had I known I would be put on Subutex and not Suboxone, I wouldn't have even put myself through that w/d hell.
    I went to the DR. thinking I would be put on Suboxone. After a short assessment of my symptoms, a quick history of my past drug use and drug of choice, my doctor wrote out my script. He had written out one and then asked me if finances were an issue to me. Well, DUH!, aren't they to anyone, especially an addict? So, he ripped that one up and wrote me out another for what he told me were "generics". I knew there wasn't a generic for Suboxone. He then lectured me about how what I do with my drugs comes back on him. That there was a street value, yada, yada, yada. He seemed more concerned about him getting in to trouble then my wellbeing. I know that you can abuse Subutex and get high on other drugs while using them, and that is does not contain Naloxone like Suboxone. I would have just thought he would have wanted me to know all these things. Either way, I am way past the point of chasing a high and just want to have my life back. I just want to live a normal life, and feel like I am not hiding a huge secret since my husband is the only one who knows I am on anything.
    He told me to let 4 of the tablets dissolve under my tongue, the first day, and then take 3 every morning there on out. 32mg day one and 24 after? WHAT? First red flag. He also handed me one more script and told me they were a couple other medications to take daily. He gave me no information on any of what he gave me, which were Trazadone and Zoloft (thankfully I knew what they were from taking them in the past), and sent me on my way saying "See you in a month, go to meetings." Thanks doc, hope 15 minutes of your time wasn'ting too exhausting.
    I have read up of Subutex, and Suboxone, so I thought that 32mg on the first day, even at all, was insane. However he is a doctor, and a so-called Addictionologist, so I must hope he knows what he is talking about??
    I took only 3 the first day, 3- 8mg tablets, I was scared to take 4. It wasn't what I expected, having usually getting the warm feeling of methadone (probably better for me anyways). However, it did the job, took the w/d's away and I felt better. The worst part was my emotions were ALL over the place. I felt strung ot like I had done coke for 3 days, my jaw hurt, my ears ached and the headache was HELL. After not sleeping for 3 days straight I was looking forward to my first night of being able to sleep. NO SUCH LUCK. I only got 3 hours of forceful sleep and woke up feeling like I had earlier. That morning I only took 8mgs, and some of those feelings subsided. Sleep still hasnt come easily and I have had to take a OTC sleep aid on a couple occasions. The last 2 days I have actually taken 16mg. I still am having the headaches and mood swings, however I have read those are just side effects?
    It may only be in my head, but I felt like I have been experiencing mild withdrawals in the evenings on the last few days I took only 8mg. I had been taking only 30mgs of methadone for about 9 months prior to the switch and dealt with early stage withdrawals daily so I was more then used to it. I never felt stable on the lower dose of it. I hated it and after an attempt to taper, and detox after being on a stable dose of 120mg, I didn't feel like raising my dose higher then 30mg. I knew then that I wanted to try Suboxone when I could.
    So here is my question: Is it the norm for a DR. to prescribe Subutex instead of Suboxone, and should I be taking the daily 24mg as prescribed? I am not taking the Traz and Zoloft only because I am not sure they will be beneficial. Plus I've read it is not a good idea to take them with Subutex. I am just worried that my DR. doesn't know what in the hell he is talking about and am very uncomfortable with the fact he did not feel it necessary to educate me on anything he was prescribing me. Thank heavens I am walking book of narcotic/addiction knowledge. I do feel that those who have been there, done that, know more then DR's who have read a damn text book. Just my personal opinion.
    Sorry for the long post, just wanted to cover it all, in case anyone can offer some insight.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Check out this link. It explains how I have worked with people on subs here for years. I usually induct people at about 3-6mg very successfully. Obviously that is lots less than 32mg. Drs like that shouldn't even be allowed to prescribe medication. Let me know if you want my help. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Diva, it is a sad fact but doctors are usually totally uneducated when it comes to sub. They only have to take an 8 hour online course, and they're then able to perscribe it. It is rare to find a doctor who really knows what he's talking about or has your best interests at heart. Their aim is to keep you on for a long time at a high dose because it's a wonderful money maker for them and the pharma company who only makes these pills in 8 and 2 mg. doses when they should be made in much lower doses as they originally were in other countries . Sub is a strange drug in that, while it is a VERY strong and highly addictive opiate, it works differently than other narcotics. Less is always more when it comes to sub. After a >>>>>> addiction and then a 30+ year addiction to methadone, I switched to sub and was started on about 16 mgs. I felt so wired, it was awful. I definitely couldn't sleep. I quickly started to decrease my dose and I also started taking it once a day in the morning, foregoing the evening dose entirely. I would say it wasn't til I got down to about 4 mgs. that I started to feel normal. You should decrease your dose by 25% every 4th day until you're on a comfortable dose. You should then come here and try to talk to someone named Robert_325 or someone else with knowledge about tapering off sub entirely if that's your goal. Bear in mind, if you don't taper relatively quickly, you are pretty much in the same boat as someone on methadone or pills. It is not easy to come off of after long term use. Another thing - , suboxone and subutex are virtually the same thing. The naloxone in suboxone has no effect unless you shoot or snort the sub, in which case it can put you right into withdrawal. Nalaxone has a very short half life and is out of your system within hours. I have taken suboxone and now take subutex just because it's cheaper and who needs an additional drug in their body anyway?

Anonymous Guest

i went from methadone to sub, started at 12mg, and found i was strung out and couldnt sleep either.

once i got my dose down, it was a lot better. thats your problem, way too high.
    bring it down like the guys said, 25% at a time,
    i promise you will feel a lot better then.

and i only took my sub once a day, its a long lasting opiate, so once a day is plenty..... if you take it close to bedtime, you will have trouble sleeping.

all the best
    cheeky

15 days off opiates now. (was on sub for 1 year 3 months) before that methadone over 15 years and other stuff iv.

it can be done.... good luck

domesticdiva is offline New Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Check out this link. It explains how I have worked with people on subs here for years. I usually induct people at about 3-6mg very successfully. Obviously that is lots less than 32mg. Drs like that shouldn't even be allowed to prescribe medication. Let me know if you want my help. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    Robert,
    I would love to have you help me come off of the Subutex. I read how you suggest people go about it but how would you recommend I start tapering off of 16mg? TIA!!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by domesticdiva View Post
    Robert,
    I would love to have you help me come off of the Subutex. I read how you suggest people go about it but how would you recommend I start tapering off of 16mg? TIA!!

Tia ..... It's very simple. Reduce your dose by 25% every four days. Tomorrow go to 12mg, then four days later go to 9mg, etc. Take half the dose when you get up and the other half about 8-10 hours later. Keep doing that and post how it's going. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.