Suboxone Withdrawl Yikes
    tomgood232 is offline New Member

Question Suboxone Withdrawl Yikes

Hi. I've been on Suboxone for 2 years for an oxy addiction that began 2 years prior to that. I started at only 6mg daily but had the good/bad fortune of having a lax pharmacist overfill my prescription many times. So with an overabundance of meds, elevated to 8mg daily for most of the time. This past winter, my doctor began urging me to taper. I tried with mixed results. When i got back down to 6mg, I prematurely ran out of my sub with 2 weeks until my next script and appointment. I tapered down to 4mg very quickly, and then 2mg on my last day of dosing. 3 days later, I was in utter hell. I'd never experienced such miserable wd. Fortunately, work was slow and I could afford to take a week off. I only made it 8 days before calling my doctor and having a script called in. I then vowed to taper reasonably (lesson learned). I have tapered from 4mg to 2mg legitimately(2 months ago)and had been on 2mg daily until 2 weeks ago when I began taking 1mg daily. 1mg isn't exactly making me feel peachy but it's definitely keeping me from full-blown wd (the kind I experienced in January from cold turkey). Today I only took .5mg and I can honestly say that if I had to go to work today, I could definitely do so. I only have around 2mg left and my doctor didn't give me another appointment at my last appointment (he is determined that that was my last visit and i should be fine to stop taking suboxone). I am wondering, though, if i should have another script called in and stay at .5mg for a longer period of time. Possibly tapering all the way down to .25mg. Or is it just as well that i stop taking sub later this week. Will the wd be less severe than when I was withdrawing from 4-6mg?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

We recommend tapering down to at least .5mg, or to .25mg if necessary. Quite often those who use subs for a long time like yourself need to taper to .25mg. Then we skip one day entirely, take a dose, skip two days entirely, take a dose, skip three days entirely, take a dose. At this point you should have little trouble stopping. It's tough stopping abruptly, even at a small dose after using subs for two years. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thanks. On Day 4 anway (ended up jumping off at .5mg) and thankfully I can attest that the difference in severity is huge. Last night, went to dinner and had a great time. Didn't sleep well but was prepared for this (since last time) and didn't force anything. Stayed up for awhile and watched movies. I have emergency xanax (don't like to take benzos regularly) and am trying to eat well, be active and taking vitamins. Hot baths help, going to work, staying busy helps. I have learned that tylenol pm makes my restless arm thing more severe about an hour after falling asleep. Alcohol even worse. But all in all, I'm devoted and not finding this that unbearable having experienced 8 days off of 4-6mg daily. I look forward to posting here again, maybe a week down the road. Anybody can do this, if you're ready. And by ready I mean informed and prepared and fortified (and tired of being drug dependent). And if you don't make it first time, keep trying. Maybe its just me, but suboxone made me **********y and irritable. Despite fatigue and other symptoms, I actually feel lighter and easiergoing without it's haze.

Methastoner is offline New Member

Smile try to keep tapering

Quote Originally Posted by tomgood232 View Post
    Hi. I've been on Suboxone for 2 years for an oxy addiction that began 2 years prior to that. I started at only 6mg daily but had the good/bad fortune of having a lax pharmacist overfill my prescription many times. So with an overabundance of meds, elevated to 8mg daily for most of the time. This past winter, my doctor began urging me to taper. I tried with mixed results. When i got back down to 6mg, I prematurely ran out of my sub with 2 weeks until my next script and appointment. I tapered down to 4mg very quickly, and then 2mg on my last day of dosing. 3 days later, I was in utter hell. I'd never experienced such miserable wd. Fortunately, work was slow and I could afford to take a week off. I only made it 8 days before calling my doctor and having a script called in. I then vowed to taper reasonably (lesson learned). I have tapered from 4mg to 2mg legitimately(2 months ago)and had been on 2mg daily until 2 weeks ago when I began taking 1mg daily. 1mg isn't exactly making me feel peachy but it's definitely keeping me from full-blown wd (the kind I experienced in January from cold turkey). Today I only took .5mg and I can honestly say that if I had to go to work today, I could definitely do so. I only have around 2mg left and my doctor didn't give me another appointment at my last appointment (he is determined that that was my last visit and i should be fine to stop taking suboxone). I am wondering, though, if i should have another script called in and stay at .5mg for a longer period of time. Possibly tapering all the way down to .25mg. Or is it just as well that i stop taking sub later this week. Will the wd be less severe than when I was withdrawing from 4-6mg?

Like the others said, being on it for that long means ease the taper more if you can. I know its hard and may not be financialy viable but even if you could get weekly scripts and taper you from .5 to a lower dose and possibly instead of skipping a day and then dose at the .25 level, split the pill and take it each day. when your down to your last bottle for good try and split the pill into 4 pieces if possible. Even though you may feel withdrawl at .125 mg and at .0625mg (being a quarter pill of .25 if that dose exists where you are) once you are completly done your pills the withdrawl will be nothing compared to stopping at .5 or .25 . Once your done your pills or possibly at your low dose start taking advil and imodium. Amitripylene is good also a nights for people in opiate withdrawl as it has sedative/pain killing/anti depressant qualities. If your not a benzodiazepine abuser ask your doctor for a small prescription for chlordiazepoxide. It will calm you down and has a long half life which is great as ones like lorazepam and zanax dont and make matters worse because of the low half life giving a rebound effect of anxiety.

I succesfully got off of opiates with chlordiazepoxide (librium). At the time I was bitter that I didn't get something (better) like zanax but found that librium lasts way longer which is what you really need. It doesn't have as good of a high as other benzodiazepines but of all the benzo's it's the golden egg with opiate withdrawls particularly at the end of tapers.

As for cold turkey at higher dosages of opiates, stronger benzo's would more than likely be needed. I hope some of this information helps you out and I don't expect you to follow it like a recipe but hope it gave you some helpful tips along the way no matter how you decide to finish your taper. I hope and pray you atleast try opiate free life past the withdrawl as it like being released from jail. Go on a month long camping trip if you could. It'd keep you away from temptation and give you time to reflect on your life.

Remember your remembered for two things in life. What you lived for and what you died for. Make your loved ones proud and live for something drug free. I know ex users who have taken up acting due to the fact that they became the greatest liars/actors to get money/drugs. That is pure experience. In my city we get many movies being made here in the summer and they get "extras" parts and one liners if there lucky.

When I got opiate free I thought to myself "i no longer have anything chaining me down". So I went for everything i couldn't do before. Went on trips, spent time with family more, acted, roamed the country looking for what i was looking for when opiates fooled me. Good Luck.

Default Made it to Day 47

I stuck with it and made it to day 47 (today). Things sucked for the first 20 days or so. Then they moved into a milder, more functional waxing and waning-style malaise and dysphoria. Suboxone withdrawl is an endurance test more than anything. The wd symptoms are way milder than a full-agonist opoid but they drag out so long that it begins to tax you psychologically. I'm still dealing with aches and gross feelings first thing in the morning. But I am sleeping well now and have found the little things that help me get through the day (advil and coffee). I haven't missed a single day of work since starting wd. So you know it could've been much worse. I'm still checking off days on the calendar and won't stop until I feel 100%.

tomgood ... congratulations on 47 days! I know it would have been easier on you to taper a little more and then skip days but this has worked for you. That's all that matters. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

danddtwins is offline New Member

hello, I am posting on here but also sent a message to robert_325.I have been reading on here and could use some advice from anyone who can help. My twin and I are trying to taper from suboxone. After many years on methadone we managed to switch to suboxone sucessfully. Our doctor doesnt seem to know an awful lot about this drug so we have found our info on-line and done O.K. to this point. We are currently on 2-3 mgs down from 16mgs he started us on. I had surgery (3 level fusion) about 4 1/2 weeks ago and used my suboxone to get through.It worked just fine. Now we both want to taper and eventually detox or end all opiate use once and for all. I read all kinds of stoies and it can be discouraging or encouraging depending on the story. I think weve done well to this point but getting from 2 mgs to where we want to be is the hard part??i think??? any advice is very welcomed and very appreciated. What do we do to prepare? what do we do as far as tapering?? how long should this take??we are in no certain rush as it took a long time to get here. We both raise one twins daughter who is 15 and have come a long way from using any opiate as much as we could to 8 yrs MMT and trying Ibogaine (thats a whole other story...YIKES!! what a nightmare) to suboxone at 16mgs to our current 2 mgs for 1 twin and 3 mgs for the other. Thanks to you all and may your god whoever it is be with you. dave n drew the twins
    Last edited by danddtwins; 06-15-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danddtwins View Post
    hello, I am posting on here but also sent a message to robert_325.I have been reading on here and could use some advice from anyone who can help. My twin and I are trying to taper from suboxone. After many years on methadone we managed to switch to suboxone sucessfully. Our doctor doesnt seem to know an awful lot about this drug so we have found our info on-line and done O.K. to this point. We are currently on 2-3 mgs down from 16mgs he started us on. I had surgery (3 level fusion) about 4 1/2 weeks ago and used my suboxone to get through.It worked just fine. Now we both want to taper and eventually detox or end all opiate use once and for all. I read all kinds of stoies and it can be discouraging or encouraging depending on the story. I think weve done well to this point but getting from 2 mgs to where we want to be is the hard part??i think??? any advice is very welcomed and very appreciated. What do we do to prepare? what do we do as far as tapering?? how long should this take??we are in no certain rush as it took a long time to get here. We both raise one twins daughter who is 15 and have come a long way from using any opiate as much as we could to 8 yrs MMT and trying Ibogaine (thats a whole other story...YIKES!! what a nightmare) to suboxone at 16mgs to our current 2 mgs for 1 twin and 3 mgs for the other. Thanks to you all and may your god whoever it is be with you. dave n drew the twins

You should reduce your dose by 25% every four days that you experience no w/d symptoms. If you read around the forum you'll find this is how most people do the taper here with the most success. If you continue to post on this thread I'll follow you as you taper down and make suggestions as applicable. God bless.

danddtwins is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    You should reduce your dose by 25% every four days that you experience no w/d symptoms. If you read around the forum you'll find this is how most people do the taper here with the most success. If you continue to post on this thread I'll follow you as you taper down and make suggestions as applicable. God bless.
    Thanks so much for your help.I have found lots of useful info by reading the posts and will keep updating my progress. I am currnetly on day 3 at 2 mgs (maybe a bit less) and mostly just feel a lack of energy but it is tolerable and I am just glad I am not feeling any harsh symptoms of w/d's. I am hoping to get the 2mg tablets to allow for more accurate tapering but so far so good with what I have. It seems that the 2mgs would be best at achieving a more accurate drop in mgs.I have been through some horrible w/d's in my younger years so I am sure I can beat this. I also have been trying to keep up with as many meeting as I can for support but its a bit difficult finding understanding people in the meetings with being on subs. Some are very harsh and it frustrates me that they wouldnt welcome someone sincerely trying to overcome this especially after having surgery only 5 weeks ago but I am doing my best to seek understanding people. thanks again for the support on this site.It has been extremely helpful. sincerely, dave

RubyDean is offline Member

tomgood, i was so relieved to hear you mention taking tylanol pm makes you have restless arm and trouble sleeping. that same exact thing happened to me the other night, and i thought it was just my taper of subs to .75, but the next night it didn't happen. I suggest anyone on subs to not take tylanol pm. great job on sticking it out after your jump, it's is amazing really. can't wait to be off myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyDean View Post
    tomgood, i was so relieved to hear you mention taking tylanol pm makes you have restless arm and trouble sleeping. that same exact thing happened to me the other night, and i thought it was just my taper of subs to .75, but the next night it didn't happen. I suggest anyone on subs to not take tylanol pm. great job on sticking it out after your jump, it's is amazing really. can't wait to be off myself.

RubyDean ..... you are getting really close. You don't have much longer and you'll be done. It will be time soon to start skipping days. From the day you start skipping days you should be done in two weeks. As good as you've done I bet you'll do fine if you begin skipping after you get to .5mg. You can go lower but I did it at .5mg and so have lots of others. It's more mental after .5mg than anything else. Congratulations on your success. God bless.

Hope everything is going ok for danddtwins and Rubydean. Im on 105 days off of the suboxone. I still get wd symptoms or PAWS, mostly in the mornings. But I'm kind of used to it now. I've read that it can take over 6 months for the brain to remember to use certain pathways again and so its only a matter of time before I feel 100%. Haven't had any cravings which is awesome. It's hard to find posts of people who have been off suboxone for a long time and are back to feeling completely normal as it seems once they are feeling good, they lose interest in posting. I'll keep posting to give an idea of time-frame for full recovery (atleast for me, everybody is different).

Quote Originally Posted by tomgood232 View Post
    Hope everything is going ok for danddtwins and Rubydean. Im on 105 days off of the suboxone. I still get wd symptoms or PAWS, mostly in the mornings. But I'm kind of used to it now. I've read that it can take over 6 months for the brain to remember to use certain pathways again and so its only a matter of time before I feel 100%. Haven't had any cravings which is awesome. It's hard to find posts of people who have been off suboxone for a long time and are back to feeling completely normal as it seems once they are feeling good, they lose interest in posting. I'll keep posting to give an idea of time-frame for full recovery (atleast for me, everybody is different).

Hi tomgood ..... Good to see you again buddy! I too wished more people stuck around that are clean. We have LOTS of them but they get on with their life when they get clean and I can't judge them adversely for that.

THis isn't a deal where you get clean and suddenly life is good and all wonderful again. We abuse ourselves for years, we don't get well in a month. It takes time to repair all the damage we did to ourselves and others. If we continue to do the next right thing everything gets better and better.

It took me years to recover from the damage I did. I wish it had been only six months like you said. I've been working on this for years. When I became a Christian that was the biggest turnaround for how I feel. But those goofy drugs are strong and so is the devil trying to jerk us around.

As long as you don't use it will keep getting better. Congratulations on living the miracle of recovery. God bless.

ddosher is offline Member

I'm still around (been off since March 9th) and still not 100%. My head still hurts even after all this time and I have to believe it is directly related to getting off the drugs because I never had headaches like this ever before I jumped off Suboxone. My spirits are not great (although I do believe for the most part that it is a situational depression and not one that will last forever.) I took a step and went to speak with someone yesterday. I melted down a little which was probably good for me to release some tension. It will take more time for this counselor to determine if I may need some type of medication which is fine with me. While I am not opposed to meds, if just getting some of my issues to the surface will help and I do not need to engage with the meds, that is fine too. I've lived like this for a while now so I can go for a while more. Life has gotten better...there are not AS MANY obstacles for me. I had lost my car and my home due to my stupidity. I still have my business which is holding steady and growing. I was able to get a small apt. close to work so the issue of transportation is not as hard right now. Hopefully Christmas will bring enough business for me to afford a used vehicle. I'm praying. So I have sure been knocked down many pegs, but I am a survivor and in litle ways each day my prayers are answered. I keep repeating and reminding myself hundreds of times eah day to"do the next right thing". I thank Robert for that little ditty...it's like a short prayer for me that makes it very easy to make lots of decisions.
    I plan on sticking around here to try and assist and remind people that people and situations can get better if only we allow ourselves to be open to their possibilities. The very best of luck to you!

whathappened2me is offline New Member

thats great to hear. i tried cold turkey and it was the worst w/d ever! for me i would love to taper off for good but i fear the w/d so bad i dont think i could chance not having any just in case, but i also realize no pain no gain, at some point i need to make a stand and get off this ********, it has helped but i think it is just another addiction! i want to be clean and start a new life! good luck to you and everyone who has this problem , i dont wish this on my worst enemy,i wish i cold turkey from the start!!

Quote Originally Posted by whathappened2me View Post
    thats great to hear. i tried cold turkey and it was the worst w/d ever! for me i would love to taper off for good but i fear the w/d so bad i dont think i could chance not having any just in case, but i also realize no pain no gain, at some point i need to make a stand and get off this ********, it has helped but i think it is just another addiction! i want to be clean and start a new life! good luck to you and everyone who has this problem , i dont wish this on my worst enemy,i wish i cold turkey from the start!!

When you're ready to taper off relatively painlessly like the others let us know. It's not that hard if you will follow some simple instructions.
    Check out the following link about sub therapy. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html