Soft drinks a pain killers
    firecreature is offline New Member

Default Soft drinks a pain killers

I had came down with a head ache so i decided to take a couple asprin. and when i went to wash them down with a glass of coke my grandmother allmost had a heart attack saying that i should never do that. Now i was aware about alcohol and pain killers don't mix. But soft drinks? I don't exactly take my grandmothers word on any of this. Considering i drink coke most of the time and i'v washed down all my pills with this. and it didn't seam to effect me. but she claimed that drinking it with coke made you high. anyways i feel like a complete idiot even asking this question. but it dosent hurt to ask other peoples opinion on this. I have herd that often times a soft drink will cancel the effect of the pill that dosent sound illogical. or possibly the excessive caffine in the drink might alter the effect of the pill. But nothing really significant. anyways, anybody got any comments on this feel free to respond.

-fire

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Well between my husband and myself, we are on everything from antidepressants to diabetes and pain meds and have always taken them with Coke or Diet Coke, never had a problem in years. I know it is recommended that you take them with water as it aids the pills solubility but I think if there were severe problems the warning would be on the pop cans or bottles! More than likely just something she heard somewhere or an old wives tale that has derived from the time Coke was actually made with cocaine as an ingredient.

On another note, my husband has also taken antipsychotics with Diet Coke and never had a problem. When he was in the mental hospital, they let you take them with whatever you were drinking.

Chronic Pain sufferer from severe spinal scoliosis with herniated discs and pinched nerves.

noobee is offline New Member

I have heard this too, but I think it is urban legend.
    There is no way you can get high on aspirin and Coke. There used to be a small amount of cocaine in Coca Cola, but certainly not enough to get “high.” The caffeine in Coke may actually boost the pain relieving power of aspirin - caffeine is often added to painkillers for that reason.