Should I Head to the ER?
    Xplorer4x4 is offline New Member

Default Should I Head to the ER?

I am 27 years old. I am not sure if my back history is important but suffice to say I have a history of back pain. Most doctors used to diagnose it as muscle spasms but my current doctor has added degenerative disc disease, among other things, to that. I have only been seeing my current doctor(FNP to be exact) since an MVA 2 years ago. I have been on pain medications since then(tramodol, lortab, soma, and ibuprofen). Last night, I had felt good most the day so I had been on computer for several hours with occasional 5 min break here and there. I had to pick my girlfriend up from work at 9 PM, and as I was about to get off the computer and noticed a slightly odd ache in the center of my low back. I took half of a lortab 10 and figured that was sufficient. I stood up, and the pain increased a little. I went to slip on a pair of jeans over my shorts like I always do. I got them buttoned, zipped. and my belt tightened. Then it hit me! The ache in my back suddenly turned in to breath taking pain. I was paralyzed with pain and it took every bit of strength I had to keep my legs from buckling and plummeting to the floor. I barley made it to the couch, and my dog was freaking out which is not like her. I couldnt sit down and just had to twist and turn my way on to the couch. Since then, my meds barley put a dent in the pain. Getting off the couch to go to the bathroom leaves me in tears and exhausted. I have sharp pain in the low back radiating down the tail bone slightly, around the outter edge of the butt cheeks, and extreme tingling in the legs and toes with cold feet. Some slight leg tingling is normal to me, but not this much. From what I can tell this looks like siatica symptoms more then muscle spasms. It it worth an er bill or even a visit to the clinic?

Tink102487 is offline New Member

Honestly, to me it sounds like you need to see Pain Management Talk with your PCP first, see what he/she thinks. I work as a medical assistant in pain management. There are many things the doctor can do to help with the pain. But talk with your PCP first.

If you lose control of your bowls or bladder then I would go to the ER asap. Good luck!

Xplorer4x4 is offline New Member

I have seen a pain management doctor before. Long story short, he had no bed side manor, gave a nurse a death stare for singing, gave me an epidural and told me to walk *immediately* after the injection. I said my legs felt weak, he dismissed as a patient and sent me to drive myself home on the snow covered roads. The slat barn for the metro area was destroyed in a tornado the previous summer so the city was not able to treat the roads quickly. I dont feel like going in to details atm, but I have had a tone of treatment for my back as well. I would be glad to elaborate when I am not typing from my phone. I am curious though, what can a real pain management doctor do for me?

Oh and for what it is worth, it was painful in my low back when urinating or having a bowl movement. The pain is not completely gone, but it is much more manageable now.