RX for 20 days
    nobby02 is offline Member

Default RX for 20 days

Looking on line I see the my FP gave me an RX of vicodin for 20 days, I thought it was because this months supply would correspond with my surgery but it shows 120 vidodin/20 day supply for months. This doesn't make sense as when I have called previously as far as I can remember I am allowed a refill every 30 days. Would there be any reason for this, ie. insurance or something that it would be written this way. The last time I called I don't remember the office girl stating it could not be done until 30 days but I remember her saying it the month before. I always call a few days before so I get it in time and the FP will post date the RX.

Titty Puff is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobby02 View Post
    Looking on line I see the my FP gave me an RX of vicodin for 20 days, I thought it was because this months supply would correspond with my surgery but it shows 120 vidodin/20 day supply for months. This doesn't make sense as when I have called previously as far as I can remember I am allowed a refill every 30 days. Would there be any reason for this, ie. insurance or something that it would be written this way. The last time I called I don't remember the office girl stating it could not be done until 30 days but I remember her saying it the month before. I always call a few days before so I get it in time and the FP will post date the RX.
    I am not sure why you got a 20 day prescription. I, myself too, am finding my doctor to begin prescribing me 2-week (14-day) prescriptions. I hate it. It makes me have to come back every 2 weeks recently. I heard from somewhere, I forget from where, that the doctor receives some type of cash money from the insurance companies or medicine companies for the prescription for doing this.

I'm going to ask my doctor when I see him on Monday to start prescribing me 1-month prescriptions to my Roxycodone 30mg pain medication again. He was prescribing me 120 per month for a year, and now has just started prescribing me 90 every 2 weeks instead of 180 for the entire month. I live far away and can't drive so it's hard for me to come back every 2 weeks; every month is hard enough (I wish narcotics had refills!).

nobby02 is offline Member

Yes, it is strange. I am still trying to figure out why he writes it as a 20 supply. The number of pills hasn't changed, unless he has upped the number I am to take a day. 120/20 is 6 and 120/30 is 4, but as he seems to be very aware of addiction and dependence and is not a pain doc but my reg FP I thought he would have told me. Like I said I thought it was just for this month as my surgery is scheduled and I am assuming I would get pain relief from the neurosurgeon and the 20 day supply would be so that insurance and the pharmacy would be able to fill the post op surgery meds.