Robert_325....Please Assist
    gl_dad is offline New Member

Default Robert_325....Please Assist

Could you please assist in my taper process for Suboxone. A little background, I am a user of Pain Pills (mainly vicodin) off/on for the past 4 years (maybe 6 months clean). Until now my average daily intake was 12 - 15 10's. I met with my new doctor this morning and was prescribed 8mg of Suboxone (4 mg twice daily). I took my first dose about 2 hours ago and I really do feel great (ie. can eat, get out and spend time with my boys and wife). I have always wanted to quit, but the anxiety/depression/insomnia that still lingered by week 6 always drove me back to the pills.

My doctor seems sincere and I explained that I don't want to be on the Sub forever (fear of another addiction) and he said 6 - 12 months was usually standard and that he has a few patients that take 1mg a day (for over 2 years). I want to be off as soon as possible with as few as can be expected WD's (doesn't everyone). Could you please provide me a detailed (I am very 'techie' so the more precise/detailed you could be the best) a approach to limit my usage of Sub to make me as 'normal' as possible? My job requires a lot of time as well as it is very stressful, so I have to limit my downtime. Again, I want to share with my doctor your recommendations and see what he thinks, I don't want to battle this 6 months from now.

Any help/guidance/assistance you could provide would be much appreciated.

PS......Congrats on your recent engagement!!!!!!

Robert -

Just to update you. I took 4 mg this morning after my appointment (9:30 AM EST) and then took another 4 mg (6:00PM EST). I am not sure I really need that much, but have been reading your previous post and looks like you recommend some sort of consistency. I would prefer to take them earlier 7 - 8 AM and then 3 - 4 PM, thoughts? From there, I am extremely excited for us to discuss my taper (btw....I have 2 boys and a wife depending on me ).

I am also keeping a spreadsheet log of what/when I take. I don't want to take 'as needed', but take when I am suppose to and get this chapter of my life behind me and move on to the goals I set prior to this nightmare.

Again, I look forward to talking with you!

Robert -

Want to add another comment, just in case you catch this topic soon. As mentioned earlier, I took 8 mg (2 4 mg) today as instructed by my Doc, however I feel this might be to much. Am I taking to much? Should I only take 2 2mg or 2 3mg or stay at this level (2 4mg) for 1 week?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by gl_dad View Post
    Robert -

Want to add another comment, just in case you catch this topic soon. As mentioned earlier, I took 8 mg (2 4 mg) today as instructed by my Doc, however I feel this might be to much. Am I taking to much? Should I only take 2 2mg or 2 3mg or stay at this level (2 4mg) for 1 week?

I was in bed yesterday ill. So didn't post to hardly anyone. 8mg for the day is not bad for the first week while you're in opiate detox from the original drug of choice. You can drop to 6mg and see how that works for you but I would keep it there for a total of one week since you began. Then you want to start reducing your dose by 25% every four days as long as you don't have any problems. If you do let me know. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I was in bed yesterday ill. So didn't post to hardly anyone. 8mg for the day is not bad for the first week while you're in opiate detox from the original drug of choice. You can drop to 6mg and see how that works for you but I would keep it there for a total of one week since you began. Then you want to start reducing your dose by 25% every four days as long as you don't have any problems. If you do let me know. Hope that helps. God bless.

Robert

Thanks for replying, based on your post, is the table below accurate or am I jumping ahead of myself. Please adjust according to your recommendations:

Date AM PM
    16-Jul-10 4 mg 4 mg
    17-Jul-10 4 mg 4 mg
    18-Jul-10 4 mg 4 mg
    19-Jul-10 4 mg 4 mg
    20-Jul-10 4 mg 4 mg
    21-Jul-10 4 mg 4 mg
    22-Jul-10 4 mg 4 mg
    23-Jul-10 3 mg 3 mg
    24-Jul-10 3 mg 3 mg
    25-Jul-10 3 mg 3 mg
    26-Jul-10 3 mg 3 mg
    27-Jul-10 3 mg 3 mg
    28-Jul-10 3 mg 3 mg
    29-Jul-10 3 mg 3 mg
    30-Jul-10 2.25 mg 2.25 mg
    31-Jul-10 2.25 mg 2.25 mg
    1-Aug-10 2.25 mg 2.25 mg
    2-Aug-10 2.25 mg 2.25 mg
    3-Aug-10 1.75 mg 1.75 mg
    4-Aug-10 1.75 mg 1.75 mg
    5-Aug-10 1.75 mg 1.75 mg
    6-Aug-10 1.75 mg 1.75 mg
    7-Aug-10 1.25 mg 1.25 mg
    8-Aug-10 1.25 mg 1.25 mg
    9-Aug-10 1.25 mg 1.25 mg
    10-Aug-10 1.25 mg 1.25 mg
    11-Aug-10 1 mg 1 mg
    12-Aug-10 1 mg 1 mg
    13-Aug-10 1 mg 1 mg
    14-Aug-10 1 mg 1 mg
    15-Aug-10 .75 mg .75 mg
    16-Aug-10 .75 mg .75 mg
    17-Aug-10 .75 mg .75 mg
    18-Aug-10 .75 mg .75 mg
    19-Aug-10 .5 mg .5 mg
    20-Aug-10
    21-Aug-10 .5 mg .5 mg
    22-Aug-10
    23-Aug-10 .5 mg .5 mg
    24-Aug-10
    25-Aug-10 .5 mg .5 mg

gl_dad ........ that looks pretty good for a tentative schedule except that when you have a week planned between doses I personally would TRY to be a little more agressive and see how it works for you, meaning reducing every four days or so rather than a week. Push yourself a little and see how you do. Most people don't require a week between reductions especially in the beginning at higher doses. Understand that it's tough though to plan accurately a month or more in advance and stick to it to the letter. I have to allow for some flexibility to my own sub therapy plan as well. I have to make suggestions based on symptoms as they can change. Luckily for us, being able to talk together a lot, drs aren't able to do what we do like we do this here. So in many respects we can do things here a dr is unable to do based on simple logistics.

It's okay to "pencil" it in the planner, but be prepared to make adjustments as things can happen that cause things to change slightly. We are all a little different from each other and that is why I speak with people regularly with those I'm working with to answer questions that come up regarding any potential side effects that sometimes occur or whatever may happen. Not always occuring just sometimes, but it isn't a ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL deal doing this.

We have to be prepared for necessary changes to our original plan that may occur. I can't even tell you what all the changes might be. Let's just play it by ear trying to use your plan as a tentative guide. It's close enough to the plan I normally suggest that I don't think it's TOO far off base. I normally suggest a reduction of 25% of your current daily dose every four days as a guide, but that plan also sometimes requires adjustments. I've had a few people that could reduce every three days and others that needed a week. It's based on things like how we metabolize drugs, fluid intake, activity level, all kinds of variables so just be perpared and keep me up to date on what's happening.

I'm around here a lot, not continuously, but I'm online here most days if I can help you and I've been here for years doing this. Let me know if or when you have any problems. Be specific and try to keep ALL of our personal communication right here on this thread so it's easy for me to look back and see our notes just like a dr uses a medical file. I can't remember everything off the top of my head speaking with SOOO many people and this forum enables me to give you the right advice based on your history and trends. Hope that makes sense.

I'll do all I can to help you get past this challenge in your life. I just ask that you do everything in your power to follow the suggestions I give you as I will only suggest things to you that have proven to work over and over again over a period of years. I know how to do this pretty well I assure you. Talk with you soon. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 07-17-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Robert -

Thanks for the taking the time to explain your process it is very much welcomed and appreciated. FYI.....I have total confidence in everything that you say and will do my best to follow those instructions to the fullest. If I stray for any reason, rest assured I will not hold anything back and will be upfront and honest.

Also, I am currently having the following issues:
    1. Slight headache after my afternoon dose (relieved by a couple of advil)
    2. Sleep. I am on Ambien and have been for the last 2 years (thats another addiction to break at a later time). My doctor told that it was fine to take the 2 together (ie. Suboxone & Ambien), however, some sites I have seen do not recommend mixing the two. Long story shot, I took 1/2 my normal dose of Ambien last night (5 mg) and could not sleep, I had a lot of sweating when I did fall asleep, but sweating of my head only. I think I still might be a little anxious about the Suboxone as well as concern of mixing the two.
    3. Constipation, should I just take Metamucil or would you recommend something else?

Thanks again for your continued support! Please let me know if you have any concerns as well.

I also take Effexor 75 mg XR - every other day. I only take to ward off the uncomfortable side effects and have been doing so for the past few years. I really feel confident in the doctor that I have (same that is prescribing Suboxone), as he seems to have a genuine interest in working with me and to eliminate/change the other medications and address my Anxiety/Depression issues after we tackle the opiate addiction.

Sorry for the ramble and thanks again!

Robert -

I hope you are feeling better! I just wanted to give you an update.

Last night, I took my Ambien as usual (10 mg) and slept just fine. I am still having the constipation issue as well as less urination (similar to issues I had while on opiates).

Also, I am having a hard time breaking the Sub. It seems to not break in 2 even pieces, which leads me to believe I am taking 4.5 - 5 mg in the morning and 3.0 - 3.5 mg in the afternoon. Not sure if this is a big deal, but I want to provide you with as much specific detail as possible.

Besides feeling pretty darn good, I have also noticed that I am not as tired in the morning when I wake up as compared to the mornings during opiate use, where it seemed I struggled very hard to wake up.

Again, any information you could provide on this and my previous post would be appreciated as usual. Also, let me know if they is anything I could do for you! I have a couple of talents myself, specifically around computer related items. So, any advice you might need in that arena don't hesitate to ask.

gl_dad ....... this isn't such an exact science that if you're getting the doses that close eyeballing it that is close enough. When you get down to very small doses I can share some tricks up my sleeve to make dosing accurately a lot easier.

But don't worry about the issues you mentioned for now. You're doing well. Just keep me posted about everything going on so we stay on the same page. Take care and God bless.

alwayson is offline New Member

Default I'm also looking for some advice from you Robert

I've been trying to track you down on here...hope this gets thru to you..I am also trying to do a short suboxone taper and am scared to death and could greatly use your expertise with the tapering...I am currently at 12mg a day this being day four. trying to taper as quickly as possible as I DO NOT want to become addicted to the suboxone as well... if you could message me. I just signed on to the website so I dont know how posting works exactly still. Have been lurking for a few weeks now.. any advice and help you could lend would be a Godsend...thanks.. alwayson