refusing adequate treatment to a patient
    nbe304 is offline New Member

Default refusing adequate treatment to a patient

mainly i want to know if a doctor, actually a dentist, can legally perform an extraction on a wisdom tooth, where they had to go in and actually cut the gum open, break the tooth into pieces, than extract it, taking over an hour in the process of doing it and causing some SEVERE swelling and pain, can they refuse to write adequate pain medication just because im allergic to Codeine and cant take Tylenol3 which is what they wanted to prescribe, so instead they refused to prescribe me anything for pain, is this legal?

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

It's legal. You should have made a plan with the dentist before he did the work. However, and you aren't going to agree with this most likely, I had several teeth pulled at one time. The dentist refused to give me anything stronger than tylenol with codeine which is actually extremely weak. It didn't help the pain and I wanted something stronger. He refused due to my history and suggested perscription strength motrin (4 over the counter pills). I thought it was ridiculous but had no choice, took the motrin and miracle of miracles!!! It helped my pain.

endlessPred is offline New Member

Did you call your regular doctor? He/she can help,you out. That is what we did for our daughter when she had all four wisdom teeth pulled. Hang in there. Only the first few,days are a problem. Stay away from NSAID (aspirin and ibuprofen) because they cause bleeding in some people. Cool liquids help.