Questions about Methadone
    outofanswers01 is offline New Member

Question Questions about Methadone

Hi, all...

I am on Methadone and have been since July 09. I am currently taking 100mgs/day. I have a few questions about this...

I have heard of a lot of people gaining weight on this medicine including me! My counselor tells me the reason is because when you stop using opiates, you tend to get your appetite back and now that you're in a healthier frame of mind, you eat again. I'm not sure if I buy that story at all! I am on methadone because my pain pill usage got out of hand...and I have heard this same story from so many people. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease after years of suffering and years of many prescriptions for narcotics. I knew the level of addiction was high on pain pills and I didn't even realize how addicted I was until my boyfriend brought this to my attention. I needed to find a medicine that would help me with the withdraw AND help control my pain from Crohn's disease. I found it very difficult to gain weight and lost 90 lbs in just a few months at one point when I was at my sickest with Crohn's. Pain was out of control and with methadone, my level of pain is considerably better and tolerable. I assume I just grew a huge tolerance to opiates during those years of taking them.

Is it possible to grow a tolerance to Methadone? I find that after being on a certain dose for a few weeks, I can tell my dose isn't right- they adjust up by 3 mgs, I do better.. then a few weeks later, I have to be adjusted up again. I just wonder when I'll be set at a certain level and not have to go up anymore.

I am also curious about people who abuse methadone- How and why? I have never gotten a high feeling from this drug ever so I am just curious how or why people abuse it? If anything, it made me sleepy the first few times until my body because adjusted to it. I even got nauseated and threw up during those first couple of weeks of starting methadone. I do recall being so sleepy it could almost be mistaken for a buzzed feeling almost but that last twice and was over with. I just don't understand why anyone would take this drug for fun? Maybe it's a naive question, but I'm still curious!

Also... has anyone else out there resorted to methadone because they needed to resolve pain issues like me? I keep hearing about suboxine (sp?) & how that drug is better but I also hear it gives some people the high feeling. I don't want to take something that gives me that feeling in fear I'll want to abuse it! Who are we kidding? That is the best feeling ever.. it's just not a way to live life and it's not healthy.

Methadone has also caused me issues in the bedroom! It's not that I am not interested or that I can't have sex, it's that I have found it is much MUCH harder to have an orgasm on this medicine. I thought that would eventually subside but it hasn't. Sometimes it can be extremely frustrating. It has not effected my sexual relationship with my boyfriend at all and I still am able to "get in the mood" and make love- I just wonder if that part will ever get easier? When I tried to talk to the nurse about it, she said it's mainly men that have that issue, not women. That didn't make me feel much better!!

Any ideas for anything that can help? I have heard about Vitadone but after research decided a normal over the counter vitamin would work just as well as that and is cheaper. If I could change anything, it would be the weight gain and the sweating. I am always warmer then everyone else! That part is frustrating too!

Thanks for listening! Any advice is much appreciated!!

diane1123 is offline Junior Member

So sorry to here about your crohns disease. I have used methdone to stop the w/ds from hydros. I would not suggest useing methdone unless it is going to be for life long pain. My mom was put on methdone last year but she will be on it from now on, she takes 5mgs three times a day along with here hydros.
    Anyway, if anyway possiable please dont use methdone
    wishing you the best with everything
    diane1123

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Maybe our member MVPT will weigh in as he takes a very high dose of methadone, I remember he had to bump up a couple of times, I think it might be likely you'll eventually have a small tolerance, but I think it takes a long time, he took it for addiction problems not pain if I remember right.
    My understanding of weight gain on meth is mostly because it makes the user crave sugar, I've never heard your counselor's theory before, it doesn't sound correct to me except from an addicts perspective, I wouldn't expect a >>>>>> addict or serious opioid user to have a sensible diet, for a CP patient I don't buy it.
    Bedroom issues I think can be expected with any opioid use, I always say the best aphrodisiac for women is alcohol but obviously that doesn't mix with methadone, I don't know what to suggest except for more stimulation, but first you have to be in the mood for it, don't know, sorry.
    Seek out methadone specific sites, they're the users with the most experience.
    Suboxone really isn't that good for pain mgmt.
    I hope I answered all your questions.
    Cats

EricaMarie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by outofanswers01 View Post
    Hi, all...

I am on Methadone and have been since July 09. I am currently taking 100mgs/day. I have a few questions about this...

I have heard of a lot of people gaining weight on this medicine including me! My counselor tells me the reason is because when you stop using opiates, you tend to get your appetite back and now that you're in a healthier frame of mind, you eat again. I'm not sure if I buy that story at all! I am on methadone because my pain pill usage got out of hand...and I have heard this same story from so many people. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease after years of suffering and years of many prescriptions for narcotics. I knew the level of addiction was high on pain pills and I didn't even realize how addicted I was until my boyfriend brought this to my attention. I needed to find a medicine that would help me with the withdraw AND help control my pain from Crohn's disease. I found it very difficult to gain weight and lost 90 lbs in just a few months at one point when I was at my sickest with Crohn's. Pain was out of control and with methadone, my level of pain is considerably better and tolerable. I assume I just grew a huge tolerance to opiates during those years of taking them.

Is it possible to grow a tolerance to Methadone? I find that after being on a certain dose for a few weeks, I can tell my dose isn't right- they adjust up by 3 mgs, I do better.. then a few weeks later, I have to be adjusted up again. I just wonder when I'll be set at a certain level and not have to go up anymore.

I am also curious about people who abuse methadone- How and why? I have never gotten a high feeling from this drug ever so I am just curious how or why people abuse it? If anything, it made me sleepy the first few times until my body because adjusted to it. I even got nauseated and threw up during those first couple of weeks of starting methadone. I do recall being so sleepy it could almost be mistaken for a buzzed feeling almost but that last twice and was over with. I just don't understand why anyone would take this drug for fun? Maybe it's a naive question, but I'm still curious!

Also... has anyone else out there resorted to methadone because they needed to resolve pain issues like me? I keep hearing about suboxine (sp?) & how that drug is better but I also hear it gives some people the high feeling. I don't want to take something that gives me that feeling in fear I'll want to abuse it! Who are we kidding? That is the best feeling ever.. it's just not a way to live life and it's not healthy.

Methadone has also caused me issues in the bedroom! It's not that I am not interested or that I can't have sex, it's that I have found it is much MUCH harder to have an orgasm on this medicine. I thought that would eventually subside but it hasn't. Sometimes it can be extremely frustrating. It has not effected my sexual relationship with my boyfriend at all and I still am able to "get in the mood" and make love- I just wonder if that part will ever get easier? When I tried to talk to the nurse about it, she said it's mainly men that have that issue, not women. That didn't make me feel much better!!

Any ideas for anything that can help? I have heard about Vitadone but after research decided a normal over the counter vitamin would work just as well as that and is cheaper. If I could change anything, it would be the weight gain and the sweating. I am always warmer then everyone else! That part is frustrating too!

Thanks for listening! Any advice is much appreciated!!
    Hi! I, like you, am on 100mg daily since February '09. It has saved my life and enabled me to function in every day life and experiences. As far as growing a tolerance to methadone, I don't think so but not sure. Is it that you're not feeling your dose? What exactly is wrong? The proper maintenance dose must be individually determined. Unfortunately, like every other drug, methadone comes with side effects. Ugh....the dreadful part. The weight gain is what I hate the most. It induces sugar cravings which in turn will pack the weight on. Your counselor's explanation is quite bizarre. lol. But I'll happily sacrafice a few pounds in turn for my life back. I just increase my exercise. Issues in the bedroom or unfortunately another dreadful side effect. It tends to lower your libido and most people find it harder to orgasm; some impossible. We always have to take the "good" with the "bad" when it comes to medications due to them all having some side effect or another. Sweating is another aggravating discomfort. I sweat like crazy; it's embarrasing. I can be in a full air-conditioned room and still will sweat. Ugh. I find that the Vitadone, well it's now "Nutridone" really helps with my energy levels and reduces my sugar cravings. However, every one is different. And in regards to your questions of why do people "use" methadone, why do they take it for fun, abuse it, etc. Well in my opinion, same as any other drug. Once you're stabilized on a certain dose, the cravings stop and there is no sedation or euphoria. Yet if you are NOT on a stabilized dose, one can easily get a "buzz". For me, it always gave me an ENORMOUS burst of energy and just an all over feel good. I was happy, energetic.....kind of like a speed w/o all the heart beating out the chest and paranoia. So I'm guessing these would be reasons some would use/abuse this medication. You mentioned how you would nod off....well some people tend to enjoy that type of "buzz"....feeling all sedated, in and out of falling asleep....I never cared for that "downer" feeling but some do. So, for me, it's easy to see why some would use and/or abuse methadone. I hope this helped in answering some of your ?'s. I read in one of your other posts on another thread how you said alot of people tend to think you must be an ex >>>>>> user since you're on methadone. Don't let those types of people discourage you! They are simply uneducated about this type of treatment. All that matters is that your life is changed for the better and you're living pain free by doing things the right way.

nancy52 is offline Junior Member

All of Erica's answers were totally correct. Let me see if I can add to it in some way. I was on methadone to get over an opiate addiction. The gaining weight - many do, some don't. I wish I had an answer as to why, but I really don't know. It's true the craving for sugar becomes stronger and it's also true that when you are suffering with alot of pain you won't eat as much. As the pain decreases, the appetite increases. This is just conjecture, not for sure fact. As far as growing a tolerance, I know everyone needs dose adjustments. You will eventually find the dose that suits you, I promise. There are some who take over 200 mgs. per day. Then there are others who are fine on 10 mgs. a day. You have serious pain issues and it sounds like you were on heavy duty pain meds so you just might need a little more than other methadone patients. Why do people take methadone to get high? For the same reason people drink alcohol, do methamphetamine, smoke pot, take all sorts of opiates and do anything to alter the way they feel. They find it enjoyable. Many people like that nodding, sleepy feeling. In fact, they find it euphoric. That's why many of us became addicts. Suboxone does get some people high but not all. It is used mainly to help people who want to stop taking opiates altogether as it allows you to do that with almost no withdrawals. Since it sounds like you will be needing opiates long term, sub wouldn't be for you as it is a very poor pain reliever. As far as the bedroom issue, very unfortunately, that's a problem with all opiates. It sometimes puts a damper on desire and definitely on orgasm. It can be done, it just takes more "work". The nurse is wrong, it's a problem for both men and women, just more obvious in men when things aren't working, if you know what I mean . Sweating is one of the main side effects unfortunately. I've never heard of vitadone or nutridone and would be interested in knowing what they are. I hope I helped in some way.

EricaMarie is offline Member

Well put, nancy!!! I sweat like crazy on it. Unbelievable. I do take the nutridone and it really does help. They sell it at the clinic I attend. I take 3 a day. (recomended dosage) It's apparently a vitamin that is made exclusively for methadone patients. Some people have said that it doesn't make a difference but it is very helpful for me. Main thing is it helps with my energy levels and it does reduce the sweating significantly. Thanks for your input Have a great night!!