Preffered otc painkiller

Default Preffered otc painkiller

What is your favorite otc pain killer, and/or which one do you use most often.
    Also, why that one?
    Answers will be greatly appreciated and promptly used for what should be a really awesome school paper.

erinkj is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Daigaisai_Taren

Quote Originally Posted by Daigaisai_Taren View Post
    What is your favorite otc pain killer, and/or which one do you use most often.
    Also, why that one?
    Answers will be greatly appreciated and promptly used for what should be a really awesome school paper.
    I am also a student so, I'm game to answer.
    The OTC pain killer I use most is acetomenaphin/Tylenol.
    The reasons: 1. Works better than Ibuprofen for headaches which is what I usually need a pain killer for. 2. It is gentler on my stomache than NSAID's/ aspirin. ie: lowered risk of stomache bleeding. ( I have peptic ulcers.

My husband uses Ibuprofen. He usually needs a pain killer for muscle, joint and body aches and inflamation. Ibuprofen is an NSAID and works better than tylenol to reduce swelling and inflammation that cause pain, making it a better choice for the above mentioned pain relief.

The primary deciding factor in what OTC pain med my family uses is the type/ source of pain being treated. Example:
    Excederin complete is the best choice for migrain pain of the OTC's because it contains caffiene, aspirin and acetomenephin, a combination proven most effective for migrain.

Ibuproffen for muscle aches and pains, inflammation and swelling such as sprains.

Acetamenophin for colds and fever also, for any pain in people with allergies or stomache sensetivity.

Aspirin for every type of pain is preffered because it is the most naturaly derived ingredient and theoreticly better for you however, people with sensetive stomache usually cannot take it and it has more instance of allergic reaction.

I hope that is helpful. Good luck with your paper...Erin

Thanks, it's cool that you're so well informed. Many people take NSAIDs every day without knowing how they work or the differences between them.

Smile Daigaisai_Taren

Thanks, it's cool that you're so well informed. Many people take NSAIDs every day without knowing how they work or the differences between them.
    I will take that as a compliment..Thanks back at ya. I chalk that up to a "charmed life." If you happen to write anything on psychiatric med's or disorders give me a shout, that is my particular area of interest and knowlege. I have several papers to write myself and will surely be checking statistics etc..Good luck...Erin

Quote Originally Posted by erinkj View Post
    I will take that as a compliment..Thanks back at ya. I chalk that up to a "charmed life." If you happen to write anything on psychiatric med's or disorders give me a shout, that is my particular area of interest and knowlege. I have several papers to write myself and will surely be checking statistics etc..Good luck...Erin
    Ooooh, a fellow psychopharmacology geek!
    I'm teaching a class on psych meds next semester. (my high school is amazing like that). It'd be great to have a well informed contact.

Thumbs up Daigaisai_Taren

Ooooh, a fellow psychopharmacology geek!
    I'm teaching a class on psych meds next semester. (my high school is amazing like that). It'd be great to have a well informed contact.
    Cool! Any questions just hit me up and I will answer what I can....first hand experience with some of the meds and lots of knowlege on the disorders. "amazing like that", you sound just like my daughter.....she sais that ALL the time..he,he......Erin

hdladyblu is offline New Member

Wink

advil liqui-gels work great.

sgpain is offline New Member

i have back pain and i use aleeve along with 30mg rocksees and it works very good. ( i use the gel tabs aleeve ) i hope this helps with your school project.