Postive Drug Test-wrong Metabolite!!!
    Aquarian21 is offline New Member

Exclamation Postive Drug Test-wrong Metabolite!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!! I have recently been tested for drugs (10-panel) and came up positive for Barbituates. I am taking Bellatal ER (for IBS) that contains phenobarbital in it. On the drug screen, the specific metabolite that showed up was "Butalbital". I have NEVER heard of or taken ANYTHING with this drug in it (supposedly found in Fioricet). The phenobarbital DID NOT EVEN SHOW UP ON THIS TEST!!! I am having a different laboratory (chosen by my "supposed-future employer") re-testing my urine. I AM GOING CRAZY!!! Why would the phenobarbital NOT show up and some medicine I HAVE NEVER TAKEN show up??? Is this the lab's fault/human error? Is there a way that my body could have metabolized the phenobarb in combination with other things I take into this other metabolite??? I went and bought an over-the-counter drug test and I tested positive for Barbituates...this means that the Bellatal IS being detected and should have shown up on my pre-employment drug test. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OR POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION??? PLEASE!!! THIS IS THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO ME AND I FEEL HELPLESS

circa9870 is offline Junior Member

Did it test for phenobarab and butalbital separatly on the test? If not it is possible that butalbital and phenobarb both share a metabolite, or that phenobarb is metabolized into butalbital or something along those lines so that when they tested you for barbituates, then it came up positive for butalbital. If it had separate section for butalbital and phenobarb then I dont know why you wouldnt at least test positive for both. It should get cleared up at the lab if you really have just been taking your prescribed meds.

BTW I think that prejob drugscreening is a TREMENDOUS invasion of privacy, especially if someone isnt applying for a job like a bus driver, construction worker, airline pilot etc. Only jobs that put other peoples lifes at risk should be allowed to do PRE EMPLOYMENT drug testing in my opinion. On the job intoxication drugtesting on the other hand is OK to make sure that employees are being productive and actually working. But I think that what a an employee does outside the office is none of the bosses business, including his drug use. All they should be worrying about is if people are productive employees or not anyway, I dont see how a positive drug test suddenly turns a productive, great employee, into one who should be fired. It just makes no sense!

Anyway after that little rant, I hope that everything works out OK for you and I hope that everyone is having a pain-free day,
    Circa

Thanks for the reply I have been in pure agony the past few days!!! The test came up positive for Barbs and the only metabolite that came up is butalbital (again, something I have NEVER taken). The scientists that performed the first test said there was no way the Bellatal I am taking could produce that particular metabolite; so, I guess I am lying??? NOT AT ALL!!! I went to my family doctor today and have talked to numerous professionals who all pose the same BIG question: why did the phenobarb not show up at all when each tab I take contains 48.6 mg and I take it twice a day??? There is definitely a problem here. The hospital I am supposed to be working for charged me $160 for the re-test (sent rest of urine sample to lab in Minnesota). I went to another site today per my family dr. and took another test to see what comes up outside of hospital-recommended lab---still used chain of custody so it will stand up in court if need be. Either someone has given me the wrong medicine or someone in the lab made a mistake...either way, I KNOW I have not taken anything with butalbital in it...EVER and I plan on proving that. BY THE WAY, IF I WERE GOING TO TAKE DRUGS, IT WOULD NOT BE SOME STUPID TENSION HEADACHE/MIGRAINE MEDICINE I DON'T HAVE A PRESCRIPTION FOR. I WOULD HAVE HAD TO INGEST THIS STUFF 1-2 DAYS PRIOR TO DRUG TEST. PHENOBARB STAYS IN SYSTEM UP TO 30 DAYS---YES, THE MED NOT FOUND IN MY SYSTEM.

circa9870 is offline Junior Member

I have taken Fiorinal (just like fioricet but w/ aspirin instead of tylenol) and the butalbital is somewhat intoxicating and it feels similar like alcohol, gives kind of a drowsy, off-balance, lowered inhibitions kind of state, but it was pretty subtle. But it is certainly not something that I could see people really abusing. I definately would be angry too, I totally understand. Getting your own test was the best thing that you could do definately, I would never trust my employer when it comes to doing the re-test (you never know when something is rotten).

I hope that this works out for you and that it all turns out OK,
    Circa

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

As long as you have a prescription for the drug then you should be fine.Take the prescription in to whoever did the panel test and show it to them.You shouldn't have a problem......Dave

They already have my prescription for the medicine I am on...that medicine is NOT showing up in my drug screen...some other drug (BUTALBITAL) is. Because of the medicine I am on, I should be testing positive for PHENOBARBITAL. It is so stupid and so frustrating. Thanks again for the responses

nebulous1 is offline New Member

Default Get a mean lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarian21 View Post
    They already have my prescription for the medicine I am on...that medicine is NOT showing up in my drug screen...some other drug (BUTALBITAL) is. Because of the medicine I am on, I should be testing positive for PHENOBARBITAL. It is so stupid and so frustrating. Thanks again for the responses
    Document everything and get an attorney now.
    These companies refuse to ask up front what prescription drugs we are on, and then they create problems after.
    If you lose your job over this, and you have scripts for drugs, you might have a good case. Don't take this sitting down. This is going to be THEIR problem, not yours.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

This is an interesting thread Aquarian, please follow up with new info when you can, I'm curious what the outcome will be.

nebulous1 is offline New Member

Me too...I had a drug test for my job in a hospital, and now they want to redo it. Flimsy reasons, like lost paperwork.
    I take Ativan and Klonopin, and I just bet something showed up. IF they fire me, I am going to get the biggest lawyer in town. You'll read about it in the papers.
    I am tired of these invasive tests. It's just no one's business what medications I am on. Where is HIPAA in all of this???

Default updates

I recently took a drug test per my family doctor and it came back positive for Barbiturates (like it should have) and the right metabolite came up (Phenobarbital) GO FIGURE!!! So...the test that they had given my for my pre-employment SHOULD HAVE shown the phenobarbital, not butalbital. So, I am waiting the results of the re-test (they sent the other portion of my urine to another lab). My original test was WRONG!!! They made a mistake in the lab!!! This has been SO STRESSFUL!!! TRUST ME...I HAVE A LAWYER AND I HAVE PLENTY OF AMMO TO PROVE MY CASE. THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE REPLIED!!!

Default All Clear

So...my second test has come back and it is CORRECT!!! I came up as I should have (having phenobarbital in my system) and NO butalbutal!!! They will be refunding my money that I paid to have this second "re-test" (when they screwed up the first time!!!) I am in disgust that this whole time it was all a mistake on behalf of Quest Diagnostics laboratory. I have missed almost 2 full weeks of work all due to this! Thanks God it is over! Thanks for everyone that has replied again!!! I now have a job. I hope that this never happens to another person again (although I am sure it will considering this f-ed up system we (unfortunately) exist in. To anyone in this same situation, do not ever give up faith and do all that you can to prove your innocence!!

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I'm glad everything has worked out for you.You're absolutely correct that anyone who knows they have a false positive should do everything in they're power to right the situation.Congrats again good work......Dave

cha1pis is offline New Member

i have a question, i went for an interview and i did a drug test and it turned out to be positive but i dont ever use drugs and i have not taken any pills either. what will be the reason that it came in positive if i dont take drugs.