Pharmacy/Doctor question
    random999 is offline New Member

Default Pharmacy/Doctor question

A few months ago I went to my doctor to refill my Tramadol prescription. This was the third time I had received a prescription for Tramadol, on this particualr day I didn't see my normal doctor, I saw his brother. No big deal. He looked at my chart, I talked with him for few minutes and he wrote me the prescription. I go to my normal pharmacy and fill like I normally would, when I picked it up I noticed it was for 60 tabs instead of 30 and it had 2 refills on it. This was unusual, any other time I got this medication filled it was for 30 tabs and no refills.

I didn't think anything of it though and went on my way. Until a few days later when I got a call from my doctor and he tells me that he needs me to come in because he wants to talk.

So I went to see him and learned that he received a call from the DEA concerning my prescription. The main issue was that I had called his office one day to see if he can call in the prescription to avoid going into the office. I don't have insurance and his office fees are outrageous and on top of that the earliest date you normally can get an appointment for is 2-3 weeks away. The receptionist tells me to call my pharmacy ask them to fill it and if they have any issues they'll call the doctor. So I did just that, and the pharmacy filled it without any questions. I explained that to him and he seemed to understand, he also mentioned how it was strange that I had a prescription for 60 tabs with refills on it. I told him I thought it was strange too, that I know what he normally gives me and that the day I received that particular prescription, it was his brother that I saw in the office.

So now that my knee is flaring up again, I'd like to go back on Tramadol which I haven't been on since early summer. My question is, if I call my pharmacy knowing that the last time I filled the prescription with them it had refills on it, will I have any issues considering what had happened with the DEA and my doctor.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

What you said doesn't make much sense, from what I can tell you have done nothing wrong, especially nothing to alert the DEA. I think your doctor is blowing hot air.
    But in your story you just said two different things, that you went in to see the doctor and saw his brother instead, then you called the office and they told you to talk to the pharmacy, maybe I'm confused? Either way, by doing either I can't see that you did anything wrong. It's very common to call the office for a refill, especially for CII's (Tram is a C4), you don't need to see the doctor every time.

To answer your last questions, refills expire, its been over 9 months, it may not still be valid, you can try, you wouldn't be breaking any law. If you're flagged for some reason, it will still show up, you may or may not be, and it may/may not make a difference.

Did you leave something out, because all of this doesn't add up.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Unless there's something more to this than you explained, I can't see why the pharmacy wouldn't just refill the prescription. An alert by the DEA doesn't mean the prescription is nullified, it just means they brought it to your doctor's attention. Usually, refills are valid for 1 year - or whatever date is listed on the bottle.

Psychmajor is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post
    Unless there's something more to this than you explained, I can't see why the pharmacy wouldn't just refill the prescription. An alert by the DEA doesn't mean the prescription is nullified, it just means they brought it to your doctor's attention. Usually, refills are valid for 1 year - or whatever date is listed on the bottle.
    1 yr for non narcotics from the day the doc wrote the prescription (unless its something like accutane or a couple other meds but tramadol is fine...)
    6 mo for narcotics from when the doc wrote the script

it would be fine for you to fill your script as long as its been less than a year and since your doc called it in AND you saw another doc it just appears your "drug seeking" which doesnt appear to be true just a miss understanding.

oh and Cats, it depends on the state you live in... missouri its not controled at all but some states it is
    Last edited by Psychmajor; 01-14-2010 at 03:10 PM.