Pain-reliever
    e302bird is offline Junior Member

Default Pain-reliever

I broke my jaw and am in a great deal of pain. I am also on methadone, and am on a maintence program--in other words, it is not for pain. Could anybody tell me of any medications that are not an opiate that will relieve severe pain? Thank you!

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Methadone will relieve severe pain, you should know this, maybe your doctor can titrate your dose.

Anonymous Guest

Toradol is pretty strong and it is non-narcotic. But I hear you can't take it for more than 5 days.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Toradol is an NSAID just as Ibuprofen and Celebrex are, they don't do a whole lot for severe pain, even your so-called non narcs like Tramadol won't have much effect for the methadone user since it targets the same Mu pain receptors that methadone hogs up. Methadone is a partial angonist, some opiodes do get through to the reciptors but it takes a lot, that only defeats its purpose. The OP is pretty much S out of luck, except to have his dose titrated up.

Anonymous Guest

[QUOTE=Cats Meow;179749]Toradol is an NSAID just as Ibuprofen and Celebrex are, they don't do a whole lot for severe pain, QUOTE]

Cats Meow
    I once went through a surgery with just Toradol. No narcotics! It seems like its pretty strong to me. But you are right about the methadone thing though. It might not help him anyway.

EmpatheticSoul Guest

I am also on methadone maintenance and cannot use standard narcotic pain relievers. I ended up in the ER a couple of months ago with 3 kidney stones and was given an IV of toradol and I was very surprised when it absolutely helped with the pain. In about 30 minutes I was actually able to sit up and move around. They sent me home with a RX for 20 tablets and I ended up taking several in the next week or so until I passed all the stones (not fun!). I am holding on to the pills I have left over and know if I do have some more pain that they work quite well for me.

starryskies is offline Junior Member

I know this thread was from a few weeks ago, but I just wanted to say im a recovering opiate addict and my best friend is a PharmD and she swears by Toradol. I need to have my wisdom tooth pulled soon and I cant take any of pain medication so I asked her what was the strongest non-narcotic and she said Toradol.