Pain Management in Orange County (Post Surgery)
    droyconn is offline New Member

Default Pain Management in Orange County (Post Surgery)

To be brief, I have spent the past 8 years working with some of the best Ortho and Neuro Doctors in the area to fix a back injury. I have had injections, a spinal fusion, PT, Tens, etc. I have been told that at this point, there is not much more to do than to manage my pain through medication and a cautious lifestyle. Usually in the past, the pain management centers I have gone to always try to start from square one and try everything again themselves. I need a pain management Dr. who with my medical history and continuous appointments will help manage my pain through medication treatment. I am not talking about an open supply to the pharmacy, but a Dr. who is willing to work with me to reduce my pain while minimizing my dependence on medication. Is anyone aware of a good Dr. in Orange County, California who has these qualities? Thank you very much.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I'm sure there are many pain management drs who will prescribe narcotic medication for serious back problems in Orange county. That goes without saying. You will have to realize however that considering how the DEA monitors these guys for the scripts they write you'll have to go through all the standard evaluation processes, tests, physical therapy, you'll have to jump through all the normal hoops before they're going to start writing scripts especially for narcotic medications. It's a matter of them putting their livlihood on the line when they just start writing scripts without doing all the preliminary testing. It's the law and they would be risking their ability to earn an income if they didn't follow the legal requirements of their profession. Doesn't matter what your history is. Every time you switch to a new dr they are required by law to verify and re-verify all of your conditions prior to handing out serious pain medications. That's how our healthcare laws work in this country, there isn't much you or the drs can do about it. There are so many patients who either lie and abuse the medications or else lie and turn around and sell the medications. Pain drs are just very tightly regulated. It has nothing to do with whether they have compassion or not, it's just the law. It's best to find a good pain dr if you need one and then remain with that dr as long as you are receiving treatment. Good luck and God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-06-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

seppie is offline New Member

I recall a good pain management Doctor in the Irvine area, which is in Orange county. Try doing a local Google search for pain management Irvine.

mykinzie is offline New Member

Default I go to one here in Orange County

Hello. I hope this helps u out! Think it will. My dr here for PM is Dr. Van Vu. 9475 Heil ave. St D. Fountain Valley, CA. 714 775-7700. There ya go. So far he is good. Give em a call. I was referred to him from my primary care. Let me know if u need any more help with this ok? Marla.

kate1976 is offline New Member

Default Pain Management Doctor in Orange County California

Quote Originally Posted by droyconn View Post
    To be brief, I have spent the past 8 years working with some of the best Ortho and Neuro Doctors in the area to fix a back injury. I have had injections, a spinal fusion, PT, Tens, etc. I have been told that at this point, there is not much more to do than to manage my pain through medication and a cautious lifestyle. Usually in the past, the pain management centers I have gone to always try to start from square one and try everything again themselves. I need a pain management Dr. who with my medical history and continuous appointments will help manage my pain through medication treatment. I am not talking about an open supply to the pharmacy, but a Dr. who is willing to work with me to reduce my pain while minimizing my dependence on medication. Is anyone aware of a good Dr. in Orange County, California who has these qualities? Thank you very much.
    If you have something wrong that can be documented with an MRI and have worked with a previous doctor- a pain doctor should be able to prescribe stronger meds to you that is one reason pain doctors exist they write prescriptions the regular doctors are afraid to write or sometimes the regular doctors insurance does not cover them for this kind of treatment of chronic pain. The pain doc I use will at least keep you on your current meds and probably would change them if they have some reason for not talking long term such as having tylenol in them. His name is at Interventional pain management in Newport on Dove Street. Dr. Petralgia and he also has an office in Orange.