pain killer addiction and an unrelated question
    burnleybb is offline New Member

Unhappy pain killer addiction and an unrelated question

First to start >> like to get the unrelated question out of the way, and that would be are there 80mg oc's that instead of white under the green coating are red and pink? or is this a >>>> pill?

now, onto the main topic, I have been taking pain killers for about 5 months now. started with vicodin then gradually it has become if I cant get one I will try for another that I can get. I started due to minor back pain and now it seems like if I dont have anything for pain I am very snappy and my back pain is so intense I do not want to get up, which is not okay because while my wife works 1st shift I need to be up with my 2 year old son...I dont have insurance and cant afford a doctor/hospital bill so I am buying pain killers from friends and sometimes family at street price, which is causing me to go without certain things i could really use...I also have to hide this from my wife because she has seen me addicted to xanax on more than one occasion where I would go months at a time binging. and Thank God I am over a year clean from that devil in a pill form, and I recently bought 10 .5 mg xanax just to see if I would feel the urge to eat them (or in my case sniff) and I held onto them for a week without so much as looking at them, when I didnt have a pain pill one morning I traded all 10 of them for one 750mg vicodin...so in reality i was so desperate to get a pain killer i traded 10 dollars for 3 dollars. I have tried taking over the counter pain meds to ease the back pain when I am not on some type of prescription pain killer and it is absolutely pointless...I can take triple the recommended dose on the bottle and it still hardly reduces the pain I feel at all. I do not take 15-20 pills a day by any means, 750 mg vicodin i will take 6 at the most, however i was introduced to tramadol and I have found that 3-4 tramadol at one time when I wake up seems to keep my back pain gone all day. I have read that tramadol, although a controlled substance, is not a narcotic and has a much less addiction level than hydrocodone, which I find odd because I only need 3-4 tramadol at once to last all day where as I need 1 and a half 750mg vicodin every 2-3 hours to feel comfortable, which I can not afford 3 dollars a pill to have enough for what it takes to keep me at my comfort level, tramadol if I cant get it given to me by friends I pay 1 dollar a pill at the most, so i need less and they are much less expensive...my point is I am really hoping that because tramadol seems to help me more than vicodin does at a much less dose that my addiction level to pain killers is not that bad and could be simple to beat if treated naturally as I can not afford a doctor helping me. I really need/want to beat this addiction as it is doing nothing but causing problems for me and the lying to my wife about it is really getting harder and very stressful. She suspects but can not prove, If she did find my pills or could prove that I was taking pills It would no doubt be the end of my marriage and I do not want that. I am hoping that someone can recommend a way that I can quit cold turkey and not have the degree of back pain I feel when im not on prescription pain killers, and also where I can manage to function normal enough to keep up with my 2 year old son, Is there an over the counter pain med that I have missed that could help dramatically without causing me the addiction/withdrawl symptoms I get from the prescriptions?I have read it is not recommended to quit cold turkey but I dont have an option, I need to quit out right...the cold sweat and the minimal nausea is not a huge concern for me as long as I can find a way to manage and minimize the back pain I feel when not on the pain killers...

I am very sorry for the extremely long post and really hope someone will take the time to read it and offer some kind of advice/help in my predicament.

Thanks much,
    Brian.

Default painkiller response

Quote Originally Posted by burnleybb View Post
    First to start >> like to get the unrelated question out of the way, and that would be are there 80mg oc's that instead of white under the green coating are red and pink? or is this a >>>> pill?

now, onto the main topic, I have been taking pain killers for about 5 months now. started with vicodin then gradually it has become if I cant get one I will try for another that I can get. I started due to minor back pain and now it seems like if I dont have anything for pain I am very snappy and my back pain is so intense I do not want to get up, which is not okay because while my wife works 1st shift I need to be up with my 2 year old son...I dont have insurance and cant afford a doctor/hospital bill so I am buying pain killers from friends and sometimes family at street price, which is causing me to go without certain things i could really use...I also have to hide this from my wife because she has seen me addicted to xanax on more than one occasion where I would go months at a time binging. and Thank God I am over a year clean from that devil in a pill form, and I recently bought 10 .5 mg xanax just to see if I would feel the urge to eat them (or in my case sniff) and I held onto them for a week without so much as looking at them, when I didnt have a pain pill one morning I traded all 10 of them for one 750mg vicodin...so in reality i was so desperate to get a pain killer i traded 10 dollars for 3 dollars. I have tried taking over the counter pain meds to ease the back pain when I am not on some type of prescription pain killer and it is absolutely pointless...I can take triple the recommended dose on the bottle and it still hardly reduces the pain I feel at all. I do not take 15-20 pills a day by any means, 750 mg vicodin i will take 6 at the most, however i was introduced to tramadol and I have found that 3-4 tramadol at one time when I wake up seems to keep my back pain gone all day. I have read that tramadol, although a controlled substance, is not a narcotic and has a much less addiction level than hydrocodone, which I find odd because I only need 3-4 tramadol at once to last all day where as I need 1 and a half 750mg vicodin every 2-3 hours to feel comfortable, which I can not afford 3 dollars a pill to have enough for what it takes to keep me at my comfort level, tramadol if I cant get it given to me by friends I pay 1 dollar a pill at the most, so i need less and they are much less expensive...my point is I am really hoping that because tramadol seems to help me more than vicodin does at a much less dose that my addiction level to pain killers is not that bad and could be simple to beat if treated naturally as I can not afford a doctor helping me. I really need/want to beat this addiction as it is doing nothing but causing problems for me and the lying to my wife about it is really getting harder and very stressful. She suspects but can not prove, If she did find my pills or could prove that I was taking pills It would no doubt be the end of my marriage and I do not want that. I am hoping that someone can recommend a way that I can quit cold turkey and not have the degree of back pain I feel when im not on prescription pain killers, and also where I can manage to function normal enough to keep up with my 2 year old son, Is there an over the counter pain med that I have missed that could help dramatically without causing me the addiction/withdrawl symptoms I get from the prescriptions?I have read it is not recommended to quit cold turkey but I dont have an option, I need to quit out right...the cold sweat and the minimal nausea is not a huge concern for me as long as I can find a way to manage and minimize the back pain I feel when not on the pain killers...

I am very sorry for the extremely long post and really hope someone will take the time to read it and offer some kind of advice/help in my predicament.

Thanks much,
    Brian.
    Hi Brian, I cannot answer your first ?, but I can def. help u with your situation outlined in your second paragraph. OK, yes as u know Vicodin is addicting, esp. if taken for a long time and in larger amounts than prescribed. It is intended for short term use only and for more severe pain like post surgical pain or for an injury. I have a severe back problem myself (siactica) and it sometimes acts up on me and hurts like living hell. That said, I also take tramadol, a fairly new painkiller that has been given a "non-narcotic" label and it really is not a narcotic because it acts a bit differently compared to other narcotics like hydrocodone, Percocet, Lortab, Lorcert (both are generic Vicodin), Talwin, etc.. It does not repress your breathing like regular narcotics, and unlike regular narcotics it does something very different. It releases a chemical in your brain called serotonin, same chemical anti-depressants release. In fact, I have heard rumors that tramadol is being considered being used to treat depression. That said, it still works on your opioid receptors, just not to the degree like other pain killers. Tramadol can be habit forming, but addiction rates are lower with this drug and it is more often prescribed b/c it def. has a lower addiction potential, but it still can be abused. High levels of serotonin will get u high and happy, and that is why ppl take large amts of this drug.

I take 50mg every 6 hrs as needed and that seems to work. U say u take 3 or 4 at a time. That is too much at one time, even though u are getting pain relief. If u keep taking amts like that, u will develop a tolerance and possibly become addicted, and a tramadol withdrawal can be severe, just like a Xanax or Valium withdrawal, except it can last for weeks. As far as your street trading goes, don't do that stuff. It is illegal, and plus u got ripped off big time by getting one pill for 10 Xanax! Xanax on the streets goes for alot of money I hear. I am not involved in anything like that, but I do know someone that is and he tells me 2mg bar Xanax pills go for $6 a pill and 0.50mg, which is an average dose, goes for $3, so u got ripped off big time. Get a legal script from your doctor and avoid the Vicodin and try to just take one or two tramadol (doctors will usually allow up to 2 at a time every 4-6 hours) b/c they last longer than traditional narcotics and do offer quality pain relief. Tramadol abuse is dangerous. It can cause seizures if misused, so be very careful. That said, in my opinion it is a good drug, even though some ppl have serious problems with it, those ppl are hard core addicts and have abused the hell of just about everything and are popping Tramadol or Ultram (same thing) in large amts to get high. If this trend continues, they will make Tramadol a hard core controlled substance and make it harder for pain patients to get prescriptions since doctors will be limited on what they can prescribe to their patients. Most won't prescribe hydrocodone or even Soma (a muscle relaxer that ppl for some reason abuse and get hooked on. I have taken Soma and they work great, but I have never taken more than prescribed or felt the urge to abuse them. They make u a bit sleepy, and I find it sad that ppl are now abusing that drug as well) Does your wife know about the tramadol? I am assuming u did not get these from a doctor? Don't waste your money. Go to a doctor, and he or she will more than likely write you a good size script for tramadol. Tell them u have taken it before and it seems to help with back pain. Doctors are more open to prescribing this drug compared to traditional narcotics, but don't abuse them man. Be responsible. I get cranky to when I get back pain, but if u are getting cranky b/c u crave a pill, that is a problem. I hope not, and as far as Xanax goes, that is very addicting so stay away from it since u had a problem with it. I actually take them for my panic disorder, but again, only as needed and never have abused those. I would be terrified to abuse any prescription med. esp. Xanax, which can def. kill u if u take too many.

Over the counter pain stuff. There is something called BC powder they sell. It is crushed aspirin and it is a high dose. Take that with a tramadol and the combo will offer more pain relief. There is also something called Ultracet. This is tramadol with acetaminophen in it, and I hear it is stronger than regular Ultram because of the addition of the tylenol, but I have never taken it before, but u can combine tylenol over the counter or asprin (regular or BC powder crushed they sell) and achieve a higher lvl of pain relief instead of having to pop a bunch of pills at one time. Also use a heating pad for your back and try to move around as much as u can. I hope this info. helps you. I am not a doctor, but I know alot about meds and psyc. meds b/c I have a psyc. degree, lol! Take care of yourself and God Bless!

kushsmok3r is offline New Member

[QUOTE=burnleybb;326433]First to start >> like to get the unrelated question out of the way, and that would be are there 80mg oc's that instead of white under the green coating are red and pink? or is this a >>>> pill?

ok for your 1st question i havent seen any 80's like that i do know that they discontinued oxy 80's thou (i was kinda pissed about it) i have been doing roxi's for awhile now 30 mg's but use to do oxy 80's the greens 1's and was on xanax for ahwile too very addicting as you said all i can say to try to help you is that you should quit cold turkey b/c withdrawl from oxy is pretty nasty very much like withdrawl from herion b/c they are the same drug opium the withdrawl could kill you if you'd been taking them everyday i wouldnt suggest trying to stop unless your planning on slowly lowering the does as for your back pain nd trying to find a non-addicting narcotic to help your pain b/c there arent many out there for people with intense pain which is the reason they give you things like oxy. sorry i probably wasnt much help but i hope i could help alittle