Opiates make me extremely hyper - help
    emilylucas is offline New Member

Question Opiates make me extremely hyper - help

I know that opiates make most people sleepy/groggy/zoned, but they have the opposite effect on me. I am not an addict/abuser and I do not like the hyper feeling, but sometimes narcotics are necessary and I need to know how to cope when they are. The drugs do work on the pain, but the side effects are awful. I don't want to feel like I've just snorted meth (which I've never done). I don't use drugs recreationally.

I don't want this post to be crazy long, but want to give a full picture, so I'm just going to list some facts in an easy to read manner, if possible:

I have adult ADD (47 y/o female). I haven't ever taken meds for it and don't feel like I need meds for it. When feeling a little too hyper, caffeine calms me right down. I guess I self medicate with coffee.

I take 2 mg xanax every night in order to "shut my brain off". No Xanax equals no sleep. I will just lay there and think and think and think, not anxious, just can't turn that darned brain off. I have taken this dosage for several years. I was only recently diagnosed with ADD. I rarely feel enough anxiety to feel like I need any extra Xanax during the day.

If I take something like vicodin or oxycodone, I feel very "ampted up", "speedy", talk a mile a minute and can't settle down or sleep. Some extra Xanax takes some edge off, but doesn't kill the hyper feeling completely.

I once took 1/2 a methodone tablet for a migraine and felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin for several hours.

I once used 1/2 of a 12 mcg fentynal patch and I made it about 5 hours (3 day patch) before I had to take the thing off or crawl up the walls.

*I specifically mention these drugs because my research tells me they represent the 3 types of opoids, which tells me I react the same to all 3 types.

If I have something major like my c-section or (last year) a laparoscopic abdominal surgery, I am super hyper while being given pain med injections. Last year after surgery, I could manage 2-3 hours sleep on the pain meds once exhausted (severe lack of sleep) AND taking 2-3 mg Xanax.

I take 5-HTP and Calm PRT daily. Melatonin doesn't help, but does give me crazy/scary dreams.

I have no idea why my brain reacts this way and I have a doctor who will work with me, but hasn't dealt with this specific issue and takes my own personal research seriously. I have spent many hours trying to Google the answer, but haven't come up with anything.

I have a major reconstructive surgery scheduled for this fall and I am really worried about this side effect since I'll likely be on injectable narcotics for over a week and oxycodone for perhaps 2-4 weeks following.

I just can't imagine being that ampted up and dealing with lack of sleep for that long on top of trying to heal from a major body trauma.

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer, whether it be a similar problem or any ideas on meds that could be given alongside the pain killers or, really, anything you might think is relevent. I'll answer any questions you might have openly and honestly. I am open to both traditional medicine and nautropathic medicine, and so is my doctor.
    Last edited by emilylucas; 06-08-2012 at 11:40 PM.

I forgot to add that Tramadol does nothing for me. Doesn't relieve my pain or make me hyper.

Double post. Sorry.
    Last edited by emilylucas; 06-09-2012 at 12:22 AM.

annadoman is offline Member

Its not an uncommon side effect especially at lower doses. Only when I took high doses did I go on the nod.

What I would suggest is asking your dr about seroquel, it is an anti psychotic that is also VERY sedating. I take 200mg at night and it will put me to sleep within an hour no problems. Perhaps this would be a better option than benzos for you.

Thank you for replying. I will ask him about the seroquel. Unfortunately for me, the higher the dose, the more hyper I get. On small doses, it's managable, but I will be on IV morphine for about a week this fall with my planned surgeries and that makes me crazy hyper.

annadoman is offline Member

You will make it through this, also you can get continuous release seroquel (Seroquel XR) - if you get that it should calm you calm down a lot. It does have a side effect of insomnia if you stop taking it
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-16-2012 at 05:19 PM.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

The reason I got addicted to opiates is they gave me energy and made me run around like crazy. Adderall and Ritalin no joke put me to sleep unless I took copious amounts of them. Talk about being @$$ backward! Drugs affect everyone differently. If the side effects are bothersome discuss them with your Doc. Either they'll adjust the dose or add other medications to lessen or reduce the side effects. They also get better/less as time goes on.

thalia45 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    The reason I got addicted to opiates is they gave me energy and made me run around like crazy. Adderall and Ritalin no joke put me to sleep unless I took copious amounts of them. Talk about being @$$ backward! Drugs affect everyone differently. If the side effects are bothersome discuss them with your Doc. Either they'll adjust the dose or add other medications to lessen or reduce the side effects. They also get better/less as time goes on.
    Wow! Do I know that one. Loved it (obviously TOO much), the caveat being that the effect gets to be less and less, and I take more and more. Really, I hope they NEVER come up with a drug that has the "energy/well-being" effect without the down side. Exercise does the same thing for me, but exercise is work :-(