Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Opiates for anxiety
  1. #1
    klopper22 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    269

    Default Opiates for anxiety

    Considering the fact that opiates are excellent for anxiety, it would seem like some doctors would prescribe them off-label for that. Do any of you know if this is done?

  2. #2
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klopper22 View Post
    Considering the fact that opiates are excellent for anxiety, it would seem like some doctors would prescribe them off-label for that. Do any of you know if this is done?
    The problem with that is the opiates stop working after awhile and you have to keep taking more to get the same effect and after a few years on them your in big trouble...
    Just trust me on this one...

    Good luck, Melinda
    aball33 likes this.

  3. #3
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Melinda is correct. You're setting yourself up for catastrophe long term. RX pain meds are NOT an acceptable medication for depression. Just because something feels good doesn't mean it's a good medication for being bummed out. God bless.
    aball33 likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  4. #4
    klopper22 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    269

    Default

    It was just a general question not for me.

    I forgot about how optates lose their effectiveness.

  5. #5
    phey is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    A new study has found that opiate drugs such as morphin leave animals more vulnerable to stress. So what more when it comes to person? This means that stress and opiates are in a vicious cycle: Not only does stress trigger drug use, but in return the drug leaves animals more vulnerable to stress. The study, conducted at the University of New South Wales, helps to explain why people who use opiates such as >>>>>> have very high rates of anxiety problems, including post-traumatic stress disorder, even after they stop using. That emotional fragility can also make them more likely to start using again.

  6. #6
    Missfortune is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    18

    Default

    The opiates i was on before actually caused me to have to take anti-depressents (terrible spelling on that one.lol). I was always down in the dumps about something or another and really couldnt handle any stress whatsoever.
    Got off of them and now i have no need for anti's and i have more paitence than i ever thought possible.

    So i would definatly say no on that one.

  7. #7
    cez6 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    It seems to be the only thing that makes me feel stableStable angina
    Unstable angina and normal. I am very productive on opiates as well; not manicBipolar disorder - like a lot of adderallAdderall
    Adderall xr, but really levelheaded and calm- not drowsy- just the way I think you should feel- probably what most 'normal' stableStable angina
    Unstable angina feel like when they wake up. Tried everything else- its the only thing that works for me.

  8. #8
    calvincrabtree is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default nOT AN EVERY DAY THING

    Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    The problem with that is the opiates stop working after awhile and you have to keep taking more to get the same effect and after a few years on them your in big trouble...
    Just trust me on this one...

    Good luck, Melinda
    Your acting like it would be a pill to take every morning.
    It wouldn't be like that.
    People would take one when you have a panic attack (as needed).

  9. #9
    calvincrabtree is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Rx pain med?
    Robert look at most pills and there is like 100's of uses of every kind of disorder
    and some illnesses you can think of.
    pill are not just used for one thing and one thing only.

  10. #10
    calvincrabtree is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default Pain med?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Melinda is correct. You're setting yourself up for catastrophe long term. RX pain meds are NOT an acceptable medication for depression. Just because something feels good doesn't mean it's a good medication for being bummed out. God bless.
    Rx pain med?
    Robert look at most pills and there is like 100's of uses of every kind of disorder
    and some illnesses you can think of.
    pill are not just used for one thing and one thing only.

  11. #11
    calvincrabtree is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phey View Post
    A new study has found that opiate drugs such as morphin leave animals more vulnerable to stress. So what more when it comes to person? This means that stress and opiates are in a vicious cycle: Not only does stress trigger drug use, but in return the drug leaves animals more vulnerable to stress. The study, conducted at the University of New South Wales, helps to explain why people who use opiates such as >>>>>> have very high rates of anxiety problems, including post-traumatic stress disorder, even after they stop using. That emotional fragility can also make them more likely to start using again.
    Yeah and some animals eat there own dead and poop.
    Should humans do that to?

    We are animals,.... Mammals!

  12. #12
    calvincrabtree is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Missfortune View Post
    The opiates i was on before actually caused me to have to take anti-depressents (terrible spelling on that one.lol). I was always down in the dumps about something or another and really couldnt handle any stress whatsoever.
    Got off of them and now i have no need for anti's and i have more paitence than i ever thought possible.

    So i would definatly say no on that one.
    Right YOU would, not some one else in there own body....

  13. #13
    calvincrabtree is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default Kinda off subject

    Quote Originally Posted by phey View Post
    A new study has found that opiate drugs such as morphin leave animals more vulnerable to stress. So what more when it comes to person? This means that stress and opiates are in a vicious cycle: Not only does stress trigger drug use, but in return the drug leaves animals more vulnerable to stress. The study, conducted at the University of New South Wales, helps to explain why people who use opiates such as >>>>>> have very high rates of anxiety problems, including post-traumatic stress disorder, even after they stop using. That emotional fragility can also make them more likely to start using again.
    Did the animals want to take them on there own or forced(controlled lab study)?

    Reindeer:
    According to a piece in Pharmaceutical Journal by scientist Andrew Haynes,
    they (along with other animals) sometimes deliberately eat hallucinogenic fungi in order to amuse themselves during long winters.

  14. #14
    laylaseidel is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Yes, opiates can help alleviate anxiety but the fact that it can be addictive is a big no,no. Try to go for some other alternatives. I fought against anxiety through mediation and yoga. Make opiates a last resort.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22