Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Obtaining a prescription?
    Ellen0714 is offline New Member

Default Obtaining a prescription?

Hello, all. I'm posting this thread because I am sort of at a loss of what to do. I am 20 years old, and I have a deeply horrible fear of flying. When I have to go on a plane, I am the person annoying everyone else because I have to do breathing exercises and try to refrain from crying due to the fact that I am in a complete panic. I have read books about flying without fear, I have audio on my iPod and a flying relaxation app on my iPhone, but it is simply not enough. I am going on a flight in two months and it already keeps me up at night, anticipating how horrible it's going to be. That's why I am interested in obtaining a prescription for an anti-anxiety drug like Xanax, Valium, etc. But the thing is, I only want two pills, one to gets there and one to get me back. I am nervous about asking my doctor about it because I know they have a big abuse potential, and I dont know how to go about it. Do I just call and tell her my situation? Do I have to make an appointment? What should I do?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Drs do this for people all the time. You are not alone. Just call your dr and explain. He may or may not ask you to come in but I can't imagine him having a problem with this in any way. There is no abuse in doing what you are talking about doing. This is a medicinal use for a plane ride where you suffer bad anxiety. The dr will be fine with two pills I assure you or I would get another dr. God bless..
    primetimegrape likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen0714 View Post
    Hello, all. I'm posting this thread because I am sort of at a loss of what to do. I am 20 years old, and I have a deeply horrible fear of flying. When I have to go on a plane, I am the person annoying everyone else because I have to do breathing exercises and try to refrain from crying due to the fact that I am in a complete panic. I have read books about flying without fear, I have audio on my iPod and a flying relaxation app on my iPhone, but it is simply not enough. I am going on a flight in two months and it already keeps me up at night, anticipating how horrible it's going to be. That's why I am interested in obtaining a prescription for an anti-anxiety drug like Xanax, Valium, etc. But the thing is, I only want two pills, one to gets there and one to get me back. I am nervous about asking my doctor about it because I know they have a big abuse potential, and I dont know how to go about it. Do I just call and tell her my situation? Do I have to make an appointment? What should I do?
    I agree with Robert. Doctors do this very often, and u are only asking for a few pills. Don't stress yourself over this so far in advance. Just tell your doctor and when the time comes he/she should have no problem prescribing a couple of Valium or something along those lines. How long is your flight going to be? I ask this because u want something that will work within the time frame. Valium has a long half life and works longer. Xanax very short half life. There is a drug called Halcion, it is a controlled substance, but it is a sleeping pill not often prescribed, but I have seen it prescribed for stuff like this and commonly prescribed to prevent jet-lag. That may be an option also. Halcion (Triazolam) is a short acting drug. Ambien is another option. That is a longer acting drug. It is a good sleeping pill. This is really up to u and your doctor, but don't fret about asking for a few pills and bring it up soon so u don't have to stress about it this long before your trip. Doctors are going to understand this type of situation. Maybe ask for 3 pills so u can test one out beforehand at bedtime to ensure it is something that works for u and helps u relax or sleep. This way if it does not work for u, u can just tell the doctor, show him or her the other two pills (show that u have only taken the one as a trial) and get a different prescription that will work. I believe some pharmacies will even take the pills back to get your other script as long as u explain the situation to them and your doctor and everyone is on the same page. Keep us posted and best of luck!
    Last edited by primetimegrape; 09-23-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Candles01 is offline New Member

I think you need a counselor who can explain things to you. After getting in conversation with such persons you will surely feel better. Go for it.

nobby02 is offline Member

I remember taking an Ambien for a 9 hour flight to London, that thing put me out. I was asleep before take off, woke once when I was jostled for food and finally awoke about 15 minutes before landing. Though it was GREAT, I was REALLY out of it. My Doc has given me Xanax before but that didn't help the physical heart palpitations. I flew last week and had Atenolol for my high blood pressure and Xanax and that seemed to do the trick. So be sure to ask about the physical heart palpitations along with the anxiety of flying because Xanax alone didn't address my heart beating really fast. Ativan which I have been given before just made me sleepy and groggy for two days, not fun when you are just in LA for just four days. But anyways the Doctor should not have a problem with you asking at all.

Ellen0714 is offline New Member

Default :)

Hey everyone! First, Thank you for all of the replies. It really helped. Unfortunately, my fear took hold and I ended up canceling the flight. However, I do plan on going on a roughly 2 and a half hour flight in 3 or 4 months, and now I feel comfortable asking my doctor for a shorter acting drug like Xanax for the flight. Your responses really made me feel a lot more comfortable with opening up a dialog with my doctor about my flying issues. I will update you when I ask her for help regarding the flight!

Jogger is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen0714 View Post
    I get a prescription from my doctor for flying. I have a huge fear of flying (I witnessed a 747 crash when I was a kid). My prescription really helps me get on that plane. Good thing is I only fly twice a year. Recently, I've been downloading movies to my iPhone and watching them while in the air. This helps me more than reading, music etc. I also go to a psychiatrist about twice a year just for my fear of flying.

Anyways, good luck to you!