Nerve Pain in my Feet
    TeamLexana is offline New Member

Default Nerve Pain in my Feet

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion for how to treat nerve pain. I'm only 30 and I can barely get around the house do to the pain in my feet and I've been batteling this for YEARS now.

Primary care doctor threw up their hands and said they didn't know what was wrong and to take fish oil and glucosamine but did recognize I had a unusual ammount of inflamation in my blood. Foot care doctor was a crock who just sold me very expensive inserts that my insurance wouldn't pay a dime for. Joint care doctor said it wasn't arthirities but prescribed dicolefenac sodium and that does nothing for the pain nor the swelling.

I finally found a doctor that says it may be nerve pain due to a possible birth defect in my spine that's pinching the nerves and has prescribed Gabapentin and has scheduled an MRI of my back. The Gabapentin seems to help alot with the RLS type systems, so I don't wake up in the middle of the night with horrible and sudden cramps in my feet and calfs. But not much else, I still can't even stand long enough to shower, I have a freaking chair I have to sit on in the shower. I can't bathe in a bathtub either, I can't seem to get back out afterwards, it's THAT BAD.

I've tried everything I can think of, better diet, stretching, elevating my feet above my heart, rubbing my feet, rubbing my feet with special oils, expensive special shoes, ridiculesly expensive shoe inserts, the Gabapentin. Icing them used to provide some relief, ice water in particular used to feel real good once I could force myself to shove my feet all the way in there and hold 'em - the swelling would go way down as well but I can't even do that any more. The last time I tried, it strangely burned even though it was cold, that make any sense? It burned bad too, even after taking my feet out it continued to burn for several mins.

The foot doctor did try to give me cortisone injections (I think he said it was called, it was a needle and he stuck me with something that was suspose to help with pain, lol) around the areas I hurt the most which was around the arches and up near my toes but they didn't do a thing.

Doctors in the past have sparadicly given me Tramadol but I don't like it. It does provide some relief but it can also make me very sick to my stomach and it can knock me out. I'd honestly like to avoid such narcotic drugs and focus on healing whats wrong, not putting a bandaid on the sympton. But it just hurts so bad, I don't know what to do. I'm missing out on so much of my life because of the pain.

Should I go ahead and ask for a stronger drug then Gabapentin? Something with narcotic, opiod, whatever the term is, lol. I don't know how to ask for it without comming off as a druggie looking for a hit, I mean if the doctor thought I needed it, he'd prescribe it wouldn't he? I'm scared at the same time too because I know how addictive those kinds of drugs are and there doesn't seem to be any clear cut answer as to whether what's causing the pain can be cured. So what am I suspose to do? Beg for drugs from the doctors office for the rest of my life? I just don't know what to do. Sorry to be so depressive but I'm desperate and frankly angry that it's taken years for the doctors to come to conclusion it's possibly nerve damage.

globalgeneric is offline New Member

i think by taking Neuropathic Pain relief treatment, you will get rid off the nerve problems.

fibro_patients is offline New Member

Exclamation Opiates side effects...

My wife has suffered with chronic back pain brought on by Arachnoiditis ( basically scar-tissue causing the nerves to be forced out of there normal position – inoperable) . She tried an implant with no success, in fact when they went to remove it, she went paralized from the waist down for over 24hours. We are now looking into medical marijuana, still illegal in Ohio, but is legal in Mich. we are looking into finding a Mich. Docter to see if in pill form there is any success in getting any pain relief. She is on opiates, very high does and this really scares me, way too many side effects.

Rajive Goel is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by TeamLexana View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion for how to treat nerve pain. I'm only 30 and I can barely get around the house do to the pain in my feet and I've been batteling this for YEARS now.

Primary care doctor threw up their hands and said they didn't know what was wrong and to take fish oil and glucosamine but did recognize I had a unusual ammount of inflamation in my blood. Foot care doctor was a crock who just sold me very expensive inserts that my insurance wouldn't pay a dime for. Joint care doctor said it wasn't arthirities but prescribed dicolefenac sodium and that does nothing for the pain nor the swelling.

I finally found a doctor that says it may be nerve pain due to a possible birth defect in my spine that's pinching the nerves and has prescribed Gabapentin and has scheduled an MRI of my back. The Gabapentin seems to help alot with the RLS type systems, so I don't wake up in the middle of the night with horrible and sudden cramps in my feet and calfs. But not much else, I still can't even stand long enough to shower, I have a freaking chair I have to sit on in the shower. I can't bathe in a bathtub either, I can't seem to get back out afterwards, it's THAT BAD.

I've tried everything I can think of, better diet, stretching, elevating my feet above my heart, rubbing my feet, rubbing my feet with special oils, expensive special shoes, ridiculesly expensive shoe inserts, the Gabapentin. Icing them used to provide some relief, ice water in particular used to feel real good once I could force myself to shove my feet all the way in there and hold 'em - the swelling would go way down as well but I can't even do that any more. The last time I tried, it strangely burned even though it was cold, that make any sense? It burned bad too, even after taking my feet out it continued to burn for several mins.

The foot doctor did try to give me cortisone injections (I think he said it was called, it was a needle and he stuck me with something that was suspose to help with pain, lol) around the areas I hurt the most which was around the arches and up near my toes but they didn't do a thing.

Doctors in the past have sparadicly given me Tramadol but I don't like it. It does provide some relief but it can also make me very sick to my stomach and it can knock me out. I'd honestly like to avoid such narcotic drugs and focus on healing whats wrong, not putting a bandaid on the sympton. But it just hurts so bad, I don't know what to do. I'm missing out on so much of my life because of the pain.

Should I go ahead and ask for a stronger drug then Gabapentin? Something with narcotic, opiod, whatever the term is, lol. I don't know how to ask for it without comming off as a druggie looking for a hit, I mean if the doctor thought I needed it, he'd prescribe it wouldn't he? I'm scared at the same time too because I know how addictive those kinds of drugs are and there doesn't seem to be any clear cut answer as to whether what's causing the pain can be cured. So what am I suspose to do? Beg for drugs from the doctors office for the rest of my life? I just don't know what to do. Sorry to be so depressive but I'm desperate and frankly angry that it's taken years for the doctors to come to conclusion it's possibly nerve damage.
    How long have you be on Gabapentine? Do you just take Gabapentine or is it a combination of Methyalcobalamine? I guess the treatment with Gabapentine should be bale to provide relief to you. However please do seek a second opinion.

TeamLexana is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rajive Goel View Post
    How long have you be on Gabapentine? Do you just take Gabapentine or is it a combination of Methyalcobalamine? I guess the treatment with Gabapentine should be bale to provide relief to you. However please do seek a second opinion.
    I've been on it for about a month now and haven't been prescribed anything else. I can sleep better with the RLS symptons gone but I do feel extremely tired all the time and even caught myself falling asleep in a movie theatre watching the remake of "The Thing," Which on one hand is embarrasing in itself but on the otherhand is frightening that that might have happened while I was driving or something. Yikes.

Like I said before, the nonsleep related pain has not relented. For about three weeks now I have this constant pulsing on the bottom of my left foot and it's sore. I have no idea what to do about it but ask for stronger medication that I'm not comfortable taking because of how addictive that stuff is. I'm also afraid to ice it because the last time I tried that, it felt like I lit my foot on fire!

ouch85 is offline New Member

narcotics is a last resort, believe me I wish I didn't need them!!!
    try amitriptyline and NSAIDs first such as Celebrex, Diclofenac or Diflunisal. I tried multiple NSAIDs until my pain levels required doses that caused severe ulcers(which landed me in the hospital numerous times -be sure to eat food when taking NSAIDs!!). I'm on gabapentin/oxycodone/flexeral now and also use lidocaine patches which help allot on the spots that really hurt! GL

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by TeamLexana View Post
    I've been on it for about a month now and haven't been prescribed anything else. I can sleep better with the RLS symptons gone but I do feel extremely tired all the time and even caught myself falling asleep in a movie theatre watching the remake of "The Thing," Which on one hand is embarrasing in itself but on the otherhand is frightening that that might have happened while I was driving or something. Yikes.

Like I said before, the nonsleep related pain has not relented. For about three weeks now I have this constant pulsing on the bottom of my left foot and it's sore. I have no idea what to do about it but ask for stronger medication that I'm not comfortable taking because of how addictive that stuff is. I'm also afraid to ice it because the last time I tried that, it felt like I lit my foot on fire!

You mentioned that cold water would make your feet even burn after you took them out of the water. You also mentioned that the dr said you had elevated levels of inflammation in your bloodwork. The test they use to determine elevated inflammation is called an ESR or Sed Rate test.

Some of the most prominent symptoms of what is called Raynaud's disease is cold feet, cold hands, cold extremities (and they can feel so cold it literally burns like you're stuck in an ice chest and can't get out). I have Raynaud's along with three other autoimmune disorders and know a lot about it. I moderated an autoimmune disease forum for years. It's primarily detected by having an elevated ESR or Sed Rate on bloodwork showing inflammation as you described.

Do your feet or hands or fingers turn colors like from white to blue to red? Not like a flag but you understand what I'm asking. It happens from the inflammation restricting the blood flow to your extremities. If you are having this on your extremities let me know. I can tell you exactly what to do. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

By the way the knots and cramping in your feet and lower legs are also autoimmune symptoms. I think we need to talk. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.