Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Need help!!
    OC_help is offline Junior Member

Default Need help!!

good evening all,

I have a question but not to sure about which forum to place this under, so my appologies in advance.

i have been working with my doctor to help me taper off oxycontin. however, this past week i had my grandfather end up in the hospital after having a stroke and this really stressed me out. without any excuses, just my own damn fault, i ended up taking more than the doctor had told me to and now i am short a few pills. i am supposed to take 40mg each day until tuesday when i get my refill. currently i only have 80 mgs left and this is supposed to do me until tuesday. my question is, is there any possible way to make my last 80 mg last until tuesday. what is the most effective way to make oxy last longer to avoid getting sick? i thank everybody in advance for your advice.

Thanks,
    Ben

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OC_help View Post
    good evening all,

I have a question but not to sure about which forum to place this under, so my appologies in advance.

i have been working with my doctor to help me taper off oxycontin. however, this past week i had my grandfather end up in the hospital after having a stroke and this really stressed me out. without any excuses, just my own damn fault, i ended up taking more than the doctor had told me to and now i am short a few pills. i am supposed to take 40mg each day until tuesday when i get my refill. currently i only have 80 mgs left and this is supposed to do me until tuesday. my question is, is there any possible way to make my last 80 mg last until tuesday. what is the most effective way to make oxy last longer to avoid getting sick? i thank everybody in advance for your advice.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Hi Ben
    ocycontin are time released so it will make it really hard to cut them up or what ever.
    The best thing you could do is just go to your Doctor early and tell him what happened, if you are truthful with your doctor you will be surprised how much they will try to help you...
    good luck and let us know how it goes !!!
    Melinda

thankyou for your input melinda. I appreciate it. However, your solution would more than likley work and i have no problem telling my doctor but he is on vacation, and his first day back is the day i have an appointment. I dont believe if i go to the hospital or a walk in clinic and tell them my story would be able to do anything for me, would they? I am just so frustrated with myself and scared for the wd's.

Anonymous Guest

HI OC
    UGHHH !!!! I wish I could help you more..I understand your dilemma..
    you are right I don't think a new Doctor at this point could help much..
    let us know how it turns out...
    Melinda

i know, its a tough situation i am in. now my quyestion is, i have gotten my hands on 25 percocets (5/325). will this help with the sickness at all? i am starting to really feel depressed and have no motivation to do anything. is this normal. i have never felt depressed like this before.

Anonymous Guest

i know, its a tough situation i am in. now my quyestion is, i have gotten my hands on 25 percocets (5/325). will this help with the sickness at all? i am starting to really feel depressed and have no motivation to do anything. is this normal. i have never felt depressed like this before.
    thoes will help a lot, I would use them sparingly...
    if you have ran out of your other pills it is normal yo feel the way your doing !!
    wish you luck
    Melinda

alright, i first want to say thankyou so much melinda i reall do appreciate your advice. even just talking to one person seems to help me calm down a bit and not feel so hopeless. so the depression is normal? i honestly feel so much guilt and almost break down and cry just thinking about how good my family is to me and i feel like ive done them so wrong. this will go away and is this normal? how long does side effects like his last?

Anonymous Guest

Hi OC
    The thing about tapering is it is a long drawn out w/d just not as intense as c/t.
    If you could just stop every thing you would start to feel better in 4 or 5 days, but going from oxycontin to percs is a big drop, that is if you did it like I did.
    How many of the perc's do you have left...
    and how many have you been taking ?
    Melinda

well last night i had a total of 25 and i took 5 before i went to bed. it wasn't nearly as relieving as 40 or 50 mg of Oxycontin but it helped. unfortunately when i woke up this morning i felt like total garbage so i called in sick to work. just about an hour ago i took 6 more percs. it definitely helped subside the sickness. so i am now left with 14. i am trying to do as you suggested and take them sparingly because i know that having these is better than having nothing. i need to make these 14 last until tuesday, because that is when i have my next appointment and get a refill on my prescription.

Anonymous Guest

well last night i had a total of 25 and i took 5 before i went to bed. it wasn't nearly as relieving as 40 or 50 mg of Oxycontin but it helped. unfortunately when i woke up this morning i felt like total garbage so i called in sick to work. just about an hour ago i took 6 more percs. it definitely helped subside the sickness. so i am now left with 14. i am trying to do as you suggested and take them sparingly because i know that having these is better than having nothing. i need to make these 14 last until tuesday, because that is when i have my next appointment and get a refill on my prescription.
    I was just wondering when you take your oxycontin do you take them whole or do you chew then or crush them..I never took them right, so I got really sick when I quit them...the reason I'm asking is to see if I can help you space them out more.
    I'm not trying to be nosy I'm just trying to help...
    Melinda

gembey is offline New Member

Default stay calm and read below

Hi Ben,

I was on Oxcontin 20gm Moderate Release twice daily. After about a year of taken it I was stranded in a hotel overnight in winter, and ran out of Oxycontin. The fear of what I might feel like without it was worse than the reality. Everyone will have a different experience I am sure of that, but some facts will be similar. Yes I did get some cold shivers on and off, and my pain levels were higher, but manageable. I did feel a bit nauseaus and my sleep was not brilliant that night. However, I did survive even though I was unprepared.

I have just posted my own experience of taking an slightly damaged tablet, I was lucky to tell the tale - Talk to your doctor, they solve these kind of problems daily, and you may be fretting for no reason.
    Hope you get on alright.
    Regards Gembey

good evening all,

Thanks,
    Ben

Default stay calm part 2

Hi again Ben,

Sorry, I foolishly didn't read what others had posted, and so have amended my response to you....

You have said already that going to the doc is not an option, you could try, but you may end up even more stressed. The key to getting thru this is to believe you are stronger than the drug, and that you choose to take it to make you more comfortable, and you can miss a dose in a situation like this, and that it will be alright. Nausea is also a symptom of nervousness and fear, which is why staying as calm an relaxed as you can will help a lot.

Green apples and Crystalised (sugared) ginger are brilliant for nausea. Even nibbling at the edge of a piece of raw root ginger will remove nausea. Its an old sea farers trick. Even ginger ale, or ginger cordial, anything with ginger in.

I always felt more comfortable missing a dose alternate days, rather than running out and then going without for a whole 24hr+ period or more.
    I only feel comfortable sharing this idea with you because I took myself off the drug over a 5 month period.

Hope you get on alright.
    Really hope this helps.
    Regards Gembey

Quote Originally Posted by gembey View Post
    Hi Ben,

I was on Oxcontin 20gm Moderate Release twice daily. After about a year of taken it I was stranded in a hotel overnight in winter, and ran out of Oxycontin. The fear of what I might feel like without it was worse than the reality. Everyone will have a different experience I am sure of that, but some facts will be similar. Yes I did get some cold shivers on and off, and my pain levels were higher, but manageable. I did feel a bit nauseaus and my sleep was not brilliant that night. However, I did survive even though I was unprepared.

I have just posted my own experience of taking an slightly damaged tablet, I was lucky to tell the tale - Talk to your doctor, they solve these kind of problems daily, and you may be fretting for no reason.
    Hope you get on alright.
    Regards Gembey

Anonymous Guest

Hi gemby
    Just wanted to tell you that is a great Idea..
    melinda

First off, its alright melinda i know your not being nosey, never thought you were secondly, i usually take 5 around the morning and then another 5 at night. so roughly 10 hours inbetween. i hope this helps a bit more? how did you end up taking them "wrongly" that made you sick? and gemby thankyou very much for your advice, i kniow staying mentally strong isnt always easy, but i can work on it

Anonymous Guest

HI OC
    I use to crush them, I'm sure you know oxycontin is time released, so I would get it all at once and then when I quit taking drugs I got very sick ..

I was wondering if that is what you were doing, I was hoping you could get away with taking less of the oxycodone each time if you took them the right way when you were taking the oxycontin..
    I don't know if that makes sense..
    I keep trying to think of ways to make them 14 pills stretch out but dang it...
    Tuesday is a long way off...
    I can sure lend support if you need it...
    keep me posted on how your doing
    talk soon, Melinda

Default trust yourself

and gemby thankyou very much for your advice, i kniow staying mentally strong isnt always easy, but i can work on it
    You may be very surprised at just how strong you really are. Its such a horrible situation to be in when the drug runs your life, but who knows.. by Tuesday you may have regained back some personal power that you gave to the drug, and so put it in its rightful place.

Just imagine how cool that will feel when you go back to the doc and say '' that was a hard few days, but i am still here and strronger in my mind for it''.

Good luck, hang on, go for it,

Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    Hi gemby
    Just wanted to tell you that is a great Idea..
    melinda
    thank you, i was a little nervous to respond, but am glad i did. Pain management is soooo difficult isn't it.
    gembey

well to answer your question, i never took my medication like i was supposed to. when i first went to my doctor and told him i needed help tapering off, i was taking roughly 200 - 240mg a day. my doctor then decided to start tapering me at 160mg so take one 40mg oxycontin 4 times a day. i have now tapered myself all the way down to 40 mg a day. but no i never took it the "recommended" way. i would ALWAYS suck the coating off, crush, then snort. every single time. now with these percs im taking them orally because i do not feel like snorting tylenol and its alot of powder so im sure i wouldnt get much oxy in anyway. im still struggling away and REALLY starting to feel it now and gemby, i understand its MOSTLY mental and i should be able to control it. this is not my first time relasping with this demon, its actually my 4th. i know how it makes me feel and i know how it makes me feel so i should be able to control it and get it into my head that everything is going to be okay, but its just such a powerful depression and guilt that i feel i dont know how to bare with it and its SO frustrating... the worst part besides the depression, is not sleeping. it wrecks me. i hope to talk to you guys soon as im really longing to talk with someone. once again, thanks and godbless.
    OC

Anonymous Guest

Hi OC
    I had a nice long post to you and it just disappeared...
    how are you feeling ? I was kind of thinking you were taking your oxycontin like I did , other wise I think a couple of the oxycodone would have worked..
    when I stopped my oxycontin, I had to take about 20 10mg vics a day just to get stable..ohhh man was I sick ...

lol thats unfortunate, cause im sure i would have liked to hear what you had to say one thing i really would like help with is SLEEP. i cannot seem to get any sleep period. and as the more time that goes by, the more anxiety i feel. its sooooo uncomfortable. is there anything that can help me sleep? i am very desperate. ive heard gravol helps. is this true? is there anything else i can take to help?

Default 240 down to 40 is amazing Ben

Hi Ben, how are you feeling just now?
    sorry not to respond earlier..
    I fell asleep...well thats a miracle for me, sleep and i haven't been mixing so well lately. You are right, take sleep away and everything becomes unbearable eventually. Put a bit back in and it gets instantly better - i care for my mum 24/7 so i get the sleep / depression and frustration thing too.

You are nearly there, I am in the UK and its already Monday for me, so tomorrow you will be at the doc's and back in balance again. What time is your appointment?

Gembey

well to answer your question, i never took my medication like i was supposed to. when i first went to my doctor and told him i needed help tapering off, i was taking roughly 200 - 240mg a day. my doctor then decided to start tapering me at 160mg so take one 40mg oxycontin 4 times a day. i have now tapered myself all the way down to 40 mg a day. but no i never took it the "recommended" way. i would ALWAYS suck the coating off, crush, then snort. every single time. now with these percs im taking them orally because i do not feel like snorting tylenol and its alot of powder so im sure i wouldnt get much oxy in anyway. im still struggling away and REALLY starting to feel it now and gemby, i understand its MOSTLY mental and i should be able to control it. this is not my first time relasping with this demon, its actually my 4th. i know how it makes me feel and i know how it makes me feel so i should be able to control it and get it into my head that everything is going to be okay, but its just such a powerful depression and guilt that i feel i dont know how to bare with it and its SO frustrating... the worst part besides the depression, is not sleeping. it wrecks me. i hope to talk to you guys soon as im really longing to talk with someone. once again, thanks and godbless.
    OC

hi gemby,
    its alright about not posting earlier, sleep actually sounds really nice right about now. too bad i cant do it do you have any suggestions about sleep aids? and unfortuantly it is only sunday evening for me right now so i still have another day and a bit to go... ive made these percs last aslong as possible but its TERRIBLE. not nearly the dose i need to take the sick away. my appointment is early afternoon on tuesday. 2:30pm to be exact

Anonymous Guest

lol thats unfortunate, cause im sure i would have liked to hear what you had to say one thing i really would like help with is SLEEP. i cannot seem to get any sleep period. and as the more time that goes by, the more anxiety i feel. its sooooo uncomfortable. is there anything that can help me sleep? i am very desperate. ive heard gravol helps. is this true? is there anything else i can take to help?
    Hi OC
    do you have any soma's or benzo's ..pm,s benadryl...
    Is your apt monday or tuesday ???

Default practice make perfect eventually..

Chamomile is a natural sedative and calmative, do you have any chamomile tea bags? Lavender works for most folk to quieten down.

Classical music, or any natural sounds type CD, like sound of the ocean, wind, birds, will help, put the music on loop and keep it on - it changes the brain wave patterns from active into a quieter mode pre sleep.

If you haven't any of the above try to imagine your most pleasurable moment, can be anything, doesn't matter what, just see or feel or think it, and imagine you are experiencing it over and over again. Sounds nuts huh, but for me seeing myself putting on my water skies and sefety belt and then the feel of the boat pulling me up and across the water will bring a smile. Find a memory Ben, a moment in time when the world has been good and play it on loop.

Sounds like you are already controlling it, relapsing is not a weakness, just a learning curve. You already are controlling it otherwise you wouldn't be able to taper off like you have done. I know a minute can seem like forever but you are doing so well - still typing, and spelling too, now thats impressive.

This is one of the times to look back and not forward... See how many miles you have already done..

and gemby, i understand its MOSTLY mental and i should be able to control it. this is not my first time relasping with this demon, its actually my 4th.
    OC

hey melinda,
    um no i have neither of those, ive heard that benzos do help but im not sure if my doc will be willing to prescribe them to me because he might not believe in them or he might be afraid of a further addiction. i heard certain benzo's are better for wd's than others, this true? and if so which ones are better. and my appointment is tuesday

Anonymous Guest

hey melinda,
    um no i have neither of those, ive heard that benzos do help but im not sure if my doc will be willing to prescribe them to me because he might not believe in them or he might be afraid of a further addiction. i heard certain benzo's are better for wd's than others, this true? and if so which ones are better. and my appointment is tuesday
    Hi OC
    well if your going to detox off of theoxycontin any of them work..I was taking klonopin...but OHHH my friend dont take them unless your going to detox off the contins...I was taking them along with the soma's and had to detox off all of them...benzo detox makes opiates look like a walk in the park...but they are great for a few days while you get over the w/d of the oxycontin...
    are you thinking about quitting ?? or just getting thru till Tuesday ???

lol i dont plan on taking them together. on tuesday i get my final dose. i will get six 20mg oxycontins which will take me to sunday and then im done. no more. this is when i plan on (hopefully doc allows) taking benzos for 4 or 5 days just until i can get my normal sleep patterns back. is that "ok" or safe? and thats a good idea gemby, maybe i can possibly try it tonight and i can hopefully let you know tomorrow how it works.

Anonymous Guest

lol i dont plan on taking them together. on tuesday i get my final dose. i will get six 20mg oxycontins which will take me to sunday and then im done. no more. this is when i plan on (hopefully doc allows) taking benzos for 4 or 5 days just until i can get my normal sleep patterns back. is that "ok" or safe? and thats a good idea gemby, maybe i can possibly try it tonight and i can hopefully let you know tomorrow how it works.
    even if you ask him for some Ambien..that will help ....
    ask him for that !!!

Default thinking of you Ben

Just to let you know I have been thinking of you and sending every best thought I can to you.

hi again,
    i have taken my final perc early this morning and it is now evening and i can already feel sickness. i start to feel the emotional rush and depression. my question about ambien to you melinda is, is it addictive? as in leaving me withdrawals or not able to sleep after i stop taking it? same with benzos, IF my doc agrees to give me them, will i be able to take them for around 4 or 5 days and then go cold turkey without withdrawals. it may be greedy to say but i would really only rather to go through one detox rather than two you know? and also, as you and many other people have said on here, benzo withdrawals are MUCH WORSE compared to opiate withdrawals.

Any feedback would be awsome!

thanks,
    OC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast