Name brand or generic? Why??
    jayzeey is offline New Member

Default Name brand or generic? Why??

Specifically psychiatric drugs. How do name brand psychiatric drugs influence doctors to prescribe them? Some don't have generic, but many do. Why not prescribe the generic then if it costs the patient less and its the same thing?
    What influences doctors to do this?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jacob
    jacobzagorac@yahoo.com
    Last edited by jayzeey; 01-05-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: formatting font size didnt work

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by jayzeey View Post
    Specifically psychiatric drugs. How do name brand psychiatric drugs influence doctors to prescribe them? Some don't have generic, but many do. Why not prescribe the generic then if it costs the patient less and its the same thing?
    What influences doctors to do this?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jacob
    jacobzagorac@yahoo.com

Jacob ... this sounds like strictly a personal thing with an individual dr to me. There are no legitimate reasons why a dr wouldn't RX a generic if all things are the same.

The only reason I can give you is that these drug companies all have sales reps out there. They are trying to convince drs to RX their meds instead of another company's meds for a given medical condition be it psychiatric or other problem. I can not think of any other reason for a dr doing this. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Default A Lot Of Reasons

It really shouldn't matter if a doctor writes it for Paroxetine or Paxil (for example), by law (I do believe especially if you have insurance) the pharmacy has to fill it with the lower cost generic. I do believe they get some kind of incentive, not necessarily money, trips or gifts, to write it for the name brand knowing darn well it will be filled with a generic, they have relationships with the pharm reps, I'm saying I think they get some kind of benefit for it, however small it may be even if it's only professional courtesy. He may like Eli Lilly or Glaxo SmithKline, and dislike Mylan for example, he has little to no say in what will be dispensed, so he writes it for name brand Paxil. I think they also know how to write it so your Rx doesn't get filled with something he believes is inferior. Idk, there may even be a un/or written rule stipulating certain drugs should be written for name brand only. Also realize some drugs are only available in certain strengths from specific pharm mfr's, a good example is Lorcet, Vicodin HP, and Norco.
    I want to say too, medicine isn't a pure science, that's why they call it a practice, many doctors have success with a certain brand, or want to experiment with a newer one, they'll never know if it gives good results unless they try it, then there's always the complicated drug to drug and condition interactions to factor in deciding what to prescribe for a patient. If they have good results with drug A even though it has no generic then drug B that does, and costs 1/5 the price he wants to give you the best results regardless of cost. Some psych meds work better for depression or schizophrenia, while others for O-C, mood elevators, sedation, etc. and all variables in between. It's a judgment call.
    Hope this helps
    Cats