Lying about medical history for narcotics
    permanentvacation88 is offline New Member

Default Lying about medical history for narcotics

I recently caught my cousin with a large amount of xanax and vicodin and asked where he got it from. We've been close for years and he knows anything he tells me is in confidence and it's totally between him and I. I asked him how he got all of it because I know he's never been prescribed any of these drugs before. He said he went to a doctor and claimed he was just put back on his parents insurance and that he had previously been prescribed 2mg xanax 4 times daily as well as 500mg vicodin 4 times daily and needed to get back on those meds now that he had insurance again. I'm amazed that the doctor went along with it and wrote him those prescriptions even though the doctor even said he couldn't find any medical history about that for my cousin. Here's my question: Will the doctor dig deeper to find out more information about his previous medical history, and if so, can my cousin get into any legal trouble for lying and receiving these narcotics? Or will the doctor just stop giving him the prescriptions? I just want to know so that if there are any legal ramifications I can intervene as soon as possible and hopefully get my cousin to fess up before it's too late for him. Thank you all for any help you can give

Quote Originally Posted by permanentvacation88 View Post
    I recently caught my cousin with a large amount of xanax and vicodin and asked where he got it from. We've been close for years and he knows anything he tells me is in confidence and it's totally between him and I. I asked him how he got all of it because I know he's never been prescribed any of these drugs before. He said he went to a doctor and claimed he was just put back on his parents insurance and that he had previously been prescribed 2mg xanax 4 times daily as well as 500mg vicodin 4 times daily and needed to get back on those meds now that he had insurance again. I'm amazed that the doctor went along with it and wrote him those prescriptions even though the doctor even said he couldn't find any medical history about that for my cousin. Here's my question: Will the doctor dig deeper to find out more information about his previous medical history, and if so, can my cousin get into any legal trouble for lying and receiving these narcotics? Or will the doctor just stop giving him the prescriptions? I just want to know so that if there are any legal ramifications I can intervene as soon as possible and hopefully get my cousin to fess up before it's too late for him. Thank you all for any help you can give

It depends on the doctor. The doctor would have the RIGHT to press charges. He could be charged with deception to obtain a dangerous drug. Which is a felony in most states and a pretty serious charge. However, it is very likely he will just stop prescribing him the med's and tell him not to come back. Really, it just depends on the doctor. I don't know what part of the country your in (I'm in Ohio) but that's what happens here when somebody does something like that. My cousin (ironically...) did almost the same thing. The first doctor just refused to see him anymore, but he did it again. The second doctor he did it to pressed charges on him. He was charged with three counts of deception to obtain a dangerous drug, because he had three different prescriptions. He ended up in ALL kinds of trouble and now has 3 felony's on his record. Went to jail, then a half way house. Then an out patient rehab center. And he still get's drug tested twice a week by his probation officer (two years later). I would make sure your cousin knows what COULD happen and the trouble he COULD get into. Not saying he would/will, but it's possible. Hopefully the doctor doesn't want to waste his time pushing it and your cousin learns a lesson. Hope that helps. Good luck.

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

I doubt the doctor will do much.. he has to protect himself as he is just as much at fault as your cousin. I bet all he will do is Rx for a few Mo's then drop him.

These doctor should be fined at the least... soon, they will have to be more proactive in his search for drug seekers. Soon, they will be held accountable for their laziness and putting the Almighty buck first.

Your cousin is paving a way for total self distruction for sure. Benzo habit is the worse and most dangerous with life long affects after addiction.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-29-2011 at 01:09 PM.

jimpolara is offline New Member

That is ridiculous that a doctor would just give all that out without verifying anything or at least doing any of his own tests. Very sad to see this happen as it makes people view this medications as less serious when a doctor is so willing to just hand them out like there nothing.

ohmi is offline New Member

i live in ohio too. I can't find a doctor to prescribe pain meds for me. They want me to go thru a pain management group. I have to travel all the way back to the detroit area once a month!

suemay is offline New Member

funny how some have no problem and some do

thedocsquawk.com is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimpolara View Post
    That is ridiculous that a doctor would just give all that out without verifying anything or at least doing any of his own tests. Very sad to see this happen as it makes people view this medications as less serious when a doctor is so willing to just hand them out like there nothing.
    +1. Someone showing up for the first time in your office asking for a boatload of narcotics is the first sign of something going wrong. The second sign is the patient skipping out the door with a prescription in hand.

disabledleo is offline Member

Default My thought about this

Being forced into retirement because of medical problems from the police force I can tell you his legal troubles are not what you should be worried about. The doctor wrote the rx's & if there are legal problems they would fall on them not the patient. Now the doctor will more than likely never look any more into his history because he probably is like most & sees more patience than he can keep up with & they are pushing as many people as they can thru their doors. It all comes down to $$$ I can honestly say that about that doctor because he did not do his job in this case at all.
    The problem now is the result of your cousin being hooked on the junk & thats that. I will not judge or preach but if you do care about this person stop worrying about legal fees & start figuring out how to get this person off the meds. Unless they are really needed they are only going to end up causing problems that can be stopped now.
    Good luck & you already know what needs to be done.

disabledleo is offline Member

Default 1 other thing to add

I would do some research & find a doctor local that can help because I have been blessed to have actually found a doctor that actually cares & has been taking care of me for awhile now so there are doctors out there that are willing to help. Good luck & find someone to help or this person will end up going down a long road. There are people out there that are willing to help others I have found that finally

sweetsusan935 is offline New Member

Post drug seekers and doctors

Drug seekers make it very diffucult with people that actually have pain. Most doctors are careful and monitor you closely when taking narcotics. I went through an experiance 10 years ago,when I had severe headaches from pseudotumor cerebri. These are 10x worse than even migrains. The dr. started me out on a low dose of oxycontin,with morphine es inbetween doses. My body got used to the dose,so the dr. kept upping the dose until I was taking 480 mg,along with the morphine. It addressed my pain,but I was pretty much in a stupor. I had another dr. tell me it was more than he gives dying patients. I had a shunt put in,that helped the headaches,but it took me an entire year to wean off this drug. It had terrible repercussions,as my husband got tired of having a disabled wife,and divorced me after almost 20 years. My son(even though I had them in a lock box) stole my drugs,and is now battling a severe opiate addiction. Thank God,i got off this dangerous drug. Even if it helped my pain,it was definately not worth it!I think the Dr. that gave me such a massive amount,that really could of killed me(I'm a little woman)was very irresponsible. I don't feel as if it is always the patient at fault. Narcotics need awareness between Dr. and patient. I pray for addicts that have gone so far,they end up in jail . Thanks for reading this. Sincerely,Susan