Just looking for a quick answer please
    sherrihadley is offline New Member

Default Just looking for a quick answer please

I have swore off all narcotic and supposedly non narcotic (tramadol) medication. I have twisted my ankle and it is pretty swollen and sore. I was wondering what OTC medication I can take for the pain and swelling that will help. I have a bottle of Aleve and also a bottle of Exedrin. I think I may have a few Motrin 800's left over from a recent dental procedure as well. Will this stuff be good enough and which one should I take. I have been drug free for over a month now and am pretty proud to say that. Thanls for your help

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

I have always been a fan of Motrin. I would try that one since it is an anti-inflammatory. Good luck! And congrats on being opiate free!!

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I agree with Rose.. You'd be surprised how well perscription strength motrin really works. I am a chronic opiate user and I was pleasantly surprised, especially with an inflammation. Narcotics are not the answer in this situation. You've been clean and should really stay that way. Over a month? You should be proud to say that.

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

Motrin, 800, plenty of ice on ankle, elevate, and get rest. You cAN also take tylenol with it. congrats on being drug free for a month!

painful_crash_2005 is offline New Member

As far as over-the-counter, you would definitely benefit from an anti-inflammatory pill. If the injury is fairly new and the pain is pretty harsh right now, (and if you were to run out of your Motrin, then, my Doctor has always told me for the more severe pain (especially if you're trying to steer clear of prescriptions) you can take (and, YES, this DOES sound like a LOT, but it's along the lines of prescription strength Motrin, etc.):

2--Extra Strength Tylenol
    4-Regular Strength Ibuprofen

And this can be taken every 6-8 hours. (I typically use this method with dental procedures). They key is not to over-do the Tylenol, as Acetaminophen can build up and effect the [deleted - was incorrect]. Ibuprofen, on the other hand, can build up and effect the [deleted - was incorrect] (This is because different meds are broken down and processed in the body through/in different organs).

One other OTC (over-the-counter) med that most people don't think of is Percogesic. It is a combination of Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and Diphenhydramine (an antihistamine) but this can cause you to become very drowsy--good to take at night. Best of luck.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 11-14-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

painful_crash_2005 ......... I understand that you have the best of intentions here. Not to be critical but you've got this exactly backwards! Acetaminophen or Tylenol is metabolized in the liver. That is why the liver can be adversely affected when you take hydrocodone or percs that have acetaminophen (apap) in them. Ibuprofen is metabolized in the kidneys so that is why drs make the switch to get people on something that doesn't add problems for the liver when coming off RX opiates. Same with Naproxen (aleve) which is another NSAID like Ibuprofen. The prescription strength ibuprofen or naproxen either one is usually prescribed three times a day, normally every 4-6 hours as needed for pain.

I just needed to get that point straight so no one mistakenly took Acetaminophen to help their liver. It makes it worse! Acetaminophen (tylenol) is the apap that you find in fast acting opiates like percs or hydrocodone. Hope that gets this poing straight. Be careful to tell people the right information regarding medication so you don't harm anyone with liver problems as this could do that with the example you gave if a person had a bad liver problem. God bless.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 11-14-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

painful_crash_2005 is offline New Member

Robert--

I do realize I made a mistake, and thanks for pointing it out. I suppose in trying to add all of the info, I inadvertently switched the two. I am aware of what drug metabolizes in what organ. I apologize, Sherri & Robert.