• 1 Post By primetimegrape
  • 1 Post By manwhosoldtheworld
  • 1 Post By femmy
  • 1 Post By primetimegrape
I was prescribed oxycodone
    JDude is offline New Member

Default I was prescribed oxycodone

Hi.

I recently went to urgent care and was prescribed with oxycodone for back pain but I'm kind of nervous to take them. Whenever I'm prescribed a new medication I always check online for potential side effects and other stuff, and I read that they increase risk of seizures.

When I was a kid I used to have seizures but have since outgrown them (one of the lucky ones) so I'm wondering if this is safe to take or if I should ask for hydro's? The last thing I want is to induce a seizure by taking these.

Default should be fine

Oxycodone is a potent narcotic painkiller, and depending on your level of pain, the doctor might have felt these are more appropriate than hydrocodone, a strong a painkiller, but not as strong as oxycodone. The seizure risk is low, and as long as u take them as prescribed u should not have a problem with them. The one painkiller that u have to worry about a seizure risk is Tramadol (also known as Ultram or Ultracet brand names) . That can def. increase your risks of seizures if u have had a history of seizures or abuse them, even though it is a "non-narcotic", it is kind of like Darvocet (when it was legal, now pulled b/c FDA says it can cause heart problems, this after the drug has been in use for over 50 years and based on a very weak case study. Still question that one). Tramadol will prob. become a controlled-substance, a schedule IV more than likely since some ppl do abuse them, but as far as the oxycodone, u should be fine, but if u are that worried, then ask for the hydrocodones instead or Tylenol with Codeine or Vicoprofen (Vicoden and Ibuprofen, a good combo for pain). Good luck to u, and I hope u feel better. I have a psyc. degree and have studied all sorts of meds for numerous years and was a former drug addict many years ago, but now I try to help others and give advice even though I am not a doctor. Only your doctor knows what's best, but here are some more options:

Another option (again I don't know your pain level and why u are having to take painkillers) are some potent muscle relaxers. Valium actually works great for muscle pain, and I was prescribed Valium for my back. They are a long acting drug. Another good one is Soma (Carisoprodol). These are very good muscle relaxers and work great for pain. Some ppl do abuse them, but they are not a controlled substance and only come in 350mg tabs. It has some kind of sedative in it that makes it different from other kinds of muscle relaxers, most which I have found to do absolutely nothing (drugs like Flexeril, Skelaxin, Zanaflex, Methocarbamol, Robaxin, Baclofen, and even NSAID drugs like Naprosyn really don't help with severe pain, so stay away from these since doctors always try to give these out like they are wonder drugs). Soma works the best, but it is also the most addicting, but not addicting like heorin or some high level drug. Most ppl don't get hooked on them and they work great for pain or a long acting benzo. like I said such as Diazepam (Valium) or Klonopin may be a suitable option, again this depends on what type of pain u are experiencing. Hope some of this helps. U should be fine though with your script just take it as prescribed, but if u are uncomfortable, get something else, may one of these I mentioned. Good luck and God Bless!
    Last edited by primetimegrape; 08-21-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: add words
    JDude likes this.

JDude is offline New Member

Thanks for your response, just didn't want to trigger a seizure as I've been past them for so long, about 15 years now. Perhaps it is an over reaction on my part but I just wanted to be sure.

Default np

Quote Originally Posted by JDude View Post
    Thanks for your response, just didn't want to trigger a seizure as I've been past them for so long, about 15 years now. Perhaps it is an over reaction on my part but I just wanted to be sure.
    no problem, and i totally understand your concern. U did the right thing by asking for advice. Again, I am not a doctor, but the things I outlined are options. Your chances of seizures are low, not impossible, but low. Now if it were Tramadol, like I mentioned, that would be more cause for alarm. Hope all goes well, but if u do start feeling weird or are that worried then def. see a doctor just to be safe. God Bless

manwhosoldtheworld is offline Junior Member

yeah sign in to oc-80 if prescribed i also tried that for 4 years its better than the hydrocodone and valium

icanhelpu is offline New Member

Default BE nervous..... of severe addiction

Quote Originally Posted by JDude View Post
    Hi.

I recently went to urgent care and was prescribed with oxycodone for back pain but I'm kind of nervous to take them. Whenever I'm prescribed a new medication I always check online for potential side effects and other stuff, and I read that they increase risk of seizures.

When I was a kid I used to have seizures but have since outgrown them (one of the lucky ones) so I'm wondering if this is safe to take or if I should ask for hydro's? The last thing I want is to induce a seizure by taking these.
    Opiate is NOT the answer. It is a death trap and destroys lives. I took my percocet for back pain too. It only takes more and more to feel better, then when u run out you have severe WD that make the flu seem like wonderland. If you r seeing a DO doctor for bones they have been the biggest pushers of opiate for me and my friends. There are manymany options. Trigger point injection shots, epidurals where u r in and out of health center in three hours. They knock u out thats why. Abdominal exercises u can google and physical therapy will strengthen ur back and u will leave with the knowledge of how to use the techniques at home. I am in bed suffering because I started off just like you. It got so bad through legal divorce i went to methadone for 2 months after 2 weeks of hell I finally gave into subs for 2 years. today is day 17 off subs and im in bed. PLEASE!!! learn from my mistakes. And dont fool yourself oxy feels good now, but it masks the pain so when u stop its back. Lastly, a 10's unit is wonderful ask your doc or get from the internet. It has pads u stick to the sore parts and it stimulates them to relax. Let me know how u r doing. Definitely streatch it an strengthen abs. Im also IFPA certified personal trainer. most common back prob it over weight and weak muscles.

icanhelpu is offline New Member

Exclamation not good advice

Quote Originally Posted by manwhosoldtheworld View Post
    yeah sign in to oc-80 if prescribed i also tried that for 4 years its better than the hydrocodone and valium
    This is a cure???? This is a sure way to addiction. oc80s....omg: that is nothing more than shooting a fly with a shot gun..... he isn't an addict YET; like u and i. If u say your not... go off fo 2 days then respond. What would happen without your pills just pain?? No! severe hell and a craving for more. Please we need to help not encourage deadly habits. I'm sorry you have to take those to live.
    Last edited by icanhelpu; 08-24-2011 at 01:31 AM.

manwhosoldtheworld is offline Junior Member

Default i know...!!! icanhelpu

Thank for the comment icanhelpu i used it for my pain but i was not addicted to this Only with the proscription a person not asking how to quit. i also don't like this stuff i worked for a pharma company and i have seen people flushing and trashing these pill i know that drugs wont give life a keep one healthy. i would rather say taking drugs?? get a life i dont recommend them man..... Stay Blessed
    Percodeth likes this.

Percodeth is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by manwhosoldtheworld View Post
    icnhlpu first i was too desperate abt dis

Ginger LaBeouf is offline New Member

I was also prescribed Oxycodone for pain after surgery. I was afraid to take it in fear of getting addicted, but it caused me to be so dizzy when I took it, I didn't even get through half of my prescription before I refused to take it anymore.

femmy is offline New Member

JDude, don't let them scare you into thinking that you will get addicted to pain killers like oxycodone. I have been on pain killers for over 10 years and I don't have cravings for them and I always take them as prescribed (no more, no less). As long as you do that, you shouldn't get addicted. Your body will become dependant over time but not addicted. Once your body is dependant, you will have withdrawal symptoms if you abruptly stop taking the medicine. A taper is best if you feel you don't need to take oxycodone anymore. Your body gets dependant to a lot substances you take in (vitamins, caffeine, chocolate). Your body will just be looking for something it doesn't have that it usually gets and get mad about it and produce withdrawal symptoms that are unpleasant. But not cravings for the drug as long as you take them as prescribed. Good luck to you.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by femmy View Post
    JDude, don't let them scare you into thinking that you will get addicted to pain killers like oxycodone. I have been on pain killers for over 10 years and I don't have cravings for them and I always take them as prescribed (no more, no less). As long as you do that, you shouldn't get addicted. Your body will become dependant over time but not addicted. Once your body is dependant, you will have withdrawal symptoms if you abruptly stop taking the medicine. A taper is best if you feel you don't need to take oxycodone anymore. Your body gets dependant to a lot substances you take in (vitamins, caffeine, chocolate). Your body will just be looking for something it doesn't have that it usually gets and get mad about it and produce withdrawal symptoms that are unpleasant. But not cravings for the drug as long as you take them as prescribed. Good luck to you.
    haha, dependant but not addicted. now theres a joke... go a few days without and see how you go. jdude is correct to be wary of opiates. there are other options without resorting to opiates...

thats the funniest thing ive read here all night. if you take them as prescribed you wont get addicted. hah. how do you think half of the addicts on here got started.??

p.s read your other post. jeez you are on a anti depressants, and been suicidal, and you are advising someone, no worries, go for the opiates, dont be scared. you need to check yourself lady
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-05-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Anonymous Guest

J DUDE,

best advice i could give you, is if you really need the pain killers. take them.

but only for a very short time. hope your back improves and you dont even need to worry bout them. have you tried ibuprofen, and tylenol....

worth a shot. dont listen to the people saying, sure, go right ahead..

proceed with caution mate. you obviously are. good on ya...

cheeky

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    haha, dependant but not addicted. now theres a joke... go a few days without and see how you go. jdude is correct to be wary of opiates. there are other options without resorting to opiates...

thats the funniest thing ive read here all night. if you take them as prescribed you wont get addicted. hah. how do you think half of the addicts on here got started.??

p.s read your other post. jeez you are on a anti depressants, and been suicidal, and you are advising someone, no worries, go for the opiates, dont be scared. you need to check yourself lady
    Taking an anti-depressant doesn't mean that a person is suicidal. Did I say that? No, I didn't. Anti-depressants help change how a person perceives pain. When added into a comprehensive pain management program, it helps a person deal with the pain better. Also, dealing with chronic pain year after year makes some people depressed. The depression can make the pain worse. And some people would rather die than be in continual torment from pain. However, I have a little boy to live for so for me that is not an option.

Addiction spawns psychologically not physically. That is dependance, which is different. If you have an addiction type personality, then you are at a higher risk of becoming addicted to opiates. I have been on opiates for over 10 years and I am not addicted. They simply take away a good amount of my pain so I can work and provide for my family. I am fully aware of the withdrawal symptoms and how severe they can be as I have gone through them before and they aren't fun (didn't say by any means that withdrawal is easy). But for me, the psychological component of craving pills was not there. In fact, I HATE TAKING PILLS! I only take what I need to make the pain manageable and only within the prescribed limits on the bottle. The psychological component of craving pills and plotting ways to get them by whatever means possible even if it results in destructive behavior is addiction. If I don't have my medications, I just don't plain have them. I would never go out and roam the street just to find them. I take other medicines for pain relief that are non-narcotic along with self-accupunture, stretching, mild excercise, and lumbar epidural steroid injections every 3 months.

Without good pain control, I would be bedridden in debilitating pain. Opiates have been a livesaver for me. Until you have chronic pain, you have no experience to back up your words. If you used them to get high, then in that case you do have the experience to provide information to other addicts going downhill. JDude is not an addict. And I should add that the more you abuse, the worse the withdrawal symptoms are. I do not shoot up my pills, snort my pills, or take more than I am supposed to. When they stop relieving my pain, I make a doctor appointment to explain my increased pain (I regularly fill out a pain chart throughout the day to provide to my doctor) and together we decide what is the best approach going forward.

I hope that one day I will be able to switch from opiate medications to a medication that has no addictive properties at all and only relieves pain just as well as opiates so I don't have to continually be labeled an addict when I am not. Until they invent a pain medicine like that, I continue to deal with the stigma.

femmy

Default what u feel comfortable with

Oxycodone's biggest danger I think is addiction. That said, u were prob. only given a small supply I would assume, but as far as the seizure risk, there is some but a low probability. A drug called Tramadol, a rather new painkiller def. has a seizure risk associated with it and ppl are abusing it, I have no idea why, b/c I take them from time to time and they are non-narcotic although in them releases serotonin and works a little on your opioid receptors. That said, if u have not abused hydrocodone in the past and have been on them before, those are safer and less addicting than oxycodone, but again hydro's can also be abused, so just be careful and do with u are most comfortable with. Oxycodone is fine when taken only for a short period of time and it does help with severe pain, and if the pain is real bad u may want to stick with them, but there are other options. Just talk to your doctor. Good luck

Default not everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger LaBeouf View Post
    I was also prescribed Oxycodone for pain after surgery. I was afraid to take it in fear of getting addicted, but it caused me to be so dizzy when I took it, I didn't even get through half of my prescription before I refused to take it anymore.
    Not everyone gets addicted to pain meds. In fact, most ppl don't, but the ones that do either already had an existing drug problem or were on the pain meds for too long. Taking pain meds like hydrocodone and oxycodone are fine for short periods of time, and like after surgery u may have to be on this type of med longer, but it is the doctor's job to supervise and taper u off, esp. if u have been on them longer than a month. Don't get scared about getting addicted. Not everyone does. If u have an addictive personality to things, that could play a role, but if the med made u dizzy, it was good u stopped taking it. Always take narcotic pain meds with something in your stomach. Oxy's are strong, maybe hydrocodone may be better, it is still a potent narcotic but def. less addicting than oxycodone and there are other pain meds. Just talk to your doctor. Best of luck to u!

Quote Originally Posted by primetimegrape View Post
    Oxycodone's biggest danger I think is addiction. That said, u were prob. only given a small supply I would assume, but as far as the seizure risk, there is some but a low probability. A drug called Tramadol, a rather new painkiller def. has a seizure risk associated with it and ppl are abusing it, I have no idea why, b/c I take them from time to time and they are non-narcotic although in them releases serotonin and works a little on your opioid receptors. That said, if u have not abused hydrocodone in the past and have been on them before, those are safer and less addicting than oxycodone, but again hydro's can also be abused, so just be careful and do with u are most comfortable with. Oxycodone is fine when taken only for a short period of time and it does help with severe pain, and if the pain is real bad u may want to stick with them, but there are other options. Just talk to your doctor. Good luck
    I agree mostly with the comments within your post. I was on Tramadol for 5 years before switching to true opiates for pain. I had horrible withdrawals from that medication.

Unfortunately, for many with the disease of chronic pain, there is no cure and many of us (myself included) are subjected to opiate pain killer use for the rest of our lives. I do think long term opiate use can be safe without leading to addiction. I take a long acting form of morphine and only oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I definitely think that if someone has chronic pain that the doctors can't fix, that they should be transitioned to a long acting opioid (fentanyl, morphine, methadone) for coverage of their baseline pain level and then a short acting opioid (oxycodone, hydrocodone) for periods when the pain breaks through the long acting medicine, which is sometimes triggered by increased activity or can come on without warning.

It sucks that opiate medications are the biggest hope for many of us with chronic pain to live normal or as close to normal lives. I personally have been told that surgery could fix one region of my pain but the extensive nerve damage in other areas would persist to aggravate me and that surgery could result in more scar tissue leading to more chronic pain. The lumbar epidural injections really work well for my pain but recently I have told by my anesthesiologist that the injections are turning my bones to mush and are not a long term solution. So in other words, the injections are helping my pain for now but will backfire on me eventually and lead to arthritis of the hip. Joy!!

Default wish u the best

I agree mostly with the comments within your post. I was on Tramadol for 5 years before switching to true opiates for pain. I had horrible withdrawals from that medication.

Unfortunately, for many with the disease of chronic pain, there is no cure and many of us (myself included) are subjected to opiate pain killer use for the rest of our lives. I do think long term opiate use can be safe without leading to addiction. I take a long acting form of morphine and only oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I definitely think that if someone has chronic pain that the doctors can't fix, that they should be transitioned to a long acting opioid (fentanyl, morphine, methadone) for coverage of their baseline pain level and then a short acting opioid (oxycodone, hydrocodone) for periods when the pain breaks through the long acting medicine, which is sometimes triggered by increased activity or can come on without warning.

It sucks that opiate medications are the biggest hope for many of us with chronic pain to live normal or as close to normal lives. I personally have been told that surgery could fix one region of my pain but the extensive nerve damage in other areas would persist to aggravate me and that surgery could result in more scar tissue leading to more chronic pain. The lumbar epidural injections really work well for my pain but recently I have told by my anesthesiologist that the injections are turning my bones to mush and are not a long term solution. So in other words, the injections are helping my pain for now but will backfire on me eventually and lead to arthritis of the hip. Joy!!
    Yes, in some cases, def. like yours, u have no choice but to rely on opiate meds. Under proper supervision and dosage, most ppl usually do not have problems, and I have heard of the long acting morphine. U would think ppl get easily hooked on that, but not true. I hear that it is used quite frequently for chronic pain patients and due to its slow release it is less addicting, and of course use oxy's if u def. have to. Sounds like u have your pain med. situation under control, but that does suck, your situation. I really wish u the best of luck. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by primetimegrape View Post
    Yes, in some cases, def. like yours, u have no choice but to rely on opiate meds. Under proper supervision and dosage, most ppl usually do not have problems, and I have heard of the long acting morphine. U would think ppl get easily hooked on that, but not true. I hear that it is used quite frequently for chronic pain patients and due to its slow release it is less addicting, and of course use oxy's if u def. have to. Sounds like u have your pain med. situation under control, but that does suck, your situation. I really wish u the best of luck. God Bless
    Yes, I can definitely testify that the morphine is a rather benign opiate medicine when taken in slow release form. The pain relief comes transparently without even feeling like you took an opioid. With the oxycodone, you definitely know you took one. The oxycodone brings pain relief as loud as a sledge hammer. Because of that, I use them sparingly. When a particular break through med stops working, I talk to my doctor about increasing my long acting medicine not the break through med.

Oxycodone is a very powerful pain killer but its easy to see how so many people get tricked by it. And oxycontin is one long acting medicine that is dangerous as well because over 40% of the oxycodone is released immediately versus all of the medicine being on a time released mechanism. I have never tried oxycontin but have heard stories. Oxycodone in any form is a double edged sword and it is important that chronic pain patients know what they are up against and are fully aware of its benefits and risks. Like you said earlier, it is very important that folks are careful with their oxycodone prescriptions. Oxycodone to me, is a rescue type opioid or an opioid for acute pain from a recent injury or surgery.

Thank you primetime for the blessings. I definitely them. You're so sweet.
    primetimegrape likes this.

Red face thanks

Yes, I can definitely testify that the morphine is a rather benign opiate medicine when taken in slow release form. The pain relief comes transparently without even feeling like you took an opioid. With the oxycodone, you definitely know you took one. The oxycodone brings pain relief as loud as a sledge hammer. Because of that, I use them sparingly. When a particular break through med stops working, I talk to my doctor about increasing my long acting medicine not the break through med.

Oxycodone is a very powerful pain killer but its easy to see how so many people get tricked by it. And oxycontin is one long acting medicine that is dangerous as well because over 40% of the oxycodone is released immediately versus all of the medicine being on a time released mechanism. I have never tried oxycontin but have heard stories. Oxycodone in any form is a double edged sword and it is important that chronic pain patients know what they are up against and are fully aware of its benefits and risks. Like you said earlier, it is very important that folks are careful with their oxycodone prescriptions. Oxycodone to me, is a rescue type opioid or an opioid for acute pain from a recent injury or surgery.

Thank you primetime for the blessings. I definitely them. You're so sweet.
    Thanks, I am blushing, lol at the sweet comment, but u def. have my blessings. Sad thing is about oxycontin is that it is actually a slow release painkiller. PPl started abusing it when they found out they could chew it, but when taken orally and not chewed, it is not that addicting, but when chewed it releases a potent high and that is why ppl get hooked. Oxycodone is great to have when u need it 4 sure, and in your case it is def. a good thing to have on hand just in case. God Bless!
    femmy likes this.