Hydromorph Contin
    dalejrfan71 is offline Member

Thumbs up Hydromorph Contin

I went to see my doctor last week about getting refills for my medications. He asked me if I was happy with my pain medications. I said that I was not happy with them, so he had me take a pain quiz. Each question had a level of 1 to 10 for pain level. My average level was 8 out of 10.

He switched my pain medication Oxycontin to Hydromorph Contin. He started me at 6mg twice a day, then I have to go back and see him next week to see if that dose is working well. I'll have to take another pain quiz. I'm gonna need him to bump me up a dose to 9mg as the 6mg isn't taking away all of the pain.

I have noticed that since he switched me to the hydromorph contin that I am not nearly as tired as I was when I was taking the oxycontin. I was reading that hydromorph contin is not available in the US, is this true and if yes why? I am still taking percocet 5/325mg for break through pain.

My rheumatologist tried to get me a second opinion from another rheumatologist about my back pain. Unfortunately none of them wanted to give me a second opinion. When I told my doctor that he was shocked, thats when he had me take the pain quiz. It looks like that he's going to be my pain doctor and if he wants me to sign a contract I'll do it.

My doctor also thinks that I might have a pinched nerve in my lower back. I told him that whenever I put pressure on my lower back the pain went away. My wife bought me a back belt from the company Obus Forme as an early Christmas present. The back belt works awesome for my back pain. That was the reason my energy level was always so low was because of horrible back pain.

Is the hydromorph contin stronger than oxycontin? Can I be on the hydromorph contin long term? I asked my doctor will my back pain go away even if I lost weight, he said that my back will always have excruciating pain for the rest of my life.
    If you want to live life on your own terms,
    You got to be willing to crash and burn

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Same as Palladone, yeah they pulled it here, which was made by Purdue, hence the "contin" name. It was pulled in 2005 because when people mixed it with alcohol it released the full amount of the dose and caused people to OD. So be careful with that!
    I didn't know it was still available in Canada, as far as I know Purdue discontinued it. Hydromorphone is 5 times stronger then morphine, whereas Oxy is about 1.75 times stronger, I would assume the ER's would correlate roughly the same way.

Please describe your pill and imprint for me, and is PF the mfr.

Cats

It is a pink capsule that says Hydromorph Contin on the top part of the capsule and 6mg and PF on the bottom of the capsule.

Is 6mg the strongest dose of hydromorph contin? Two weeks ago my doctor prescribed them to me for horrible pain due to arthritis of my lower spine.

Thanks Dale, that's the same imprint as the d/c ones (Canadian). Idk if they're still available, but I show them in 3, 6, 12, 24, and 30 mg caps.

I have to see my doctor on thursday too see if the 6mg strength of hydromorph contin is working well. My doctor is going to have me take another pain quiz to see if my level of pain has subsided. So far the pain level hasn't really changed much, I think that my doctor is going to have to increase the dose to 12mg.

You know, always try not to bump your dose up until you have to, best to bide your time.
    You're lucky to have this drug as an option, I wonder if it'll ever make a return to the states? (I don't expect an answer on that)
    Good luck.
    Cats

Cats Meow,

Do you know if there is any other pain medication for break through pain besides percocet here in Canada? I have been taking percocets for a year now and there not working as well now.

jenmary is offline New Member

Default re: breakthrough pain

Hydromorphone, Name brand dilaudid; Is a very effective med for breakthrough pain. It peaks between 1.5-2 hrs. lasting approx. 4hrs. It has the same risk of dependence that most opiods have, but if you have been using percs for over a year you are probably already aware of the risks, and have achieved a dependancy. They come in tablet form in 1,2,4,&8mg. Hydromorph Contin is the long last form of the drug as indicated by the term "contin" . Tramaset is another one but in my personal experiance not nearly as effective. Morphine Sulphate is a fairly effective medication for breakthrough pain as well, also coming in a variety of mgs. the 50mg ones seem comparable to the 4mg hydromorphone. If you are already on Hydromorh Contin I believe that hydromophone would be most effective. If you were on MS Contin I advise the morph sulfate. Hydromorphone is relatively inexpensive and the generic is just as good as the name brand. Perhaps if you were to boost the hydro contin dose from, for example 12mg to 15 or 18mg you might not need as much breakthrough pain meds. I would suggest starting at 2mg and going up 1-2 mg at a time and with the contin going up by 3mg at a time. Having been on many different meds for my TMJ, I have found the Hydromorph family to be the most effective and least dibilitating. Aslo the wide variety of dosage amounts allows for sort of "micro managing" your pain. That being said, I find that Ibuprofin is often very effective in dealing with breakthrough pain, and is all I need. If you have a compromised liver however, Ibuprofin should be avoided. Good luck! I hope I was a help. there are also 18mg hydromorh caps
    I suggest you go from six to nine mg of the contin, one six and one three. Are you taking 2 or 3 times a day?
    Last edited by jenmary; 12-16-2009 at 09:06 AM.

I am currently taking the hydromorph contin twice a day, every 12 hours. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow to see if the dose of hydromorph contin needs to be adjusted.

Default Update!

My doctor bumped up the dose of my hydromorph to 12 mgs from 6mgs. I am noticing a big difference in the pain relief compared to the 6mgs. I am lucky to have my doctor who believes me when I tell him about the pain I am going through. My doctor wants me to stop taking percocets while I am taking the hydromorph, does this make sense?

Yes it makes sense, he needs to stabilize you on a CR and assess your pain level and effectiveness. I think the other guy answered your question to me, for BT besides oxy there's morphine, dilaudid (which makes more sense), and tramacet, propoxyphene I won't even list, not sure of its availability anyway.
    You know, I've been talking to you for awhile, before you were taking anything, look where you're at right now, really, you need to be careful and not go too far to fast, and like your meds too much, I know they make you feel good (besides take away the pain), that's the danger, you always need to be aware of this, too many good people can't help themselves when they get to a point, and don't worry about tomorrow, it's the nature of the beast, beware! In the long run it happens to just about everybody, it can destroy everything you have, I don't want that to happen to you, end of lecture.
    Hope this helps.
    Cats

Talking

Hi Cats Meow,

I don't think that you gave me a lecture, it shows that you care about people and I really appreciate it. When I went to see my doctor 2 weeks ago he had me take a pain quiz to see what level of pain I am in. On the quiz I scored 60 out of 70, there was 7 questions in this quiz.

I promise you that I am being very careful with this medication. Everytime I get a new pain medication I show it to my wife right away that way she knows what I am taking. We also have an agreement that if I start to show the signs of addiction, I will tell her right away. My wife hates seeing me in pain and she says that she feels helpless. Sometimes it brings her to tears which makes me feel bad, I tell her all the time that it's not her fault. I always tell her that what gets me through the worst of my pain is how she loves me unconditionally and I love her unconditionally as well.

Each question you would have a choice from 1 to 10 for pain. The majority of the questions asked how does the pain affect my daily activities such as housework to going out with friends and family. Next month I'm going to start going swimming at a local hotel for exercise.

My doctor is happy that I found a place for me to go swimming at. This hotel is only a 5 minute drive from my apartment. The membership fees are $175 for 6 months and $300 for 1 year. I was reading that to get a membership at the YMCA for example costs $75.00 a month, thats $900 a year.

The closest YMCA is a 45 minute drive from where I live to a city called St. Catharines. My doctor didn't expect me to drive that far just to go swimming for an hour swim. Hopefully the swimming will help strengthen up my back muscles.

If I don't hear from you before Christmas comes around

have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Default Update!

I just wanted to let everyone know that thanks to my new pain medication hydromorph contin 12mg, I managed to get 6.5 hours of sleep last night. Thats the longest I have been able to sleep in a long time. When I woke up I was in no pain at all!! This medication is a god send to me. The other thing I like about my hydromorph contin is that when I take it, it doesn't make me feel like a zombie. I get the initial feeling of the narcotic after I take it, but after an hour it goes away and I can function very well without feeling dopey.

It sounds like you got dialed in good, that's great. How expensive is this? Cost more then OC?

Thankfully I have a good benefits plan through my disability pension. I was prescribed 60 capsules, they would have cost me $114.49. The 10mg OC costs about $62.12 for 60 pills. I am also on my wife's benefits package through her work place.

mdbtaa is offline New Member

Palladone was pulled by the FDA in July 2005 due to it's interactions with alcohol. However, there has been a 24-hour continuous release hydromorphone product available in the U.S. since 1984 called EXALGO (Mallinckrodt/Covidien AG). It is available in 8, 12, 16 and 32mg strengths, although I initially had some difficulty finding the newer 32mg strength. Pharmacies decline to do a stock check over the phone and want you to bring in your prescription. Now I get all prescriptions from the same pharmacy and they keep it in stock. Exalgo, like it's morphine cousins Avinza and Kadian, is supposed to be taken only once every 24 hours. However, Exalgo has never lasted more than 18-20 hrs for me and I ended up waking up at 2AM in pain. My doctor gave me Opana to take at bedtime. Now I sleep through the night with no breakthrough pain.

I started opioids in 1999 with 25mcg/hr Duragesic for HIV-related peripheral neuropathy but quickly escalated to 50mcg/hr, to 100mcg/hr. Then the patches kept falling off and the adhesive caused severe urticaria rash. After 4 months of Duragesic I transitioned to OxyContin and within another 4 months (and a MAJOR accident) I was taking #3 160mg + #3 80mg OxyContin per day (720mg per day). In 2004 the 160mg OxyContin was no longer available so I had to use #9 80mg OxyContin per day. I took that same dose for 12 years until it just wasn't enough. Due to my extensive medical/pharmaceutical knowledge I was given a choice by my doctor between Opana ER, Exalgo, MS Contin/Avinza/Kadian, methadone or I could withdraw partially and switch to Buprenorphine. I chose generic MS Contin @ 900mg per day. Recently the morphine just wasn't enough so I was switched to Exalgo. It works very well and I have little to no breakthrough pain. I take #8 32mg Exalgo every morning at 8AM and #1 30mg Opana ER at bedtime. For breakthrough pain I have the fentanyl lollipops but they are EXTREMELY strong even for someone with a massive tolerance like myself.

M

Skyler1 is offline Junior Member

I am just curious as to what are fentanyl lollipops, the reason i ask cuz my dad was on fentanyl patches for severe back scoliosis. I am glad you are doing ok with your pain meds being that i saw my dad suffer so much with that disease and my selt i have spinal stenosis i am always gonna have severe pain too.
    It is what it is!

Mari