How much Tylenol is to much?
    vegas_bad_boy is offline New Member

Exclamation How much Tylenol is to much?

I have currently been prescribed 5/500 hydrocodone and soma 250mg. I usually drink on a day to day basis if im not taking the soma. My question is how much of the acetimeniphan is too much? i usually take 4 tabs at one time. i dont take the soma until night time. I appreciate all input. Thank you!
    Last edited by vegas_bad_boy; 02-19-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling error

mitchigan is offline Member

Default How Much?

Hi Bad Boy,

Well, you won't like this answer. If you're going to consume alcohol the REAL clinical answer is NONE! I have had a lot of liver issues in the past, and tylenol + alcohol = NO GOOD! Hey, I know we've all walked on the edge and done this (me too!) but the fact is it could cause hepatic shut-down at any time. Very bad combo! But like I said we all walk on the edge. While all nsaids are not a good mix with alcohol (they all have warnings) if you HAVE to mix have your doctor shift you to a drug which uses ibruprofen as the analgesic compound (e.g. vicoprofen). This is metabilized by the kidneys, not the liver, and now you only have to worry about the damage it will do to your stomach. You could ask your doctor for a liver enzyme count and see how your liver's doing. Always a good idea when you've been mixing tylenol and alcohol. It's a pretty simple blood test!

vegas_bad_boy is offline New Member

Default How long

Well i usually take the 5/500 tabs in the day around noon and i drink around 5 or six does this matter i mean how long does the liver take to get rid of tylenol?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by vegas_bad_boy View Post
    Well i usually take the 5/500 tabs in the day around noon and i drink around 5 or six does this matter i mean how long does the liver take to get rid of tylenol?

The acetaminophen/tylenol from taking the hydrocodones at noon will not be gone from your system by happy hour. It lasts lots longer than that. The quantity and frequency of your consumption is obviously the concern here with this subject of alcohol/acetaminophen interaction. Having a drink occasionally would not be a huge deal but that doesn't sound like the case in your situation.

Please understand that I'm not judging you as I've heavily abused both alcohol and RX pain pills in my life too in years past. I haven't done it in a long time but I've certainly been there. Only you know how much you are drinking on a daily basis and you haven't said how many of the 5/500 hydrocodone you actually take each day.

In addition to the interaction with alcohol the amount of acetaminophen you're consuming taking four 5/500 hydrocodones is a toxic dose for your liver by itself with NO alcohol whatsoever. You're taking twice the toxic level of tylenol with each dose of four pills.

The amount of acetaminophen that constitutes a toxic dose is anything over 1000mg at a time (a single dose), and in addition consuming in excess of 4000mg of acetaminophen in a 24 hour period is toxic. So you should not take any more than two of the 5/500 hydrocodone at once and you shouldn't take any more than eight total in any 24 hour period. That is not even taking the alcohol into consideration.

Mixing alcoholic beverages along with high levels of hydrocodone regularly is obviously dangerous for your liver. In addition mixing that quantity of hydrocodone daily with "happy hour" levels of alcohol is extremely dangerous for your well-being in general. You're exposing yourself to all kinds of potential health problems some of which could be fatal.

I respectfully suggest that you make some major lifestyle changes immediately. I would put some serious consideration into getting involved in a 12 step recovery program as a minimum. If you won't do that then you need to talk to your dr about this. This behavior is not in your best interest at all. Good luck and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.