Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
help methadone is rotting my teeth
    tayler is offline New Member

Talking help methadone is rotting my teeth

iv been on methadone for 4 years iv come down from 170mg to 26 mg and back up to 55mg and my teeth are rotting out of my head is that normal.

Dave87666 is offline Member

Yes I have heard that people that go on methadone end up having teeth problems,and also end up gaining alot of weight...Since you're getting lower with your methadone,why not try switching to suboxone?You wont have these problems while on suboxone,and it appears to be a better route then methadone for opiates..I've been on subs for almost 5 months,and i am clean,and doing great!...Good luck!

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

What happens is methadone causes dry mouth as you don't produce enough saliva.The acids in your mouth are then able to attack the teeth causing the decay.I always tell people that first start to get their teeth cleaned and to make sure they always have a bottle of water around. The people that I know that do this don't have any problems at all.Also alot of doctors fail to tell patients that methadone can cause cravings for sweets.These should be avoided anyway but alot of people end up sitting around all day eating sweets and nodding out.Methadone patients have to be active or the sedating effects of methadone can take over.Also there are to many people on methadone that shouldn't be and they make it hard on the people that really need it..Good luck......Dave

EmpatheticSoul is offline New Member

IF you are having problems with your teeth then GO TO THE DENTIST! I see post after post about people complaining that their teeth are rotting but they never mention that they are seeing a dentist. I use methadone and I see the dentist every 6 months like clockwork and I have not had any problems.

dinosmom is offline New Member

Wink meth rotting teeth?

i've also been on methodone for four and a half yrs. at 165mgs.i hear people talking about meth rotting out your teeth but for me personally i don't believe its the methodone. I think its the 20 odd yrs of drug abuse thats rotted our teeth and we were too medicated to realise it. of course you check it now cause you'reon the path of normalcy.and as i said since being on the meth these four an' some years none of my teeth have given me any trouble ...so i will have to say NO.But i'm sure someone will beg to differ........

Dave87666 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dinosmom View Post
    i've also been on methodone for four and a half yrs. at 165mgs.i hear people talking about meth rotting out your teeth but for me personally i don't believe its the methodone. I think its the 20 odd yrs of drug abuse thats rotted our teeth and we were too medicated to realise it. of course you check it now cause you'reon the path of normalcy.and as i said since being on the meth these four an' some years none of my teeth have given me any trouble ...so i will have to say NO.But i'm sure someone will beg to differ........

No its true that methadone does rot the teeth...I say do as others have said,stay away from sweets(as much as possible of course),and brush/get your teeth cleaned more often then usual,and that should really help things out...

Also as far as what Dinosmom said about it just being our past drug use thats the culprit.I dont really believe in that because rotted teeth is more prone for people who smoke crystal meth,and crack NOT opiate users...

notanabuser is offline New Member

Default my tooth broke!

I have had my share of cavities, and HATE to go to the dentist, but when I went in a few weeks ago with acute pain, she said my teeth were fine...no cavities, some really DEEP pockets with plaque in them (yuk) that I will have to get cleaned....and then she proceeded to tell me that METHADONE causes people to produce a lot less saliva, which in turn can cause big probs with teeth. Hope that helps??? Don't quite know how to amp up the saliva (lol), but at least I am not going crazy when I look around at others I know on methadone and they look like they have severe nobru********************is.

steves55 is offline New Member

I have been doing drugs since 1972, had a few problems with my teeth over the years, in 1997 I was put on methadone, 120mg a day, in the last ten years I have lost over half of my teeth. I also have serious osteoporosis which the doctors have no explanation for, since I am only 52 and male. I have the spine of an 80 year old male. But I also had been doing opiates
    heavily from 1990, I was one of those unfortunate people who had a basic
    endless supply and did $400 a day for seven years without missing one day
    until I checked myself into a hospital and paid $7000 for a 5 day withdrawl
    program and then was put on methadone after falling off the wagon 48 hours later. I have been told that methadone will reside in your bones, but have not seen any medical articles on the subject, I also haven't bothered to search the internet. For me it is too late, if I was only on methadone for a short while I would definitely look into it. When I was at a clinic in the 90s that was one of the "facts" that most of the other patients believed to be the truth.

steves55 is offline New Member

Out of curiousity I searched for research posted on the internet, I only looked at one article, but it is a legit study, you can go to sciencedirect.com
    and read it. They did a medical study in Boston on bone density of methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) patients, which I have been one for ten years. I had my bone density done on my spine a year ago, it was scary, if you have ever seen an xray, how your bones are white against the black, that is what a bone density scan looks like, except when your bones have little density, they are very faint, my spine was at .3.7, it is so faint on the film it almost looks like part of it has disappeared. The study was on 92 MMT patients, they found that 76 of the 92, 83%, had bone density T-scores less than -2.5 which is in the osteoporosis range. They concluded that methadone patients should be warned of this and that they should take steps to prevent bone density loss. One treatment is to take drugs like Fosamax which my doctor put me on a year ago to stop the loss, another drug is the one the Sally Fields pushes on TV, I forget the name. But if you are going to continue to take methadone, I would definitely talk to a doctor about taking something to stop bone density loss. That is the same reason opiate addicts loss their teeth, you lose the density in your teeth and they crack easily when you bite down on something. That unfortunately happened to me a few times, but not until after years of opiate and methadone use, it might take ten years, which was what happened in my case, but it will happen if you use a lot for a long time. You may have only been on it for five years and don't see anything, believe me you have density damage already. You can't reverse the process and make it better, but the drugs can stop the process so you can save what you have.
    Last edited by steves55; 07-06-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

I think this is what Steves55 is referring to
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...44e7c5f9e6dcc4
    Does anyone have the full text of this study? I'm not about to pay the $30 SD charges.

DON3920 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by tayler View Post
    iv been on methadone for 4 years iv come down from 170mg to 26 mg and back up to 55mg and my teeth are rotting out of my head is that normal.
    TAYLER, METHADONE-IS KNOWN -TO ROT TEETH. YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK INTO -SUBOXONE. IT'S TRULY A MIRACLE DRUG--SAME USE INDICATED AS METHADONE- WITH MINIMAL SIDE EFFECTS TO ME.

jscottb is offline New Member

Default methadone and crystal meth = rotten teeth

I was on methadone for about two years until I was arrested and had to kick 150mg cold-turkey in the county jail. It was hell, needless to say. I did see a decline in my oral hygeine while on methadone and had a front tooth basically erode from the side as if it were dried clay. I was living a very hard lifestyle during this time. I was getting my methadone free from the San Francisco VA Hospital (because of my status as an honorably discharged veteran), but became addicted to methamphetamine while on methadone. Methadone, taken consistently on a maintenance level, really never gave me the opiate buzz that I've always loved. It also blocks other opiates from working while you are on it. A hand full of percocets may as well be just plain tylenol. So, I found my high with crystal meth. I was mainling and staying up for days at a time. When I would finally crash, I would usually miss my dose and feel like death until I could get back to the VA. And, yes, my nutritional intake was nothing but sweets and sodas. I've been off methadone and speed for about three years now, but I'm still struggling with painkillers. I've got a terrible back and eventually will have to have a spinal fusion at L4/L5. Like every addict I've ever known, I will find a way to lie to myself and rationalize my need for narcotics.
    aball33 likes this.

itsnogood4 is offline Junior Member

I had this problem with my Valuim, i had such dry mouth plus im a diabetic. There is some dental products out there that help put the so called "saliva" back in your mouth to help keep your mouth wet, I like Oasis its a spray you can find at a Pharmacy or Walmart. And then there is Biotene toothpaste and Mouthwash that works pretty good. I've lost many of my back teeth because of dry mouth and not paying attention and not knowing what was causing the problem.

k8tie k is offline New Member

Im detoxng from methadone, I started on July 2 and I was on 85mg it is now Aug 26th and Im down to 10 mg but I am struggling desperately. I have to get off of it because I am moving and I hate the sh*t anyway! It made me gain weight, crave sweets, sleep all my spare time away Ive been on it now almost 2 years and Im only 23, I had no idea what I was in for 2 of the best years of my life wasted! I just wish I wasnt so sick, any suggestions would be helpful.

You're coming down way to fast.Methadone detox takes time.The receptors in your brain need time to change back to normal.Also your not producing enough endorphins yet and thats another reason why you feel so lousy.
    Methadone detox should go like this----10% drop every four to six weeks especially when you get to 50mgs or less.
    If you can't stop the detox then start going for short walks in the am and again after supper.This helps promote endorphin production.Drink lots of gatorade or any other kind of sports drink.Tay away from energy drinks like red bull.
    Advil gel caps for aches and pains and imodium AD for stomach problems.
    Try and eat a high protien diet for at least 3 months after you stop the methadone.
    Good luck to you......Dave
    aball33 likes this.

Annalee is offline New Member

Smile Hi there Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    You're coming down way to fast.Methadone detox takes time.The receptors in your brain need time to change back to normal.Also your not producing enough endorphins yet and thats another reason why you feel so lousy.
    Methadone detox should go like this----10% drop every four to six weeks especially when you get to 50mgs or less.
    If you can't stop the detox then start going for short walks in the am and again after supper.This helps promote endorphin production.Drink lots of gatorade or any other kind of sports drink.Tay away from energy drinks like red bull.
    Advil gel caps for aches and pains and imodium AD for stomach problems.
    Try and eat a high protien diet for at least 3 months after you stop the methadone.
    Good luck to you......Dave
    Just wanted to say, I think you always give great advise! I have had puter problems for about 4 weeks, just got it back, thats why you haven't seen me around.
    About the teeth issue, I really wanted to say this........(also I am OFF methadone now) I do take good care of my teeth, although they are soft, and need attention every few months. BUT.......I did as you said, the water and all. Thing is with me,it was after a few months there, and when I was at the 30mgs a day, when the tooth paste hit my teeth and I mean all of them it was pure pain.........they were so sensitive at that point already, I went right out and bought sensydone, still use it too. I guess what I wanted to say is plain to others here, good teeth care, methadone caused pain in my teeth at only 30mgs. Just trying to help
    Dave I will talk to you later about the going off methadone for my pain, and what my plan is now see ya later. here or at the other place!

Hi Annalee: Looking forward to hearing your story and how your doing now.I'll be around, as you already know.See ya.........Dave

Default Hi Dave ......

Hi Annalee: Looking forward to hearing your story and how your doing now.I'll be around, as you already know.See ya.........Dave
    I was pretty sure you would have reply'ed when I logged on this morning
    I was right lol.........any way, methadone just made me feel really weird I know how great it is for so many , many folks, seems it was not for me.
    Fentanyl patch helped me much till I ran out of ins. doc now has me on the 10/325 vic's, 4 times a day, well they sure do NOT help with my pain all that much, and I do NOT want to become addicted to this stuff either, as I have that type personality!So as of right now I am waiting to hear back from a drug assist. program for the patch. and if they can help me, I will stick that back on my arm. I did have to change it every 48 hours , 3 days was too long to wait(yes, with doc's ok) Please wish me luck, and if you believe in prayer, I can use all the prayers I can get right now, I am in alot of pain, and I do need relief! Thanks so much Dave, you are such a helpful caring soul! And YOU my friend have helped so many, many people IMO!
    Try to have a great day

I hope you're able to get the patch as it is a great pain killer and very safe when used properly.I also agree with you on 48hr to change over.I don't know anyone who get 72 hours out of a fentanyl patch.Most doctor's know that after 48hrs the serum level begins to fall and it then takes a full day to get it back up while the patient is actually in pain all of one day out of 3.Good luck and let us know how your doing......Dave

Talking Morning Dave once again :D

I hope you're able to get the patch as it is a great pain killer and very safe when used properly.I also agree with you on 48hr to change over.I don't know anyone who get 72 hours out of a fentanyl patch.Most doctor's know that after 48hrs the serum level begins to fall and it then takes a full day to get it back up while the patient is actually in pain all of one day out of 3.Good luck and let us know how your doing......Dave
    So see, you know exactly where I am comming from, knew you would
    I will for sure keep you up to date, I sure hope to hear something very soon!
    Have a great day!

circa9870 is offline Junior Member

Also there are to many people on methadone that shouldn't be and they make it hard on the people that really need it..Good luck......Dave
    You are right about that I think. I try not to judge people and if people think that need help getting off drugs then they need help. It is just when I read about people who are getting off of vicoden with methadone it makes no sense to me. Methadone is so much more powerful than vicoden, and so much harder for people to quit, I have heard. I am not an addict. I have never been a drug user in my life. However I take methadone for pain, and I have taken vicoden for pain. I also try to educate myself extensively about this subject including the addiction aspect of it, and I know that a lot of people have a really hard time coming off of methadone because of its long withdrawals. I think that some of these people going from vicoden to methadone either dont know what they are getting into, or they think they can get higher from the methadone (which they might be able if the clinic accidentally dosed them too high because they are used to treating people with higher tolerances).

Yes I agree totally with you.This is why buprenorphene has been touted so much.Although buprenorphene is 40 times more powerful then morphine the doses are quite low compared to taking morphine.Methadone when used for addiction should be used when the addict has tried to quit cold turkey and or has been to rehab\detox at least once and has been chronically addicted for a minimum of 5 years.Those were the minimum requirements to start methadone at the clinic I started at 5+ years ago.Since then I have seen people with a tylenol#3 addiction on methadone and they're a mess.Hopefully we here in Canada will have buprenorphene available before years end.....Dave

circa9870 is offline Junior Member

People with a tylenol 3 addiction! WOW! I cannot believe they accepted them. I would imagine they would be a mess. I had been on dilaudid for 6 months before starting methadone for my pain and I was only on 15 mgs (of methadone) and I still was very very tired for the first 2-3 weeks of treatment. I cannot imagine the effects it would have on someone who had only been taking tylenol 3's. Do you know what dose they where on? or What they were they (other than a mess, I can definately imagine that).

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=mpvt;178014]What happens is methadone causes dry mouth as you don't produce enough saliva.The acids in your mouth are then able to attack the teeth causing the decay.I always tell people that first start to get their teeth cleaned and to make sure they always have a bottle of water around. The people that I know that do this don't have any problems at all.Also alot of doctors fail to tell patients that methadone can cause cravings for sweets.These should be avoided anyway but alot of people end up sitting around all day eating sweets and nodding out.Methadone patients have to be active or the sedating effects of methadone can take over.Also there are to many people on methadone that shouldn't be and they make it hard on the people that really need it..Good luck......Dave[/QUOTE

Methadone also made me crave sweets. I went from 87 lbs to 120lbs in 6 weeks, and did have to have one very rotted tooth pulled...please consult with your dr regarding an alternative. (To the original thread poster)

Mike VG is offline Senior Member

Default Rotting Teeth

Methadone does not rot teeth. However, Methamphetamine does very quickly. I've seen it happen to too many of my former friends. No disrespect or accusation intended. Abusing drugs just always eventually f***s up our lives in too many ways to count. Good luck in getting your teeth fixed, and God Bless in gettin it together.
    Mike VG

lindsie is offline New Member

Question

hey everybody,
    i just signed up for this because i have a question about my teeth...umm ok well i started using Vicodin and drinking heavily with my dad when i was 12 years old. By the time i was 13 i was taking a minimum of 30 Vidodin each day...then blah blah blah next thing i know im 17yrs. old waking up in a hotel bathtub after overdosing on >>>>>>, 72 hr. Fentynal patches i had sucked all the gel out of, and who knows how many xanax bars...i've tried 2 different rehab centers, and have failed multiple times trying to quit cold turkey...i now have been going to a methadone clinic (taking 135mg. a day) for almost 3 years and im only 21 years old. Ok theres my pathetic life story...ha..but heres my question... my teeth hurt ALL THE TIME...6 of them that i know of are like...im not sure how to explain it exactly..but they seem to be "rotting..??" from the top down...like starting up at my gums...they all hurt terribly though all the time...i cant drink anything colder than room temp. and everything i eat makes them hurt much worse than they already do...i had a peanut butter n jelly sandwich yesterday and i wanted to shoot myself...what the hell...i cant go to a dentist because of lack of INSURANCE! soooo...just wondering if this is normal, and what i can do to help....i've tried the tooth numbing stuff like Orasol, and Orajel with no success...anyone have any ideas?

lindsie is offline New Member

Question YO!

anyone going to reply to me??? .lol. and if someone does, how do i know that they have?? very confused...ha... help me please!!

MMT63 is offline New Member

Opiates do cause dental problems because of the drymouth. My teeth suffered bigtime from the oxys and morphine way before I started MMT.

MMT63 is offline New Member

Ya I had the same problem and unfortunately your gonna have to see a dentist somehow I ended up having to have 3 pulled. You wont get any relief It will just get worse if you dont get professional help. Sorry

amyhk73 is offline New Member

Decay is caused by acid attack on the teeth. Bacteria produce acids, this is the main cause of decay (other forms of acid are culprits too: stomach acid from vomiting or acid reflux, acids in soda pop, or citrus fruits - although these often cause errosion).
    Bacteria metabolize simple sugars best, so if you drink pop or eat high sugar foods, you'll have a greater and more frequent acid attack on the teeth. Bacteria that cause decay thrive in a dry environment, so if you have dry mouth, you have a greater risk for break down. Someone mentioned Biotene and Oasis products - which are both great for dry mouth. Any toothpaste with potassium nitrate (and fluoride) will help relieve sensitivity, however if there is active decay, you have to go get the teeth fixed, then work on preventing new decay. Chewing sugar free gum will help stimulate saliva production naturally, and look for Xylitol (in Trident and Orbit gum). This is a sugar substitute that will actually reduce the number of acid producing bacteria.
    Hope this info helps?!
    Blessings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast