Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
help methadone is rotting my teeth
    Missbarbra6 is offline New Member

Default my teeth are so bad now on methadone

I have been on methadone for 10 years and I have had 2 implants come out and my teeth are awful. I believe it is the bone loss but I am scared. I also have like an infection in my gums or more like in my bones in my teeth and it's terrible. I don't know what to do. How can I quit methadone? Isn't there something you can take that will help come off of it. I am the living dead. please please why won't someone help us? How long does it take to detox off of 90 milligrams of methadone?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Missbarbra6 View Post
    I have been on methadone for 10 years and I have had 2 implants come out and my teeth are awful. I believe it is the bone loss but I am scared. I also have like an infection in my gums or more like in my bones in my teeth and it's terrible. I don't know what to do. How can I quit methadone? Isn't there something you can take that will help come off of it. I am the living dead. please please why won't someone help us? How long does it take to detox off of 90 milligrams of methadone?

I wouldn't say that no one will help you. You've only been here for a few minutes. Don't know how much faster we can reply.

You DON'T want to stop methadone abruptly especially at 90 mg. You'll be sick for a month I promise you. It's dangerous as well.

You can titrate down at the rate of about 15-20% of your total dose and not any more often than every 2-3 weeks. The standard in the medical community is only about 10% every month but most people can handle a little more than that. You can taper all the way down to zero or else once you get to 30mg you can switch over to suboxone and I can help you with that. But you've got to get down to 30mg first.

Can't say much about the teeth at this point. Methadone users have got to take really good care of their mouth. Hydration is very important too. But sounds like yours has progressed quite a bit. I would taper down as I previously mentioned and when you get to 30mg I can help you with the subs. That will be easier for you than tapering down to zero on methadone. Hope that helps. Good luck and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Methastoner is offline New Member

Exclamation Going to the dentist

Quote Originally Posted by EmpatheticSoul View Post
    IF you are having problems with your teeth then GO TO THE DENTIST! I see post after post about people complaining that their teeth are rotting but they never mention that they are seeing a dentist. I use methadone and I see the dentist every 6 months like clockwork and I have not had any problems.
    It obviously would be stupid not to go to the dentist every 6 months but unfortanetly not every is like yourself and can afford a dentist as most people on methadone have financial difficulties. Its great that this method is working for you but people with much work needed to their teeth just don't have the kind of money to repair/clean their teeth. Sometimes people need to realize methadone impairs people to get a job with having to go get their dose every day.

Even for people that get a week worth of carries just don't have good enough paying jobs. It is a shame that the Methadone program don't utilize rewards for working methadone users as well as some sort of funding for dental work or even start doing preventave measures as soon as people start methadone. Don't judge people who have dental problems on methadone as 95% of those do.

Post Suboxone

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I wouldn't say that no one will help you. You've only been here for a few minutes. Don't know how much faster we can reply.

You DON'T want to stop methadone abruptly especially at 90 mg. You'll be sick for a month I promise you. It's dangerous as well.

You can titrate down at the rate of about 15-20% of your total dose and not any more often than every 2-3 weeks. The standard in the medical community is only about 10% every month but most people can handle a little more than that. You can taper all the way down to zero or else once you get to 30mg you can switch over to suboxone and I can help you with that. But you've got to get down to 30mg first.

Can't say much about the teeth at this point. Methadone users have got to take really good care of their mouth. Hydration is very important too. But sounds like yours has progressed quite a bit. I would taper down as I previously mentioned and when you get to 30mg I can help you with the subs. That will be easier for you than tapering down to zero on methadone. Hope that helps. Good luck and God bless.
    Tapering down to 30mg is sufficient to convert to a Suboxone treatment. The trouble is it is also combined with Naltexone which is an opiate antagonist to prevent people from getting high off of it. (the bad part being you'll need to possibly endure 1-2 days withdrawl before they start you on the suboxone because of the naltrexone complications) As for medical literature, bupronephrine(suboxone) is a much better opiate to withdrawl from. Most practitioners will prescribe the pill combined with naltrexone (suboxone) to prevent i.v. use which is great as most people in a moment of weakness would try snorting or i.v.ing the pill. It is actuall sublingual which means you put it under your tongue and kicks in fairly quickly, a little quicker than methadone.

Some Methadone prescribers will put patients back to morphine for up to a week before placing onto suboxone because of the complication of the naltrexone. If you are on a high dose of opiates the naltrexone will put you into withdrawl. So withdrawling from morphine is much quicker and easier to switch to the suboxone obviously. The amount of nal in the suboxone pills is very small. Not enough to put you in withdrawl once on daily doses.

Sorry for rambling but I definatly recommend giving it a try if tapering off of methadone doesn't work out. I would try methadone first for the sole reason of ease of b.s. dealing with your doctor, get down to as low as you can atleast. The lower the dose of Methadone the easier the switch to suboxone.

Personaly I've only met a few who have gotten off of methadone. One personaly asked to not be told what dose she was getting while on the taper. Once she was done they informed her the last two weeks she was only drinking juice with no methadone. Total placebo effect. I recommend that method to anyone tapering from 50mg on down as the mind has a way of making things harder than they actually are.

Anonymous Guest

Hi methastoner
    I have to agree with you on the mind part...it really is a mind game.
    I played mind tricks all the way thru my wd...
    It worked I'm still here...
    Talk to you later,Melinda

Robert_325 is offline Retired

methastoner .... good post. One thing I must correct you on however is that suboxone does NOT have any naltrexone in it. The drug you are thinking about is naloxone. Naltrexone is a totally different medication, it has nothing to do with suboxone. But good post other than that. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

pickles27 is offline New Member

i just want to say ur right but, when ur a drug addict for so long and all your money goes to drugs and u dont give a ******** about a job then how can u afford a dentist.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    methastoner .... good post. One thing I must correct you on however is that suboxone does NOT have any naltrexone in it. The drug you are thinking about is naloxone. Naltrexone is a totally different medication, it has nothing to do with suboxone. But good post other than that. God bless.
    Sorry, thank you for clearing my mistake I mixed up Naloxone with Naltroxone> I've read they are both opiate antoagonists. I found this information to help clear this up. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two drugs with the names suboxone and subutex.They are both buprenorphene the only difference being that suboxone has nalexone(sp) in it and subutex is strait buprenorphene.The only reason for the nalexone is to stop addicts from injecting it.If you inject suboxone you will go into withdrawls right away.0Both of these pills are taken sublingualy and the nalexone is not effective when taken this way.So as long as your not trying to shoot this stuff then they are both the same thing,buprenorphene.Get on this drug as fast as you can as you will be amazed at how well you will feel.Good luck.....Dave
    Last edited by Methastoner; 05-11-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Error in information

I totally agree with you. And some people dont understand that not everyone has a rich daddy to pay for the Dentist. The methadone Programs should be investing money in dental maintenance. Possible even have some sort of practictioner on site to clean your teeth when you go for your monthly doctors visit. I know this is a pipe dream but one day you just never know. People are getting on Methadone at 1000 fold rates after the Oxycontin craze and now there are a few of us on methadone who are forming an alliance to get funding for dental and lee-way for people who have jobs. I mean c'mon you cant go to the pharmacy everyday when you have a job. "hey boss, i'm a junky can i swing out for an hour and get my methadone? Sorry i cant finish the job here but i'm gettin sick"

The whole Methadone system need a total reform. And Dental should be a big part of it. Having nice teeth boosts your self confidence causing you to blend back into normal society. No decent person wants to live,work, or be with a person with 2 half rotten brown teeth left. (junky might as well be written on their forehead)

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Methastoner View Post
    I totally agree with you. And some people dont understand that not everyone has a rich daddy to pay for the Dentist. The methadone Programs should be investing money in dental maintenance. Possible even have some sort of practictioner on site to clean your teeth when you go for your monthly doctors visit. I know this is a pipe dream but one day you just never know. People are getting on Methadone at 1000 fold rates after the Oxycontin craze and now there are a few of us on methadone who are forming an alliance to get funding for dental and lee-way for people who have jobs. I mean c'mon you cant go to the pharmacy everyday when you have a job. "hey boss, i'm a junky can i swing out for an hour and get my methadone? Sorry i cant finish the job here but i'm gettin sick"

The whole Methadone system need a total reform. And Dental should be a big part of it. Having nice teeth boosts your self confidence causing you to blend back into normal society. No decent person wants to live,work, or be with a person with 2 half rotten brown teeth left. (junky might as well be written on their forehead)
    Hi methmaster
    I know some people have to stay on methadone for pain therapy...but why do you not just taper off the methadone if you can then you wont have to worry about your teeth...I really am not trying to be a smart a$$ I was addicted to oxycontin and I did a taper with vic's and was done with it...
    Talk to you later, Melinda

Cool Melinda

Melinda,

I'm just here to help people with my experiences. As to why or how long someones been on methadone isn't for me to go into. Everyone has differerent things happen to them in their life and conditions in their life that if they stop methadone they WILL relapse. Good for you on your success and you should contribute your experiences to help our fellow people taper/quit opiates when there ready and are here for help.

I don't know what I said that might have insulted you but i'm on a tapering dose. I also don't want to sound like I know it all I just want to get as much info to people crying for help. Also I want to empathize with people who have specific issues/problems to let them know there not alone.

I started on codeine when I was in my younger teens and moved to oxy later on. I learned how to kick those habits from time to time. Problem is the more times you relapse the harder it is to quit opiates. The withdrawl gets more agonizing. (kindling effect). So as an addict I once thought I was nothing and a loser I now spend my time trying to help people when they ask for it and empathize with people when there down.

stangangel22 is offline New Member

Default doctors prescrips? in getting off meth?

i am a meth user..i HATE IT, but cant seem to quit on my own. i did not know that doctors will prescribe medication to help you "kick" the habit?? am i understanding this correctly?
    please, any info on what i need to do would be greatly appreciated..

thank you
    did they REALLY help you? Are you TRULY off meth? ive NEVER once met someone who "used" to use..but is now "drug free" ., does it really happen?

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Methastoner View Post
    Melinda,

I'm just here to help people with my experiences. As to why or how long someones been on methadone isn't for me to go into. Everyone has differerent things happen to them in their life and conditions in their life that if they stop methadone they WILL relapse. Good for you on your success and you should contribute your experiences to help our fellow people taper/quit opiates when there ready and are here for help.

I don't know what I said that might have insulted you but i'm on a tapering dose. I also don't want to sound like I know it all I just want to get as much info to people crying for help. Also I want to empathize with people who have specific issues/problems to let them know there not alone.

I started on codeine when I was in my younger teens and moved to oxy later on. I learned how to kick those habits from time to time. Problem is the more times you relapse the harder it is to quit opiates. The withdrawl gets more agonizing. (kindling effect). So as an addict I once thought I was nothing and a loser I now spend my time trying to help people when they ask for it and empathize with people when there down.
    Methstoner
    That is why I said I'm not trying to be a smart a$$...I was asking you a question...you sounded like you had been on meth and I wanted to know why you did not taper off...If you were not in pain and your teeth were getting bad....I think it's great you are on a taper dose and you are trying to get clean...
    Thats it....You didn't insult me ...LOL
    Melinda

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stangangel22 View Post
    i am a meth user..i HATE IT, but cant seem to quit on my own. i did not know that doctors will prescribe medication to help you "kick" the habit?? am i understanding this correctly?

thank you
    did they REALLY help you? Are you TRULY off meth? ive NEVER once met someone who "used" to use..but is now "drug free" ., does it really happen?
    Hi stan
    There are some people on here that have tapered down and then switched to subs and then tapered off of them..

melinda

Smile hang in their

Quote Originally Posted by stangangel22 View Post

thank you
    Methadone is hard to get off of. Its a fully synthetic opiate compared to Oxy which is a Semi synthetic opiate. Morphine is a non synthetic opiate because it occurs naturally in poppies. The more synthetic, the harder to quit.

Yet it can be done. You can do a very slow detox of 1mg a month and you won't feel a thing until your down to about 30mg's which is about the strenghth they switch you to suboxone if requested by you.

Some say suboxone is better, I have heard otherwise. My suggestions is always try getting off methadone on its own no matter how slow but if it cannot be done try suboxone. I do agree tapering from methadone is HARD.

People who weren't sucked into the methadone program don't understand how physically addicting it is. Invest a year taper and you could be off for good. Don't get impatient, that will stuff up your taper and you'll give up.

Your talk to your doctor about your concerns about tapering. 1mg a month is not noticeable at all. even 1 mg every 2 weeks until your down to a lower dose. Then 1mg a month. I know people personally who have gotten off of methadone. At 50mg's they requested to be not told what dose there at during the rest of the taper. After taper was complete they were informed that the last 2 weeks of the taper they were drinking nothing but juice with no methadone. If theres a will there's a way. Stay away from benzodiazepines, they'll ruin your chances of ever getting off methadone.

If you are taking benzo's, taper off them first with 'valium' and no other benzo. valium has a very long half life making benzo withdrawl almost non existent. Good Luck and I know you can do it
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-07-2010 at 03:11 AM.

brezabeck is offline New Member

Unhappy Methodone rotting teeth

I had been on NEURONTIN for 1 year for chronic leg nerve pain from a back surgery. The drug neurontin rotted my teeth out completley. My dentist has noticed that everyone taking neurontin and other pain drugs have this symptom. I am also on Oxycotin and Endocet. I am trying to get a lawyer for this since Pfizer has acknowledged they were wrong and the 50 million dollar law suit is being fullfilled. I'm having trouble with lawyers not wanting to do this because there is no reliable source stating that these drugs rot teeth. I know how frustrated you are. I have spent over $60,000 the last 4 years to get my teeth fixed and everytime I do, they rot again. I am at the point of having to have each one pulled and get dentures because of it.
    I totally feel for you and everyone else who is having this problem. I don't think too many people realize that these drugs can rot your teeth. If more people let the manufactureres know, maybe something could be done.
    Last edited by brezabeck; 05-20-2009 at 10:26 AM.

dipsosgirl is offline New Member

Talking it is not a myth

I went almost my whole life without a cavity. i went on and off methadone for 8 years but never more than a year at a time, and then on only 30mg.
    I got on methadone 4 years ago 120mg. i go to the dentist about once a year. i had a cleaning, got a filling, and a year later i needed 6 root canals, 6. I have had up until then maybe 4 cavities my whole 29 years and in one year 6 teeth were rotted to the root. then began the breaking. Once it was overcooked popcorn, Pizza the next time, now i have two teeth broken to the gum, one pulled and one cracked, waiting to break. I dont eat sweets, in fact i eat very healthy, I may not brush 3 times a day, but i do brush at night, in the morning and now i chew gum pretty often. ONe day i did a class to learn to save someone in an od. and they gave us narcane, the doctor confirmed that what i was experiencing was because of methadone, not only because of saliva production, but it blocks calcium from being absorbed into the bones, making them brittle. She said she would give me a prescription to help but i forgot and then she was busy so i thought >> return later, ofcourse i didnt. my teeth are worsening. im in my 20s and im losing my teeth. And to top it off i lost my dental insurance. So i brush. >> switch to saboxin but methadone is free for me, and i cant afford the other. yesterday another peice of tooth broke. I swore i will kick this methadone. even if i have to switch back to dope to do it. I am too young for my body to fall apart. who will hire me when my teeth are rotten, who will date me.

mareke is offline Junior Member

Use sugar free gum to stimulate saliva flow. Buy a high fluoride content toothpaste. I use one called NeutraFluor 5000 Plus made by Colgate. You have to ask for it at a chemist because they keep it behind the counter and you must rinse properly after using it and not swallow any of it. Buy a sodium bi-carbonate solution to neutralise the acid in your mouth.

EricaMarie is offline Member

I've been on methadone for 3 years now and one thing i can suggest is if you can purchase "Citracal" vitamins. It's calcium citrate with vitamin D. Make sure it's PLUS magnesium. These are incredible with helping your teeth problems and i find a cheap, great prevenative measure. You get them anywhere, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, anywhere like that. Just remember CITRACAL Plus Magnesium. Hope this helps.

Anonymous Guest

Talking its the lack of saliva that rots the teeth, not methadone

ive been on opiates for years, methadone more recently last 10 then subs for the last 5 months.
    its not the methadone that rots your teeth, so i was told, its the fact that on opiates we dont have as much saliva running round our mouths as a side effect is dry mucous membranes and such, we get more problems.
    so its getting the liquid back in. that chewing gum sounds good., they actually advise people on the program here to chew gum, to keep the saliva flowing. my teeth are stuffed, but its also all the sweet stuff you crave while on methadone as well.
    good luck to anyone with teeth issues. im at the stage the last 14 teeth in my mouth are gonna get ripped and im getting falsies.
    oh i am a working person., even being on a methadone program for 10 years, and many money issues. my teeth are now very important and im gonna get new ones.
    clean new life, nice new teeth.
    bring it on world.
    cheeky

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Methadone does NOT rot your teeth out nor does it reside in your bones. My bone density tests are always fine after years taking methadone. As far as teeth, here is a cut and paste from an medical article about myths and facts concerning methadone:
    Myth: Methadone rots your teeth and bones.
    Reality: This is a common myth, and although it’s not true, the reasons behind the myth deserve some consideration.
    One of the side-effects of methadone, like many medications, is that it gives you a dry mouth. This can make your teeth more prone to the production of plaque, which is a major cause of gum disease and tooth decay. To protect your teeth, follow the dental routine recommended for everyone: brush and floss every day, rinse your mouth with mouthwash, go to the dentist at least twice a year, and cut sugar from your diet. Drinking plenty of water can also help to relieve dry mouth.
    If you’re on methadone, and you feel like your bones are rotting, it’s probably because you’re on too low a dose. Bone ache, which may feel like bone “rot,” is a symptom of methadone withdrawal. When your dose is adjusted correctly you should not experience any aching or other symptoms of withdrawal.

Anonymous Guest

Default Methadone does NOT rot Teeth

Methadone does NOT rot your teeth. It is the years of drug abuse and lack of personal hygiene during that time that causes that. Methadone rotting teeth is NOT TRUE. It does lower the ampunt of saliva your mouth produces though.

Methadone DOES get into your bone marrow, which is why it is the hardest opiate to get off of. W/D can take WEEKS and is horrendous.

These are facts, look them up if you'd like. But no evidence that is rots teeth.

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Fact: People on methadone long term usually loose their teeth. If "A" is the cause of "B" - "A" is the culprit.

Simple hydration is not enough, there's nothing like good old saliva with all its enzymes continuously washing the teeth to help prevent tooth decay.

MSt
    MSt is offline New Member

Default Meth and Teeth

Methadone has a catabolic affect on calcium. That's why many long-term meth users end up with tooth and/or bone density problems.
    However, I've been on 130mg/day for 4 years and with proper care (brush minimum 2x day, dental care etc...) I have absolutely NO problems with my teeth.
    Some of that may be genetic, as my father who is in his 60's has never had a cavity, but calcium supplements and intense care are defense line #1. Also, talk to your clinic doctor about this, your dentist too if you go to one (if not, start if you can).
    DO IT NOW OR YOUR BONES ARE NEXT.

SouthPawHook is offline New Member

Yeah, join the club. They try hard to convince me at my methadone place that it "DOES NOT" cause tooth decay or loss. But in the 3 yrs. I've been on the medicine, I have had the most tooth problems since; I have ever had. I never lost a tooth before I started. I've since lost 5 teeth! You tell me if Methadone doesn't cause tooth problems?
    Last edited by SouthPawHook; 01-05-2010 at 09:00 PM.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

You can go online and get definitive studies on both sides of this issue. Some say meth does not rot your teeth, some say it does. >>>>>> addicts get rotten teeth also, usually from lack of oral hygiene. You just need to take extra good care of your mouth while on methadone. As far as bone lose, I was on methadone for 33 years and my last bone density test was fine, as they have been all along so I don't know. I believe teh "meth gets into your bones" theory that everyone on methadone espouses is not really true. You have to have healthy habits, take calcium, chew sugarless gum... If you had to get on methadone, there was a reason so weigh the pros and cons for yourself personally.

Destglo is offline New Member

Question Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by Dave87666 View Post
    Yes I have heard that people that go on methadone end up having teeth problems,and also end up gaining alot of weight...Since you're getting lower with your methadone,why not try switching to suboxone?You wont have these problems while on suboxone,and it appears to be a better route then methadone for opiates..I've been on subs for almost 5 months,and i am clean,and doing great!...Good luck!

First things first, CONGRATS on being clean! I personally know & have been through addiction from opiates myself for 10 years & have been clean for 1 year, 2 months & a few days... anyway just wanted to ask a little about suboxone. I hear rumors all the time at my clinic in Indiana about how suboxone is just horrible & makes you withdrawl 10x's faster & with more pain if you don't use if properly. Well, obviously I'm sure you used it properly or you wouldn't be clean. But I've also heard it's a short-term drug, that it's only supposed to be used within a weeks basis? I'm just asking, to further my own education, ya know?
    And as far as methadone rotting your teeth, I'm not sure what to think? My methadone clinic (the nurses, counselors..etc) they all say that it DOESN'T mess with your teeth at all. Even my dentist said the same. They both agreed that it was the sweets that I eat with my sugar cravings I get from the methadone, well I knew that, but it seemed like my teeth were just rotting so fast & I wanted to save what I could while I can. And once again I was told that it wasn't the methadone, that it was the combination of my years & years of doing >>>>>> & eating sweets that had done the damage & I was at a point of not return? So now I'm still on Methadone, but soon to be placed on a blind detox. It just seems like the clinic & my dentist could get in severe trouble for lying to me about the methadone not hurting my teeth?
    Has anyone heard anything like this?

Thanks,

Dest

Methadone is an opioid, which you're right is a sythetic opiate.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-07-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Missbarbra6 View Post
    I'm at 130mg a day at my methadone clinic, have been there a year, obviously I was a horrible drug user, but now I'm clean & living an actual life w/ friends, family, job, & most of all trust from others! I'm going to start my blind detox soon, I asked them to take me down 1mg a month... no more. that's the only way I won't notice the sickness from it. I'm scared too, but just know you CAN do it w/ a good sponsor, friends, & family. Keep asking around, do what YOU think would be good for YOU. Only you know what you can do, ya know? Don't go down too fast either, or you will fail. Trust me, I've seen it too many times. Keep us updated, k? Good luck!!!

Anonymous Guest

i reckon its a combination of both. cravin the sugar while on methadone, and the methadone itself.

hey, you should be able to handle drops of 5mgs at a go while you are up on the 120 mark.

know what you mean tho, its scary, and if you are not ready you will go back. i counted off methadone in 01, right to zero, unfortunately i was usin morphine at the same time. then i went to another country, and hung out like crazy. not a good thing.
    ended up back on it before long, another long habit.

i been on subs now since july 09, yeh some people say its only a short term thing, im on a low dose now, .5mg, but its sure stopped me from using iv drugs and probably saved my life.

hope it goes ok for ya
    cheeky

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast