Having surgery need to know which medications may thin blood
    chyke229 is offline New Member

Smile Having surgery need to know which medications may thin blood

I am having surgery at the end of the month. My doctor advised me to stop taking any aspirin related or potentially blood thinning medications.
    I know that I will have to stop taking Lodine. But I am unsure about some others- Ultram, Celebrex, and Lyrica. Please provide info on the potential of these being anti-coagulants. Thank you

Cats Meow is offline Banned

You definitely want to stop the Lodine, you need to ask your doctor about the Ultram, that one is a possibility, I think you're okay with the Celebrex and Lyrica, but ask just to be safe.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    You definitely want to stop the Lodine, you need to ask your doctor about the Ultram, that one is a possibility, I think you're okay with the Celebrex and Lyrica, but ask just to be safe.

I have three autoimmune illnesses ... RA, Raynaud's Phenomenon, and APS. I am on anticoagulant therapy for two of these. I have had two blood clots. I have to take all the above meds except the Ultram. The Celebrex and Lyrica won't have any effect on the surgery. Some drs tell you to stop meds anyway though. Definitely no aspirin or Lodine. I never saw the Ultram do anything good anyway ... just me.

chyke229 is offline New Member

Wink

Thanks for the replies. I have autoimmune inner ear disease (Meniere's) the only medication I take for that is the Dyazide. Most of the others are for injuries sustained from a motor vehicle accident. I just started all of them within the last month so we will see how effective they are. I will probably just stop all of them except the dyazide and protonix before the surgery to be on the safe side.