Have I been Red Flagged for narcotic Medications
    ZombieAssassin is offline New Member

Question Have I been Red Flagged for narcotic Medications

I went to go see my Dr. yesterday because I have had a nagging cough for a few days now and I've been to see him maybe 3 times over the past 9 month's or so (he is not my PCP). Any how I go and he checks me out and as he's getting ready to prescribe me something he pulls out this sheet and says he can't prescribe me anything with a narcotic in it. He went to go on and say "well you've been prescribed this by this Dr. and this by this Dr. and so on". I'm not exactly sure but I believe he said that it had something to do with my insurance company...is that possible that my insurance company can step in and go hey this guy has been getting prescribed a lot of narcotic meds the last few months so they could have me red flagged or something to that effect?

To give you some history I've went back and printed out all my prescriptions that I've had filled over the last couple of years and all the Dr's. I've been to see.

My pcp is fine and I have no problem with him. He is located in Burbank California, where I use to live. I'm not someone who is in pain or needs to be on pain pills 24/7 or anything like that. The most I'd get prescribed from my pcp is tussionex when ever I was sick and had a bad cough (maybe twice a year even if that). I sprained my wrist and he put me on 5/500mg vicodin for about a month back in 5/09.

I moved to Simi Valley which is about a 30min drive to burbank so I started to go to an urgent care out in Simi sometimes If I didn't feel like driving all the way out to burbank. During the summer of 09 I had a bit of bad luck, I hurt both my wrists and severely sprained my ankle and I was having bad allergies.

During that time I saw a few different Dr's. but mainly to get a second opinion. So through that course of time I was prescribed vicodin or tussionex, never in large amounts or never with any refills. During that time there were 4 different Dr's. I saw, 2 of which I only saw once for a second opinion. (I thaught I might add that during that time I wouldn't use the same pharmacy, not because I was scared to use the same one, it was out of convenience. After all there is a cvs pharmacy just about on every corner down here and california, so if there was a cvs close to what ever Dr. I was seeing I would just go to that one.

Then I moved to sylmar (first time home buyer) and on 10/08/09 I was working in my garage and grabed a tool box off a shelf and the handle broke, the tool box landed on my other hand and crushed it and fractured my radius in my arm. So I go to ER get X-rays, it's fractured hetells me to go see and othopedist and gives me a script for 30 10/325mg norco's the next day I go to the ortho and it was to swollen to put a cast on so he said come back in a week. I told him what the ER Dr prescribed me so he wrote mea script for 60 10/325mg norco's with 1 refill (enough for a 20 day supply). Came back a week later, they put me in a cast for 6 weeks nowduring the months of october, november, and december. I got very sick (still in cast at least until about thanksgiving) any how my pcp ordered a CAT scan of my sinus region and had me tussionex (with refills) and antibiotics and he knew that I was on the norco's. sense my wirst was hurting me so bad my ortho Dr. gave me a total of 3 more scripts all with 1 refill on them. The first one was for 40 pills with 1 refill and the last 2 have been for 60 with 1 refill and the last one I haven't even filled yet. The thing is I'm not a big pill popper and I still have about 150 norco's left.

Lately my job has been slowing down and I've been have some anxiety issues so I went to see my girlfriends Dr. who has her on effexor, I tried bring it up with my pcp but he just blew me off. So he gave me a script for 30 10mg valiums to take 3 times a day (so a 10 day supply) he told me he didn't want to see me if I already had a pcp but told me to think about it and if I wanted to see him I could. on the 12/14/09 I went to go see my pcp and told him that I went to see another DR and showed him what he prescribed me, my pcp decided to help me out so I'm staying with him. The next couple of days is when I started to get a bad cough, and I tried to go see my pcp but he was booked up until monday and there was no way I was going to wait until then. So this brings us till now. As far as going to see other Dr's. it's not do to the fact that I'm shopping for Dr's it's that the time if I'm sick or it's an emergency I can never get into see my pcp he's always too busy. You have to call like a week in advance to get into see him, it's ridiculos.

Questions I have:
    1) Have I been Red Flagged?
    2) If I have is this something that will haunt me for the rest of my life or go away after time?
    3) Is there anything I can do about it?
    4) The Dr. I saw with the list said that they just needed to check with all the Dr's on the list and make sure that what was prescribed to me was correct, so if that is the case(which I never altered any scripts) should this all blow over ?
    5) Could my own insurance company be the ones behind all of this?
    6) And if not would it more likely be a pharmacy or a doctor?
    7) I mentioned that I still had a script from my ortho that hasn't been filled yet, so is that something I shouldn't even bother trying to get filled cause I don't want to go to the pharmacy and have them look at me like I'm some kind of freak for getting a legit script filled?

Just so you know I never got any of my scripts filled early our tried to fill them early for that matter. When ever I saw my pcp I always tried to keep him informed about who I'd seen other than him and what I had been prescribed.

Sorry it took so long to write all that ******** I'm just a little worried about the whole situation. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ZombieAssassin; 12-18-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

The drs, pharmacies and insurance companies all communicate with one another due to DEA regulations. You need to contact your insurance company and make them understand the situation so they will straighten out the situation.

If you start seeing multiple drs for narcotic medications YES you will be red-flagged as a drug seeker whether it's accurate or not. That's why I'm suggesting you go to them and get it straightened out now. It will save you lots of trouble in the future. And you need to stick with one dr or you'll deal with this sort of thing from now on, especially since you've likely already been flagged.

You don't go to multiple drs for narcotics in this day and time. There are just too many regulations (and drug seekers/dr shoppers) and no dr in his right mind is going to jeopardize their ability to work by writing you scripts for narcotic meds when they've been told not to do so.

Let us know how it works out for you. But don't blow it off, get it taken care of. You don't want that on your medical records chasing you around. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thanks I'll Definitely be looking into that. I'll probably have to wait until monday to call but that will be number one on my priority list. Thank you for your reply.

I called my insurance company and they had no idea what I was talking about and said everything is fine. Sense then I've been to see my pcp and my ortho and neither one of them mentioned anything to that effect, so it was just the DR. I was dealing with I guess. It just had me kind of worried so turns out everything is ok.

Psychmajor is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieAssassin View Post
    I called my insurance company and they had no idea what I was talking about and said everything is fine. Sense then I've been to see my pcp and my ortho and neither one of them mentioned anything to that effect, so it was just the DR. I was dealing with I guess. It just had me kind of worried so turns out everything is ok.
    maybe the doc had the wrong file? heh glad everything worked out but as stated by robert try and limit the amount of different doctors your seeing unless its something like the emergancy care docs, your out of town, or something. it makes life alot easier for yourself (if your PCP isnt available try and stay within that building for doctors)

leopardgecko is offline New Member

Exclamation Reply to the zombie assassin

This is in response to your post about your doctor red flagging you for your Norco and your cough medicine. I was wondering first of all, WHY would you need second opinions for a cough and a sprained ankle/hurt arm? Secondly... why do you seem to get so much cough medicine? It must be the cough medicine with the narcotic in it if they are flagging you.