Fioricet
    IhateAddiction is offline New Member

Default Fioricet

Hi

I have been a migraine sufferer for over 20 years. Roughly 5 years ago I was put on Imitrex and it did work well at first, but then it stopped working for me altogether. About 3 to 4 years ago my Dr. at that time prescribed me Fioricet on a regular basis. I didn't know that this drug was addictive since I was told at that time it wasnt.
    about 8 months after taking it on a daily basis, I became severly depressed and was put in a hospital for depression. I saw a neurologist while I was there and when he heard the word fioricet and how much I had been taking, he immediately put me on 1000mg of Depakote and he started a taper plan which I did at home. I followed his plan by the book and was off that drug in 6 weeks.And to be honest I had no Mental cravings at all. I was kept on the 1000mg of depakote even after I was off, well I was feeling so good after a few months I weened myself off the depakote.BIG MISTAKE. The headaches returned within a week and all I could think about was the Fioricet. My insurance had changed so I had to change primnary Dr's.
    The new Dr. is very cautious with the fioricet, only dispensing 60 a month and that worked fine for the first few months, but then I would take them for every reason in the book and I still do.At my highest I was taking 20 Fioricet a day, knowing I had become addicted to them again, I tried my own taper plan but could never get below 6 a day, next thing I know I am back up to 10 to 12 a day, and I think some stressful days more than that. Online pharmacies is where I got my supply until my prescription with the Dr. was 30 days since last refill and I could get another refill. It has turned into a vicious cycle. It no longer helps Migraines or tension headaches, it causes them and I know they are rebound headaches. I finally fessed up to my Dr. about my addiction to fioricet and asked if she could do a medical detox for me. She didn't want to do it and has prescribed me to a Pysciatrist who I will see on Monday. She says they have a lot more experience at that. I know the dangers of coming off Fioricet as I have researched it and have a good friend who recently went through Medical detox and is doing wonderfully. I hit Rock bottom about 5 months ago but at the same time I am scared to death of seizures and other unpleasant side effects while coming off the horrible Medicine. I have to do it as an outpatient as my insurance doesn't cover detox of any kind. I did it as an outpatient last time, I am sure I can do it again. Has anyone had experience with Fioricet addiction and has come off it with a Pysciatrist's help or any other Dr.? Another reason I have to do it as an outpatient is I am now a single Mom and have a 10 year old and 8 year old son to take care of, I don't have anyone else to do it. Like I said before my biggest fear is seizure's, although I have never had one before, I would like to keep it that way. I will deal with the rebound headache's although they are the worst headaches I have ever felt, I do know they pass. Please if anyone has been through anything like this, I would like to know how your experience was. Thank you!!

Oshkosh is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by IhateAddiction

Hi

I have been a migraine sufferer for over 20 years. Roughly 5 years ago I was put on Imitrex and it did work well at first, but then it stopped working for me altogether. About 3 to 4 years ago my Dr. at that time prescribed me Fioricet on a regular basis. I didn't know that this drug was addictive since I was told at that time it wasnt.
    about 8 months after taking it on a daily basis, I became severly depressed and was put in a hospital for depression. I saw a neurologist while I was there and when he heard the word fioricet and how much I had been taking, he immediately put me on 1000mg of Depakote and he started a taper plan which I did at home. I followed his plan by the book and was off that drug in 6 weeks.And to be honest I had no Mental cravings at all. I was kept on the 1000mg of depakote even after I was off, well I was feeling so good after a few months I weened myself off the depakote.BIG MISTAKE. The headaches returned within a week and all I could think about was the Fioricet. My insurance had changed so I had to change primnary Dr's.
    The new Dr. is very cautious with the fioricet, only dispensing 60 a month and that worked fine for the first few months, but then I would take them for every reason in the book and I still do.At my highest I was taking 20 Fioricet a day, knowing I had become addicted to them again, I tried my own taper plan but could never get below 6 a day, next thing I know I am back up to 10 to 12 a day, and I think some stressful days more than that. Online pharmacies is where I got my supply until my prescription with the Dr. was 30 days since last refill and I could get another refill. It has turned into a vicious cycle. It no longer helps Migraines or tension headaches, it causes them and I know they are rebound headaches. I finally fessed up to my Dr. about my addiction to fioricet and asked if she could do a medical detox for me. She didn't want to do it and has prescribed me to a Pysciatrist who I will see on Monday. She says they have a lot more experience at that. I know the dangers of coming off Fioricet as I have researched it and have a good friend who recently went through Medical detox and is doing wonderfully. I hit Rock bottom about 5 months ago but at the same time I am scared to death of seizures and other unpleasant side effects while coming off the horrible Medicine. I have to do it as an outpatient as my insurance doesn't cover detox of any kind. I did it as an outpatient last time, I am sure I can do it again. Has anyone had experience with Fioricet addiction and has come off it with a Pysciatrist's help or any other Dr.? Another reason I have to do it as an outpatient is I am now a single Mom and have a 10 year old and 8 year old son to take care of, I don't have anyone else to do it. Like I said before my biggest fear is seizure's, although I have never had one before, I would like to keep it that way. I will deal with the rebound headache's although they are the worst headaches I have ever felt, I do know they pass. Please if anyone has been through anything like this, I would like to know how your experience was. Thank you!!

Oshkosh is offline New Member

hello, i am so happy to have found others who are addicted to this horrible drug. i feel so alone and like nobody understands what i am going through. my doctor is trying to taper me off, but it is not working. any advice?

kellrx is offline Member

If you can't get into a detox program or can't afford it, perhaps your doctor or psychiatrist can help you get off of them in a different way. One thing that crossed my mind is switching to another pain medication and then weening off of that. Unfortunately anything strong enough to get rid of the headaches and rebound headaches may be addicting as well. But if your doctor starts you on migraine prevention meds, like propranolol or others used similarly, you can perhaps get yourself off of them this way. I know it sounds awful, and if you have a fear of addiction to other pain meds, this may not be your solution. Speak with a doctor or psychiatrist about all of your options and try anything they suggest. Also, try calling around to drug rehab places or mental phacilities in your area and see if they have hotlines or programs. Also try calling your local Alcoholics Anonymus and see if they have any ideas. Good luck, and post any progress or losses, I'd be interested in hearing how you all are doing.

kim glunz is offline New Member

Talking Getting Off Fioricett

HI

I don't know how old the post I'm replying to is, but had to tell whoever it is, that I can relate 100%. When I got a bleeding ulcer from taking too much aspirin many years ago, I was given Fioricett as a way to get rid of sinus/tension headaches. I was given them by the truckloads because, as you said, they weren't seen as addicting. Also, I don't think many people have had the trouble with them that we have but only because either they didn't like the pill or their doctor didn't. I have been addicted to this pill for 20+ years. I've been to a treatment center in Minnesota (Hazelden) twice, and several smaller facilities over the years. In the course of my treatment travels, I have only met one person who was addicted to Fioricett in treatment. So I was glad to hear I'm not alone when I ready your email.

I will get off them for a while, but it never is over a year before I'm back on them. I just don't know of another headache medicine that works as well, if only temporarily. Right now, I am looking at getting off them again because, they are depressants, and my husband died and I'm depressed enough. I am going to see a neurologist tomorrow to see if he will detox me, but I know they don't like to do that.

But today I'm out of them, and I know I'm headed for some pretty rough days ahead if he won't help me. As you say, lots of horrible headaches, and the last time I withdrew cold-turkey, I vomitted violently and at one point I thought I was seeing something out of the corner of my eye. It really is a terrible drug and my body just doesn't bounce back the way it used to. But I don't seem to get it through my thick skull that this is not the way to go, because it ALWYS gives back worse than it helped.

I pray there is a deliverance for both of us ahead from Fioricett.

Let's keeping hanging in....God is mighty to save!
    kim

LadyFuzzy is offline New Member

Hi,

I have been living with migraines since I was 15 and I am 28 now. I never thought to see a doctor for this but this Thanksgiving was the worst because by that point I had a migraine for about 2 days. My mother encouraged me to get seen since it was revealed that she suffers from them too. Anyhow, I was just prescribed Fioricet today and after reading some of the withdrawal symptoms I worry about what I am getting into. I am allergic to Tylenol 3(codeine) and anything that alters my serotonin levels (i.e. Paxel) which most preventive migraine meds utilize. I was wondering if anyone here knows of other meds that I can take for the pain. What are my options since I am allergic to most of the stuff that is used for treating migraines. Fioricet feels very weak to me, I still have pain but its kind of a constant "background" irritation, but at least it is manageable, and I am greatful.

I worry about the withdrawal symptoms especially possible seizures since I have had at least 2 in my lifetime and the Doc didn't ask me about a history of it nor did I think to share it.

Any advice would be great.

Parkerlady is offline New Member

Smile Fioricet/headaches all my life

I have had headaches since the age of 12 all my life and I am 66. The only relief was to take a cocktail of Fiorinol and codeine and tylenol which I got in England and Canada or Bermuda. I participated in all the top doctor's trials at the NE Headache Clinic in Stamford, CT in my 30s and 40's.

Finally I went to the headache clinic here in Chapel Hill, NC and tried Imitrex and Topomax and Imitrex. I only take a half a dose of Imitrex occasionally but it works and it is part of the sumitriptan family. You have to be under doctor's care but it is affective. Now I take Topomax every night at bedtime; Dalmane for a sleeping pill so I can get into a deep sleep because I will wake up at 4 am with a headache and take a Fiorinol about three nights a week. Now I take Fioricet because I am on a blood thinner and cannot take aspirin. But I can actually be headache free and this never happened before in my entire life. I highly recommend going to the best doctor in your area. Janet
    Last edited by Parkerlady; 12-05-2009 at 08:51 PM.

negatibe is offline New Member

Arrow Just got Fioricet from my doctor today...

Hello.
    I've been looking for any good information about this medicine.
    I guess this is particularly in regards to Lady Fuzzy's comment....in case I'm not TOO late.
    I just got prescribed Fioricet today.
    I've been taking migraine rx's since I was 17, I'm now 22 -- so, not a long history. They first tried me on Imitrex, that did NOTHING. So, next I got Midrin...and I've stuck with that ever since. It has been the greatest in my opinion. Unfortunately it knocks me out, so I can only take it when I have the ability to withdraw from "normal" life....or when the pain is too bad and I HAVE to.
    Anyway...being Sunday, my pharmacy was closed (and my headache was terrible, so I just wanted to get home and not make an extra stop) so I just got my prescription filled at the doctor's office.
    The only way I could tell that the Fioricet had "kicked in" was the "dry mouth" symptom....otherwise, it did VERY little to even dull the ache. I took 2 more, 4 hours later....still not much relief.
    I've taken one more pill (putting me at 5 pills) in 8.5 hours (UGH) and the ache seems to be mostly dulled - though still radiating down my neck/shoulders. ((My migraines are not caused by any damage, the neck/shoulder pain is just a common symptom of my migraines, among other things.))
    The pain has certain been lessened by the Fioricet, but I'm with you Lady Fuzzy...it's NOT by any means as effective as I would have hoped. Ugh.

It's unfortunate that so many other people have been able to get relief from this medicine, but with the unfair trade off with addiction and then withdrawl.
    My thoughts and sympathy go out to you all. Though....thank you all for being willing to post your experience as a warning to the rest of us. I know my doctor did not mention that to me -- which is surprising, seeing as it was supposed to be a "temporary" thing. I'd be upset if it worked well for me and I swapped to it (not knowing it's capabilities).

Enough about me. This discussion was just very informative, despite only having a few posts.

Lady Fuzzy, I know you mentioned being allergic to many migraine prescriptions -- but because I was prescribed Fioricet since it's apparently "similar" to Midrin, maybe that'd be a decent one to check out with your doctor (if you haven't already).
    I also had a friend tell me about some migraine medicine that's a shot? You have to go to the doctor each time you want to get it....so that might be a pain, but maybe something else to check out.

Good luck to everyone! Maybe one day we'll be migraine free (probably the day money starts growing on trees).

migrainesuf1166 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kim glunz View Post
    HI

I don't know how old the post I'm replying to is, but had to tell whoever it is, that I can relate 100%. When I got a bleeding ulcer from taking too much aspirin many years ago, I was given Fioricett as a way to get rid of sinus/tension headaches. I was given them by the truckloads because, as you said, they weren't seen as addicting. Also, I don't think many people have had the trouble with them that we have but only because either they didn't like the pill or their doctor didn't. I have been addicted to this pill for 20+ years. I've been to a treatment center in Minnesota (Hazelden) twice, and several smaller facilities over the years. In the course of my treatment travels, I have only met one person who was addicted to Fioricett in treatment. So I was glad to hear I'm not alone when I ready your email.

I will get off them for a while, but it never is over a year before I'm back on them. I just don't know of another headache medicine that works as well, if only temporarily. Right now, I am looking at getting off them again because, they are depressants, and my husband died and I'm depressed enough. I am going to see a neurologist tomorrow to see if he will detox me, but I know they don't like to do that.

But today I'm out of them, and I know I'm headed for some pretty rough days ahead if he won't help me. As you say, lots of horrible headaches, and the last time I withdrew cold-turkey, I vomitted violently and at one point I thought I was seeing something out of the corner of my eye. It really is a terrible drug and my body just doesn't bounce back the way it used to. But I don't seem to get it through my thick skull that this is not the way to go, because it ALWYS gives back worse than it helped.

I pray there is a deliverance for both of us ahead from Fioricett.

Let's keeping hanging in....God is mighty to save!
    kim
    WOW!!! First of all I had no idea so many people were out there with this same problem. I go overboard with anything bc of my depression and I've pretty much recently done it with the fioricet (probably bc that's all I have) I don't get it bc as said its such a downer and makes you SO tired..except that maybe half an hour (at least for me where I'm a chatter box and feel pretty buzzed) other than that it does nothing positive.I'm lucky bc when I stop I act feel better after its out of my system! I however have been thru percocet detox after a broken back and THAT- NOT fun! Anyway, I've been and have taken it all midrin, all the triptans aka imitrex etc, depakote, I'm now on topamax (sezure drug) works pretty good! Taken the vicodin you name it! Anyway, I'm glad I found this and I'm so sorry for your loss of your husband, pray you get through this rough time!

jr424 is offline New Member

Default Do not take fioricet

Hello,

My father is currently (as I am writing this) in Fioricet detox in a hospital in the NY area.

FIORCET ALMOST KILLED MY FATHER.

I do not understand how they let a drug like this legal.

He has been in detox for 6 1/2 days. He had numerous seizures, and is currently in full blown hallucinations. He is constantly talking to people that aren't there and is totally incoherant. His is jittering from head to toe and hasn't slept in 4 days. He can not be left alone because he tries to leave and cannot walk.

As far as what I am reading online we still have another week to deal with the detox. I do not know when the hallucinations will stop.

DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. THE MIGRAINES ARE BETTER THAN WHAT HE AND MY FAMILY IS GOING THROUGH NOW.

I am posting this blog because I don't want to have any one else suffer like my family and my father has suffered.

God bless, and tell anyone that you know that FIORCET IS NOT THE ANSWER. It is highly addictive and the withdrawal symptons are horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by migrainesuf1166 View Post
    WOW!!! First of all I had no idea so many people were out there with this same problem. I go overboard with anything bc of my depression and I've pretty much recently done it with the fioricet (probably bc that's all I have) I don't get it bc as said its such a downer and makes you SO tired..except that maybe half an hour (at least for me where I'm a chatter box and feel pretty buzzed) other than that it does nothing positive.I'm lucky bc when I stop I act feel better after its out of my system! I however have been thru percocet detox after a broken back and THAT- NOT fun! Anyway, I've been and have taken it all midrin, all the triptans aka imitrex etc, depakote, I'm now on topamax (sezure drug) works pretty good! Taken the vicodin you name it! Anyway, I'm glad I found this and I'm so sorry for your loss of your husband, pray you get through this rough time!

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I've never had migraines, thankfully, but I had a cousin who got them so bad that she used to literally bang her head against the wall. A friend had to stay in a dark room with a blanket over her head. They are terrible I'm sure. I did some research through google and found there are several non narcotic treatments that are non addictive (too many for me to mention here). I also found a site about a non narcotic injection you can give yourself at home. Just do the search and you'll find things that will help, other then fiorcet. Good luck to all you migraine sufferers.