Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ladisandy
False Positive for PCP. Please help.
    gryphin is offline New Member

Default False Positive for PCP. Please help.

I am drug tested randomly by the person in authority over me. They have good reason to do so, as I do have a history of some drug use. However, I haven't done anything for a while. Not a huge, but decent amount of time. But now I have a big problem, I tested positive for PCP twice now and I have a third test coming very soon and I Have to show I have not used PCP, now or ever. I have never done PCP, in fact I have never even seen PCP. The closest I have come to it is hearing second-hand talk about smoking weed with it. So, if anyone knows and can tell me what might trigger a false postitve for PCP, please, please, let me know what they are. Or if you know somewhere I can look it up, or anything at all that might help. Thank you.

-gryphin

lkstar is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by gryphin

I am drug tested randomly by the person in authority over me. They have good reason to do so, as I do have a history of some drug use. However, I haven't done anything for a while. Not a huge, but decent amount of time. But now I have a big problem, I tested positive for PCP twice now and I have a third test coming very soon and I Have to show I have not used PCP, now or ever. I have never done PCP, in fact I have never even seen PCP. The closest I have come to it is hearing second-hand talk about smoking weed with it. So, if anyone knows and can tell me what might trigger a false postitve for PCP, please, please, let me know what they are. Or if you know somewhere I can look it up, or anything at all that might help. Thank you.

-gryphin

lkstar is offline New Member

On your false positive results showing PCP. you may have found some help by now, but I just didn't want you to think that you were the only one this had happend to. I'm 59 years old and had a false positive showing pcp. I've never even used pcp. I've heard of it, years ago, when I was a hippy. We called it angel dust, but even then didn't use it. I didn't even know what or how they used it now. I sure found out though. While I was in jail. For this was the second time it had showed up. After doing a lot of research on the net, I have found one thing in common. Most of the people in my boat have used a lot of antihistamines. Things like pseudoephdrine, Sudafed, and Chlorpheniramine Maleate. Any and all drugs containing DMX, and there are a lot of them, freguently show false positives for PCP. There are other things also, medications taken for Asthma can do it. Especially Primatene. I don't know how to prove it though. There is a test that shows the DXM instead of the pcp, but try getting your PO to look into that one. I hope this at least gives you some info.

PCP is phencyclidine. Maybe you had ingested phentermine? Maybe phenacimide? Phenathiazine? Just a guess.

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy

marshilade is offline New Member

Are you taking effexor XR? I also had a false positive test for PCP at my pain clinic. I am on effexor XR an anti-depressant medication which has been known to show up as a false positive for PCP on many lower grade cheaper drug tests. Maybe this article can give you some help http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/48/4/676.

bnicole7898 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by gryphin View Post

-gryphin
    I don't know how to help you except that i've just had a similar problem. I have had problems in the past with cocaine and weed, but have never touched pcp or any other hallucinogen. and I got out of treatment almost two months ago and am going on 5 months clean from everything, but on my last drug test, it showed positive for pcp. My therapist attributed this to the number and combination of antipsychotic drugs I'm on for my bipolar. I'm on lamictal, seroquel, provigil and vyvanse. oh and the vyvanse often tests positve for amphetamines. If you are on any of these, that may explain it, but i don't know for sure, i mean i'm not a professional or anything.

ladisandy is offline New Member

I realize that this is a really old thread, but it is still the first that comes up when false positive PCP is searched, so I thought I would add my information. I am a dual diagnosis therapist, my clients are in addictions recovery and managing mental health issues. Pristique, Lamictal, and Effexor are known to cause false positives for PCP. It can be hard to convince probation officers and others in authority that this is the case, but it is well documented. Good luck!
    tammydonny likes this.

ProbationOmaha is offline New Member

Default Most common false Positive!

Quote Originally Posted by gryphin View Post

-gryphin
    The most common false positive for urine screening i know for PCP is when an individual is using large quantities of Dextromethorphan! Who would have known it? But every time the samples are sent in for a mass gas spec... it turned out to be Dextromethorphan and not PCP! This has to be the most abused over the counter drug that I have seen. In addition, there is no warning about using Dextromethorphan when taking SSRI's! Dextromethorphan is a non-selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor!
    It can cause serotonin syndrome when the two are used together and especially if large doses of Dextromethorphan are taken over a period of days. Its so very sad... This is all a failing of the FDA and a consequence of a drug that makes lots of money.

tammydonny is offline New Member

Thank You for your info. I am testing positive for PCP also. I Have never tried or even seen PCP. I am on Effexor though.... Interesting!

Researcher2011 is offline New Member

Default Tramadol/PCP

I was taking tramadol and had a seizure, when I went to the ER they tested my urine fr drugs. I had already told them I was taking Loratab before I was switched to Tramadol, and also was took Xanax on an "as needed" bases. It had been over a week that I had either of the two. Tramadol was all I was taking. My urine test came back positive for benzo's, opiate's, and get this PCP! I could understand the first two, but PCP.....I looked at the docotor with confusion and asked him how that was possible and if the labs were mixed up or something for I have never done PCP in my life let alone seen what PCP looks like. He could have cared less and looked at me like some drug addict, needless to say he was an A**Wh*le!! It is docotrs like the one at the ER that make me hate docotors and see them in the same category as lawyers truthfully. Anyways I am writting to the FDA about this issue for it needs to be looked into before someone's reputation is ruined!! I know how it made me feel when I was looked at like some druggie, wonder how that Dr. would feel it the same happened to him? Is it not true that poppy seeds can make you test positive for opiates? Scary that there is not much research on drugs that can cause someone to fail a drug screen.

alexandria95 is offline New Member

Default Just thought to inform

I know this post is extremely old. Anyways though I in the past had a pill problem. I took anything I could get my hands on which wasn't much. One time I took 5 mucinex. Did not know I would be in the emergency room that night. The doctor walked in at one point and said have you been doing PCP. I was thinking what in the world is he talking about. I hadn't even heard of this stuff could it be given through some way of breathing? The nurse came in and told me that it was the mucinex. Antihistamines give you a false positive on PCP.

Ankomst is offline New Member

Default Doctor treating you like an addict -

Quote Originally Posted by Researcher2011 View Post
    I was taking tramadol and had a seizure, when I went to the ER they tested my urine fr drugs. I had already told them I was taking Loratab before I was switched to Tramadol, and also was took Xanax on an "as needed" bases. It had been over a week that I had either of the two. Tramadol was all I was taking. My urine test came back positive for benzo's, opiate's, and get this PCP! I could understand the first two, but PCP.....I looked at the docotor with confusion and asked him how that was possible and if the labs were mixed up or something for I have never done PCP in my life let alone seen what PCP looks like. He could have cared less and looked at me like some drug addict, needless to say he was an A**Wh*le!! It is docotrs like the one at the ER that make me hate docotors and see them in the same category as lawyers truthfully.
    I take antihistamines and decongestants regularly, so I'll keep this in mind. I've never heard of this before... Amazing.. Kind of like poppy seeds creating a false positive, huh?

Completely unrelated to the PCP issue, I have a dialysis access in my left arm, and as a result I have a lot of track marks from the needles. I had an ER doctor ask me as soon as he walked into my room, "When was the last time you used?". I asked him what he meant. He said, ">>>>>>. When was the last time you used?" I told him I was on dialysis, and that asked him what was wrong with him that he needed to assume everyone in their twenties was a drug addict. He was then thoroughly embarrassed, and apologized.

BuzzKillington is offline New Member

Default Same thing happened to me

Quote Originally Posted by Researcher2011 View Post
    I was taking tramadol and had a seizure, when I went to the ER they tested my urine fr drugs. I had already told them I was taking Loratab before I was switched to Tramadol, and also was took Xanax on an "as needed" bases. It had been over a week that I had either of the two. Tramadol was all I was taking. My urine test came back positive for benzo's, opiate's, and get this PCP! I could understand the first two, but PCP.....I looked at the docotor with confusion and asked him how that was possible and if the labs were mixed up or something for I have never done PCP in my life let alone seen what PCP looks like. He could have cared less and looked at me like some drug addict, needless to say he was an A**Wh*le!! It is docotrs like the one at the ER that make me hate docotors and see them in the same category as lawyers truthfully. Anyways I am writting to the FDA about this issue for it needs to be looked into before someone's reputation is ruined!! I know how it made me feel when I was looked at like some druggie, wonder how that Dr. would feel it the same happened to him? Is it not true that poppy seeds can make you test positive for opiates? Scary that there is not much research on drugs that can cause someone to fail a drug screen.
    This exact same thing happened to me! I had been taking tramadol and had a seizure, while driving! My wife had to jump on me and get the car pulled off the road. Ambulance came and took me to the hospital and while there I was given some blood and urine tests. The doctor came in and said, "You came positive for PCP's" He said "PCP's" as in plural, which I thought meant some certain category of drugs, not just the drug PCP. The first thing he asked after telling me about the positive test was, "Do you use bath salts?" I never have used bath salts nor PCP. I am married with a wife, we both have jobs and I don't do drugs, other than prescription medication, at all. This was a very big shocker to me. The doc was pretty cool about this and said, "Relax, I'm not grilling you or anything." But it was a big deal to me since I had NOT used any drugs and I had also been questioned by a cop on the side of the road before I took off to the hospital.

It seems apparent to me that Tramadol DOES cause this false positive. Please keep me updated with any information you get from writing to the FDA. I feel like Tramadol is a very dangerous medication that was hyped up to be super safe and really it is not. I am working on not taking it anymore but after so many months on it, I get sick if I stop suddenly...another reason I dislike it.

That's so weird that the same thing happened to you. I now have to go and get a doctors letter to allow me to drive and submit it to the BMV, even though they already ruled out epilepsy. Tramadol has had a large negative impact on my life and I regret ever taking it.

MariaK75 is offline New Member

Three days ago my 8yr old daughter and 73yr old grandmother call 911 for me. My poor 8yr old thought I was going to die as i had a seizure for the first time in 37yrs on this earth!! I have never been so scared. The EMT is going through all the typical questions and no one can figure out what could have caused this. Well after what seemed like 100 tests and even more questions no one can figure out what caused me to have a seizure. As the remaining results come in my Dr. informs me that not only do they not know what caused it but my drug screen tested positive for PCP!! So I would like to know how I can or if I even got an accurate diagnosis or did they see the test results and cough it up to another junkie who got to big of a fix tonight. These test need to be more accurate and these dr.'s need to have some consideration and not assume that there tests are 100%. They are so worried about not giving out narcotics and there replacements are doing more harm than good!!