effects of snorting Tylenol / Advil - anyone know?
    rc2632 is offline New Member

Default effects of snorting Tylenol / Advil - anyone know?

Hoping someone can help ... my 14-yr-old son has become a regular pot user and seems to be graduating to other things. I've read on his computer that his friends are snorting Tylenol and Advil. Last night I found a white powder in his backpack that initially seemed to be coke. It turned out not to be, but I don't know what it is. When I suggested Tylenol he looked at me like I'm an idiot and said "who'd do that? It wouldn't do anything." Yet I know his buddies have done it. Anyone know what effect it has? Thank you ...

Antiprepp1105 is offline Member

If he friends are indeed doing that I feel really bad for them because that would do nothing more than provide mild pain relief and hurt your nose incredibly. If they are you may want to think of A} punishing them and B) getting them a new school becuase thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.

Obviously we are going to punish him and separate him from the morons who are doing this. What I want to know is, what effect does snorting an analgesic have on the body? Do you get high? Numb? Anyone know?

Panamarod is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by rc2632

Obviously we are going to punish him and separate him from the morons who are doing this. What I want to know is, what effect does snorting an analgesic have on the body? Do you get high? Numb? Anyone know?
    It burns the ever-loving-**** out of your nose and nothing more. I do have a suggestion, having gone through the drug thing with my parents. Don't distance yourself from your child by talking down him and don't try to control every facet of his life, that will only push him further and further away. It's parental instinct to want to direct him in the right way, but take a dog for instance. If you push a dog that's standing up, it's only natural for the dog to lean against your pressure. The same goes for the cocky confidence of adolescents.

My parents strong armed me and it did nothing. I started warming up to them when they actually started 'caring' about what I was doing, instead of being afraid of what I was doing. You may say things to your son that make you both feel akward. Why is my mom/dad saying this to me, why aren't they pissed? Why didn't my son get irrate when I mentioned that?

Trust me, if your kid is doing something illegal, he knows he is. And he expects you to punish him if you find out about it. Try surprising him. Be creative, don't just take a belt to him or slap him on the wrist and be pissed. Be curious and understanding. There are tons of parents out there who chastise their children and in a fearful panic say things they wouldn't otherwise say had the situation not involved drugs. But the sad fact is, drugs are scary and they can completely control a person. But not at first. Not at 14-years old. You kinda have to sit back and laugh... they're snorting tylenol. At least they're not diving right into cocaine or >>>>>>.

Don't condone the behavior, but don't demonize it.

Rod

Rod -- I like what you wrote. Thanks very much for taking the time to do that. I'm dealing with a pretty bright kid who was on a good path until 6 months ago, and I'm trying to figure out how to get him back on that path without alienating him. A police officer told me to keep him really busy & to emphasize discipline. I really want to find a way to talk to him without having the conversation drift to drugs all the time, but it's kind of a hard subject to ignore. I will keep your words in mind. Thanks again.

Rob

Panamarod is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by rc2632

Rod -- I like what you wrote. Thanks very much for taking the time to do that. I'm dealing with a pretty bright kid who was on a good path until 6 months ago, and I'm trying to figure out how to get him back on that path without alienating him. A police officer told me to keep him really busy & to emphasize discipline. I really want to find a way to talk to him without having the conversation drift to drugs all the time, but it's kind of a hard subject to ignore. I will keep your words in mind. Thanks again.

Rob
    No problem Rob, good luck to you and your son.

Rod

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Even though it doesn't sound like he's tried anything like an opiate just the fact that he's willing to go through the motions bothers me.He has to realize that if he chooses to do something like this that there is no turning back by that I mean"if he snorts an opiate then he is stuck with the effect it has on him".Once he put's it in to his body he virtually has no control over it.So if he unknownly takes to much he's got to realize that he would be in danger of dying.No screwin around this is real life and it happens everyday.I hope he decides this lifestyle is not for him and he either makes new friends or convinces his friends now to turn the other cheek.Good luck....Dave

I'm so sorry but I did indeed laugh aloud when I read that some kids were engaging in snorting tylenol... quite the deviant behavior, huh? I bet they felt real cool.

"Hey man, you want another line of that Extra Strength?"

"No, man, I'm still all f***ed up on this Children's Tylenol."

It's a laughing matter right now, but I'm with Rod. That's an early sign of an addictive personality. I don't recommend you take an authoritative stand when you approach it. I suggest that you, as a parent and obviously wiser individual than a fourteen-year-old boy, laugh at him. Tell him how ridiculous he's being. Ask him if he feels like a real drug user when he snorts OTC's, and if that makes him feel cool. If you can make the child feel foolish about what they've done instead of ashamed, they are quite unlikely to continue the behavior behind your back.

I worked at a daycare for three years (ahh... the memories) and it worked every time with me. Whether he admits it or not, you are still, on some deeply psychological level, his role model.

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy

Antiprepp1105 is offline Member

As for effects, no high, no numbness. Just mile analgesia (nothin more than eating it) and it burns your nose more than you could imagine.

gryphin is offline New Member

It does not get you high at all. I did it when I was like 12-13 or so. But looking back it wasn't all about getting high, it was kinda as though the act of snorting something was what the attraction was. And for you I say watch out. From what I have seen, I would say it is a sure thing your kid would like to snort an actual drug and most likely would if he had the chance, sooner or later. And some day he will have the chance. Do something asap for him. Trust me. Snorting tylenol should not be laughed at, even though in an ignorant sort of way it is funny. It is a sign of things to come unless something is done. I agree with whoever said don't come down too hard. If he really wants to do a real drug, he will, sooner or later. He has to not want to do it. Not just be hindered by severe punishment or lack of freedom. Someday he will be able to do anything he wants because he is on his own. Try to be a parent who helps him become someone will make wise choices when he is on his own. Last thing, its better for your kid to smoke pot and you know about it and don't bust his balls for it, than to have him be snorting things and probably smoking pot and you have no idea about it or are unable to stop it. Just my thoughts.

-gryphin

gryphin is offline New Member

I do realize the ole' paragraph thinking could have been used.

mattovation121 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by rc2632 View Post
    Hoping someone can help ... my 14-yr-old son has become a regular pot user and seems to be graduating to other things. I've read on his computer that his friends are snorting Tylenol and Advil. Last night I found a white powder in his backpack that initially seemed to be coke. It turned out not to be, but I don't know what it is. When I suggested Tylenol he looked at me like I'm an idiot and said "who'd do that? It wouldn't do anything." Yet I know his buddies have done it. Anyone know what effect it has? Thank you ...

It seems like your son is just doing anything he can to make himself feel high. i remember when i was 14 and 15 i would do the same types of things. Incredibly stupid though. i could imagine the tension in the family now that you have found all this about your son. not to try and impose any ideas on you, but i would recommend family counseling. i remember when my parents found a bong under my bed. and similar things to what you found your son doing. i would say that it gradually gets more intense as he gets older, ecstasy was just starting to/is starting to be the new thing. counseling is a gaurentied best way out sort of thing.

Antidrugmovement is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by rc2632 View Post
    Lemme start off by saying that you are an idiot of a parent who couldn't give a damn what their kids grow up to be. I mean come on snorting tylenol? Who the he'll are letting your kid socialize with?

Anonymous Guest

Hey guys you are posting to something in 2006 I dont think they are here anymore

BigJ420 is offline New Member

It doesn't get you high at all. And it burns horribly. I know this because one time when I was 15 I tried snorting tylenol because I didn't have anymore oxycodones. Didn't work out too well. And about your son, I'm sorry to hear this. And what I think you should do is search his room. Don't let him know and don't bring it up if you find anything. I'm 19 and when I used to live with my mom I remember one time I came home from a friends house and found that my weed was gone. Of course I didn't say anything about it. But I knew she took it. Also if she would have ever found my oxycodones i probably not have done them again, because snorting is a major deal to parents, of course you know that. But try searching his room without him knowing and if you find any drugs or paraphernalia, take them, but don't bring it up whether how irate you may be(Unless its major like coke, >>>>>>, oxycontin, ecstasy, anything along those lines). But see what happens, try searching in a week or two, chances are nothing will be there. But search everywhere, trust me, parents may want to think that teens arent smart enough to hide things well, but theyre even better at it than you are. Search under beds, in pockets, in boxes, anywhere. Its a good chance they will be somewhere obvious with them thinking its too obvious you wont even check there. But if not, check every crevice in that room. And like i said don't bring it up, go on with normal life, check back in a couple weeks, and chances are you wont find anything.
    Also, dont think the drugs will be in the same place twice. Hope this helps.
    ~J

qtb88 is offline New Member

Exclamation another possibility no one mentioned

sorry this is so late, but no one mentioned that she could not have seen the whole story or read it right. The powder you found could have been vicodine or percocet, which are commonly abused painkillers. Each contain Tylenol, actually quite a bit of it. A percocet 10 mg the largest percocet contains 10 mg of oxycotine and somewhere near 325 mg of Tylenol.

that is why these also burn when a person snorts them, but is seen as worth the abuse for thee effect. both vicodin and percocet have mg variations that are white and break u[ easily into powder.

Another topic they could have been mentioning was how to get more oxycotin, or codine, the commonly abused pain killer without ingesting all the toxic at "high doses" Tylenol. A commonly used method for users of oxycotin, which generally need higher doses of oxycotin then one pill of vicodin and percocet provide, (seeing as "oxys" and similar "roxys" come in doses ranging anywhere from 25 milligrams for roxys u to 80 mg for oxys), is cold water extraction. the user breaks up the pills into powder places it into a coffee filter (or a cheese cloth etc.) and places that into icy water. A glass is enough. the point is that the oxy is very water soluble even in cold temperatures, where as the Tylenol is not and will stay behind. This then leaves you with a gritty tasting glass of water with very little Tylenol and most of the oxycotin.

Did any of this maybe sound like the conversation you might have heard. Perhaps not the cold water extraction if he is just starting with pain killers or a recent parent or someone might have gotten prescribed it. or wisdom teeth got taken out, anything like that will generally give out a generic vicodin, more serious breaks and back injury's will tend to as I've seen, give out percocets. Users eventually or when they start, tend to snort these pills to give them the effect quicker and/or all at once.

My friend fell into addiction to oxy, and if i can say anything its that he does not have to be in a bad area or a bad family to get these or use these. My firend and others that i know come from very loving and caring families and the wealthy ones just have more money, longer, to support them using pharmacutical >>>>>>, which is what it is, just as addictive and bad for you, just "safer" in some ways because you know it is not cut with anything and know how much you are geting and the purity. my firend who was selling them which allowed him to not show his parents how much he was spending on them, eventually could not sell enough constantly to fuel his addictiion and then had to go to the, if you have fairly pure >>>>>>, the same high as the 50 dollar high or more is for oxy. Hope this helped educate you on maybe what your son is up to. atleast you can be more knowledgable later if you find out he starts pain killers and will know what you are talking about, being able to connect to him more and your opinion might matter more. Because some people can use occasionally, others cant.

John

qtb88 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigJ420
    It doesn't get you high at all. And it burns horribly. I know this because one time when I was 15 I tried snorting tylenol because I didn't have anymore oxycodones. Didn't work out too well. And about your son, I'm sorry to hear this. And what I think you should do is search his room. Don't let him know and don't bring it up if you find anything. I'm 19 and when I used to live with my mom I remember one time I came home from a friends house and found that my weed was gone. Of course I didn't say anything about it. But I knew she took it. Also if she would have ever found my oxycodones i probably not have done them again, because snorting is a major deal to parents, of course you know that. But try searching his room without him knowing and if you find any drugs or paraphernalia, take them, but don't bring it up whether how irate you may be(Unless its major like coke, >>>>>>, oxycontin, ecstasy, anything along those lines). But see what happens, try searching in a week or two, chances are nothing will be there. But search everywhere, trust me, parents may want to think that teens arent smart enough to hide things well, but theyre even better at it than you are. Search under beds, in pockets, in boxes, anywhere. Its a good chance they will be somewhere obvious with them thinking its too obvious you wont even check there. But if not, check every crevice in that room. And like i said don't bring it up, go on with normal life, check back in a couple weeks, and chances are you wont find anything.
    Also, dont think the drugs will be in the same place twice. Hope this helps.
    ~J
    responding to BigJ420 is disagree with him. If it is unaceptable to you as a parent, such as the ectasy, oxy, >>>>>> ect. i beleive you need to take it and make it known in the right way and talk to him about it after you educate yourself properly, dont let it go unsaid or youll get know where. ind out the dangers and dont sound dumb, the more like you sound like youve seen or been around, i see the better. he might say ill never do it again and blow it off and make sure he hides it better or worse starts going out and doing them in bathroom and cars.

which brings me to my next point. i do not kno where your view point on marijuana is,but you must see how widley used and accepted it is becoming. and it is a safe drug to use with little long term effects if ingested or using a vaporizer (if you mention tar entering ones lungs. as a reason), I have used before snd continued until recently due to a job. (there are detox avalible but i chose to stop until after, and do not pressure people but encourage those who found out they enjoy its effects, for whatever reason to use it. is he not doing well in school? sneaking around all day? because he feels uncomfortable being high around you or in fear of you knowing. If you accepted his use, even if you decide to tell him not in the house, because it is after all your house, you will see a difference and be able to talk o him more when it comes to other drugs, which have actual health risks and give serioous time in jail. you can help him by making smarter decisions if it is illegal near you to not get arrested because he is going to use no matter what if he wants, it is acceted by most and everywhere to a teen. And regulating and viewing his use when he sneaks outside and smokes a little joint will give you peace of mind. hell be around so much more eventually. his friends will come around more, and you will get him to do more homeowrk and school work, by being able to tell him hey why dont you wait get your work done and then you can do what you have to do after your responsibilities are done. I also dont condone letting him do it in the house or in the open if you have a young child or anyone who hasnt already made up their mind or can think on their own about use, no young kids! so if you let him in the house make sure its put away where no one that shouldnt find it does. control the smell if it is bad, which a anothe bag can take care of.

the more you know about hwat he does especially by showing him, "hey i let you smoke a litttle marijuana" all while being able to regulate his use "i know the effects of those drugs you are getting into and i will not allow them here and i am concerned and need you to know the effects these drugs can have on you." this way hell never get started on a habbit if he is not there yet. Just bring the topic up by getting you husband if you have one or anyone who is in the house and start off by sayin "look i know you you like to smoke, or use marijuana, and even if i dont use it (because lets admit it most of the people who are really concerned about marijuana have had a not so pleasent experience with it or have never tried it at all. and now admit that you dont understand a thing about it at all then, really.) Just because you dont agree with, or see the big picture, doesnt mean you should stop him from doing everything in his life. lets also look at when he is 21 if hes not it is legal for him to go out and drink or come home and drink and get drunk, what is worse a few beers or a joint or a little bowl (pipe) of weed. ill tell you what is the alcohol is and is legal. anyone who cant see that is in denial becuase if you dont like to drink ether then you wont see it happining but kids will experiment with alcohol and those kids who you view as better for not smoking will make bad decisions or get hurt or in trouble while dirnking or to drink.

i just see dodging it as not working at all and ignorant at this point. GET EDUCATED, GET REAL. GET UNDERSTANDING. GET UP. what youll get is maybe not the son you dreamed of molding into what you want but will notice he has alot more in common and you have alot more influence over his life than you woouold without.

by the way even after the jwh chemical band. there are perfectly legal incense blends that are avalible at headshops and give you a similar high to marijuana. and will continue to be avaiible because there are so many cannibinoids. that will not show up in a drug test. and are not regulated byt fda and havent been researched for long term effects and some may be toxic if they ban enough.
    Last edited by qtb88; 01-03-2011 at 12:46 AM.