Drug shelf life
    Wyndy is offline New Member

Default Drug shelf life

I have a question about Dyazide, which is a diuretic. I take them as part of my high-blood pressure regimen.
    How long is the shelf-life after the expiration date on the package? I was told by someone that it was 2 years. Yet i asked the same question to a pharmacist today and she said probably a week to 10 days after the date on the bottle.
    My sister in law is a nurse and she wanted to send me some with the exp date of this month. I'm a little worried about them being expired. Yet at the same time, finances aren't the greatest right now and i could use some freebies. I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thank you.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Well reality is that there is no definitive expiration date on most drugs, after approximately 18 months from the expiration date, they begin to lost potency, but they never really expire, so to speak.

Some rare drugs, such as erythromycin, become toxic after expiration, but that is clearly noted in the patient information. Diuretics don't get dangerous, they just lose potency as I said, so you might have to take two if they are over a year and a half old to get an effective dose.

However, if the ones she is giving you have only expired this month, they are fine for regular usage.

By law, your pharmacist has to tell you that low quote, they aren't supposed to tell you anything else, because the government does not want people to keep old medicines and keep using them. That is why your meds always come with those warnings to dispose of any left-over or expired medications.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~