Does Opioid Tolerance Ever Go Away?
    MayhemMKV is offline New Member

Exclamation Does Opioid Tolerance Ever Go Away?

This is kind of a continuation of my last post. I'm looking for personal experiences or opinons on weather opioid (Oxycodone, Hydrocodone) Tolerance fades over time or, Once you build it does it stay forever?

Any opinions , Ideas?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MayhemMKV View Post
    This is kind of a continuation of my last post. I'm looking for personal experiences or opinons on weather opioid (Oxycodone, Hydrocodone) Tolerance fades over time or, Once you build it does it stay forever?

Any opinions , Ideas?

I began using in 1968 so I have cleaned up and relapsed more than once over the years before finally getting clean and staying clean. I was clean once for three years after taking at least 30 30mg oxy a day. When I relapsed my tolerance was significantly less for about a week max. Within 10 days I was taking 40 lorcets a day.

Each time we relapse we go right back to where we were when we previously stopped. It's like we never quit. The addiction is just waiting for us to come back so we can pick up right where we left off. I have seen the exact same thing happen with every person I know who has relapsed.

There is no such thing as being clean for a while and then going back out and being able to start over like we had never used. It just doesn't happen ever in my experience.

The only time there might be an exception would be for someone who had a very mild dependence. I have never used "mildly" so I don't know about that scenario. But for those of us who abused opiates seriously it doesn't EVER happen. God bless.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Just to add what Robert said!! Usually when you relapse you tend to take even more then you did before. The first few days feels great then you're right back to not being able to feel anything. A vicious circle to say the least. To bad it took me 25 years before I decided to get into recovery......Dave

Lightbulb

Between Dave and I you are looking at over 60 years of experience. Not bragging just a fact. That is probably about as solid advice based on first hand experience as you are going to find anywhere. Take it for what it's worth. Stop and don't go back so you don't end up spinning your wheels for decades like we did. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 10-30-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Mayhem
    I don't know if you want one more opinion,but trust me it never goes away
    you will start right back up where you left off, maybe the first time you wont take as much, but just give it a day and you will.
    Best of luck to you,Melinda

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

I haven't read your other posts, but the answer depends if you're using or not, and if you have- however long it is before you start using again. These other answers are so wrong, sorry Robert and Dave, but they are. Of course tolerance goes down, if you use to use say 320mg of OC a day, then quit for 5 years then start back, taking 320mgs will cause you to OD. Anyone who quits for even a short time like a month, then goes back to the same amount will get very buzzed, that's because of tolerance. I do agree addicts almost always go back to using the same amount that they use to (and it's easier and quicker for them to do so then an opioid naive individual), but time is a factor and they have to work back up to it. Tolerance may not always go back to zero, we all remember taking our first 10mgs of Vicodin and experiencing euphoria, after quitting for 10 years it may not (and I say "may") produce the same euphoria, but it will relieve pain to a great degree and if you choose to remain at the 10mg dose (even if you use to take 10-20 times as much in the past) it will continue to be effective.

Default Cats

Sorry but I don't think you read my first reply here correctly to which Dave agreed. Please go back and carefully read again what I wrote. I think you will see that I pretty much agreed with what you said or at least that was the way it was intended. To quote my reply word for word when describing my experience after relapsing from three years clean following an oxy addiction "...... When I relapsed my tolerance was significantly less for about a week max. Within 10 days I was taking 40 lorcets a day." I think that is about what you said when you said the tolerance builds back up quicker than for an opioid naive person. You just didn't state a specific amount of time that it takes for that tolerance to build back up. I don't think anyone can give a specific number of days that it would take for everyone as we are all a little different. Most certainly if I had immediately taken 30 30mg oxy in a day like before it would have caused me to OD. Had I immediately taken 40 lorcets in a day that would have caused me to OD. But it sure didn't OD me after ten days. I was slobbering on myself but my tolerance was definitely built back up within a ten day period. I think we just misunderstood how the reply was written. We didn't say that the tolerance never reduced, just that it built back up very quickly. That was the same thing you wrote or at least it seems like it was to me. Dave even said that for the first few days it feels great but then you are back to the same old thing. I think that we are all three saying exactly the same thing. No one is in disagreement at all that I can tell.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 10-30-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Yes, I think we are basically saying the same thing, I wish I hadn't worded it like I had, but Melinda's blanket statement is wrong.

Tolerance always go down, an addict can start over, if enough time has passed, their euphoria may not be as intense, but it is possible that they can follow the same highway to hell that they took the first time, but more often then not they'll be on that highway doing 100.
    I want to stress the point that it doesn't have to be that way, an addict (or dependant) does not have to go back to where they left off in a very short time. There is no reason why someone who took 900mgs of Oxy per day, has say 5 years clean time, can't take 10mgs of hydrocodone and have effective analgesia and stay on the same stable dose over time like an opioid naive patient can.

Again, sorry for saying you were wrong, it wasn't exactly what I meant, I mostly took exception with your third paragraph, but that's your experience and it's more opinion then fact, but statistically you are correct.

Thanks for all that you do, and being a gentlemen, you're among the most helpful people we've ever had on this site.

Anonymous Guest

Default It's just my opinion...

Hi Cats Meow
    I wasn't trying to be right or wrong here.I was just stating my opinion and what i had went through in my little 3 year run with oxycontin and other pain pills i was taking. Your right the first few days i wouldn't be able to take 80mg of oxycontin at once and chew them up like i once did, but if you gave me a few days i sure could.but that is just me experience and my opinion and that is what I thought MayhemMKV was asking for,my opion...dident mean to step on any toes...LOL.I enjoy watching all of your posts,wondering if your going to be able to find out some of the pill you do.with not much to go.
    Have a great day cats, Talk to ya soon, melinda

Melinda, my toes weren't stepped on, don't fret about that, and thanks for the complement!

Sometimes I get a little anal trying to be precise, by separating opinion from fact, and when you disagree with someone knowledgeable whom you respect, it's a fine line to walk without coming off as a know-it-all and hurting feelings, and making them look bad. I know how I feel when it happens to me. Sometimes I'm not careful enough, and I can be too direct, I'm not good at beating around the bush.

We're all trying to do our best being helpful, and hopefully we're appreciated for our effort.

Take care