Doctors/insurance and pain medication
    lovdoxies is offline New Member

Question Doctors/insurance and pain medication

Could someone please explain why doctors are reluctant to prescribe pain medication like Vicodin and health insurance doesn't want to pay for it or anyother medication that you as the patient knows it worked, even after extensive pain managment treatment and your still in pain.

Mary R.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by lovdoxies View Post
    Could someone please explain why doctors are reluctant to prescribe pain medication like Vicodin and health insurance doesn't want to pay for it or anyother medication that you as the patient knows it worked, even after extensive pain managment treatment and your still in pain.

Mary R.

The DEA monitors what drs do but unless you have garbage insurance they will pay for hydrocodone. It's maybe the most prescribed medication in the USA. I spent LOTS of years in this business and hydrocodone should not casue a problem with your insurance unless you caused it abusing the meds. If you're wanting oxy that is different being a schedule II narcotic where hydros are a schedule III and not monitored as closely.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-31-2011 at 12:57 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.