cymbalta and seroquel xr together
    dodiegirl65 is offline New Member

Question cymbalta and seroquel xr together

I'm on 90 mg of Cymbalta and still "down". Dr. today gave me seroquel xr 50 mg to start taking at bedtime. Will it help with my depression? I'm at the end of my rope. I'm 66 yrs.old, female and want to go on with my life. Will this help?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by dodiegirl65 View Post
    I'm on 90 mg of Cymbalta and still "down". Dr. today gave me seroquel xr 50 mg to start taking at bedtime. Will it help with my depression? I'm at the end of my rope. I'm 66 yrs.old, female and want to go on with my life. Will this help?

50mg of Seroquel is not much more than a dose to help a person sleep. Seroquel isn't really an antidepressant, it's a psych drug for schitzophrenia used off label in small doses such as 50mg for sleep. Seroquel patients often take several hundreds of mgs. The Cymbalta is for muscular / skeletal pain and also has an antidepressant. But if you're already taking Cymbalta I don't see 50mg of Seroquel doing much for your depression problem in all seriousness. Sorry! What kind of a dr are you dealing with? God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-20-2011 at 01:22 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

tjohnson92389 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    50mg of Seroquel is not much more than a dose to help a person sleep. Seroquel isn't really an antidepressant, it's a psych drug for schitzophrenia used off label in small doses such as 50mg for sleep. Seroquel patients often take several hundreds of mgs. The Cymbalta is for muscular / skeletal pain and also has an antidepressant. But if you're already taking Cymbalta I don't see 50mg of Seroquel doing much for your depression problem in all seriousness. Sorry! What kind of a dr are you dealing with? God bless.
    Agreed, i dont see seroquel helping with your depression, it just might make you a little more calm, and you'll sleep great. Otherwise, you should contact your doc

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

My psychiatrist prescribed it to me at a time when I was having family problems and was either crying or in a rage. He said it would help stabilize my mood. What I found is it was a great sleep aid. He never prescribed more than 100 mg. For severe mental illness, it is given at 10 times that amount. It has several off label uses I think.

tjohnson92389 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgal View Post
    My psychiatrist prescribed it to me at a time when I was having family problems and was either crying or in a rage. He said it would help stabilize my mood. What I found is it was a great sleep aid. He never prescribed more than 100 mg. For severe mental illness, it is given at 10 times that amount. It has several off label uses I think.
    It does have very many label uses, but its mainly a psych drug, for major mental illnesses, and commonly has a secondary use to calm anxiety and restlessness. That is my guess why he prescribed it. I am no pharmacist or doctor, but i am a nationally certifed pharmacy technician.

Hope it helps