Coming off methadone. Need some suggestions?
    monicer is offline New Member

Default Coming off methadone. Need some suggestions?

Hello everyone. I really need some help with suggestions. I've been a long-time user of methadone. I've been on it for 12 years now. I was taking 2310 mg a week. I took them in doses of 110 mg 3 times daily. It's taken me a year but now I'm down to 50 mg 3 times a day. I also take OxyContin 80 mg 4 times daily. But today I went into the doctor's office. Told him I wanted to get off the methadone completely. The reasons I was using OxyContin was so when I came down from the methadone it would help, also help with my broken feet from nueropathy.

What we agreed upon, was to go down 10 mls every 2 weeks. So I will go from 50 mils, 40 mils, 30 mils, 20 mils, 10 mills. then I will go back in 8 weeks. To help with the withdrawals he upped my OxyContin to 6. So I take 2 every 6 hours for pain Times 3. I know it is going to be a tough 8 weeks. Is there anyone out there that has gone through methadone withdrawal. All help would be appreciated. Thanks!

korbon is offline Member

I've been off Methadone for 11 months now and have had numerous experiences tapering off it. Slow and easy is the key, if you have the choice.

I was doing 100mg of Methadone a day and tried to drop to 40mg. I was so sick I had to increase my dose to a more comfortable level till my body adjusted. I was finally able to manage a 5mg drop every 4-5 days without too much discomfort. If you're dropping too fast you'll know it.

However, I still had the desire for opiates and used Suboxone to wean myself off the habit. The doctor I went to started me on 4mg BID but after dealing with Methadone WD and hearing horror stories about coming off Sub I was leary of becoming addicted again and only took them as prescribed for about a week. For me, 1mg a day was enough to stave off the cravings for opiates.

Good luck on your journey.

Anonymous Guest

shouldnt be a problem, your doctor is filling you up on more amounts of pills anyways. thats a lot of drugs mate. ive been on methadone, managed to get off .

you have a long ways to go, just be careful, coming off the methadone, you are just substituting more of the other drugs anyway. you are still going to have a helluva habit...

take it easy

methadone withdrawl is hard on its own. but seeing as you are still scripted a lot of opiates, its not nearly gonna be as hard as if you are just coming off methadone.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-04-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Somert is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by monicer View Post
    Hello everyone. I really need some help with suggestions. I've been a long-time user of methadone. I've been on it for 12 years now. I was taking 2310 mg a week. I took them in doses of 110 mg 3 times daily. It's taken me a year but now I'm down to 50 mg 3 times a day. I also take OxyContin 80 mg 4 times daily. But today I went into the doctor's office. Told him I wanted to get off the methadone completely. The reasons I was using OxyContin was so when I came down from the methadone it would help, also help with my broken feet from nueropathy.

What we agreed upon, was to go down 10 mls every 2 weeks. So I will go from 50 mils, 40 mils, 30 mils, 20 mils, 10 mills. then I will go back in 8 weeks. To help with the withdrawals he upped my OxyContin to 6. So I take 2 every 6 hours for pain Times 3. I know it is going to be a tough 8 weeks. Is there anyone out there that has gone through methadone withdrawal. All help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I 'm new here and found this site when I came accross an earlier post here.

This may help you, here's the link:

http://www.drugs.com/forum/patient-a...rug-50626.html