Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
"Coming off Methadone......"
    Jack Beanstalk is offline New Member

Default "Coming off Methadone......"

...without going into a rehab center.I have heard of some doing this successfully,although it took a while.I have read many times that this is THE HARDEST drug to stop.I have dealt with Chronic Pain(Lumbar area)for 16-17 years now,going from Darvocet,to Vicodin,to Oxycontin,then,Morphine,back to Oxy,to Methadone.I,ve been on 30mgX3 daily for over 2 years.I hate taking drugs every day and have often wished to quit.Has anyone had any experience with stopping Methadone by tapering or something?Jack Beanstalk

delicious_awishes is offline Junior Member

I have came off methodone cold turkey. I was on 80mg for about a year and then I went to jail for 60 days. It was the worste 60 days I ever seen. So I know what your going through. I would go to the docters or order some xanax it would probelly help. But no ive never taperd...

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

If your planning on getting off methadone you need to do an extremely slow taper.The usual way to taper from methadone is 10% every 2 weeks.You take 90mgs total every day so you would cut that to 80 mgs.Try cutting down 10 mgs every 2-3 weeks ( you have to wait this long because methadone has a long half-life).When you get to 30 mgs ask your dr about subutex.If you don't want to involve your dr then once you get down to 20-30mgs/day then slow down to 5 mgs every 2 weeks,if you start to feel ****ty go back up.It takes along time but it's worth it.If you try and stop cold turkey you will be in withdrawls for months.Good luck and let us know how your doing......Dave
    sweetholly likes this.

the signlady is offline New Member

Well first to give you idea how BAD "the system" really is
    Last week his psychiatrist said at 18 mg you shouldnt have ANY withdrawal symptoms but rx'd him .1 clonodine which didnt help much but lowers your blood pressure so after few days, was getting him dizzy

The methadone clinic counselor, "well we might be able to get you in to see the dr by next tuesday (this was monday)
    The mental health guy who works with the clinic, said not really much you can do and your too low for suboxone....

So went back to the Samsha? site and after four calls found local md who he sees today who will do the suboxone med regimin and said you should be able to get the med going and say byby to the clinic and balance of methadone altogether...

he chuckled at the lack of concern and interest of the above drs, etc like he heard it sooooo many times before

not covered by his insurance but not too bad on costs

he may stay with seeing his counselor on a weekly basis for awhile without the meds, just to keep mentally in check

will follow up few days and let you know how he does
    thanks all

lm

TISH is offline New Member

I HAVE BEEN ON METHADONE FOR YEARS AND BEFORE THAT OTHER PAIN MEDS.
    12 DAYS AGO I STOPPED. IT IS VERY HARD, i FINALLY CALLED MY DR. AND GOT SOME XANAX TO HELP ME SLEEP. BUT, WE CAN DO THIS RIGHT. I HAVE A VERY SUPPORTIVE FAMILY THAT LOVES ME. EVEN IF THIS DOES TAKE 4TO 5 WEEKS LIKE THEY SAY IT DOES IT IS EITHER THIS OR BACK ON THE DRUGS AND I AM TIRED OF THE DRUGS HAVING CONTROL OVER ME. IT KILLS ME NOT HAVING THE ENERGY TO EVEN HELP WITH HOUSE WORK OR BATHE MY LITTLE GIRL BUT THINK OF THE REWARDS WHEN IT IS OVER!!!! THAT IS THE HARDEST PART FOR ME IS NOT FEELING LIKE MOVING. DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET BACK TO FEELING NORMAL I CAN HANDLE ANYTHING IF I HAVE A TIME FRAME. AND THINK OF ALL THE MONEY YOU CAN SAVE IF YOU GET OFF THIS >>>>!!!!! SOME WORDS OF ENCOURAGMENT PLEASE!!!!

TRICIA MICHAEL

BMFANDY is offline New Member

Smile hi mate

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Beanstalk View Post
    ...without going into a rehab center.I have heard of some doing this successfully,although it took a while.I have read many times that this is THE HARDEST drug to stop.I have dealt with Chronic Pain(Lumbar area)for 16-17 years now,going from Darvocet,to Vicodin,to Oxycontin,then,Morphine,back to Oxy,to Methadone.I,ve been on 30mgX3 daily for over 2 years.I hate taking drugs every day and have often wished to quit.Has anyone had any experience with stopping Methadone by tapering or something?Jack Beanstalk
    mate im tapering down off meth, i was on 60mg and droped 5mg every week or two, iv been on 15mg for last 4days and i can feel the difrence to be honest, i feel like ******************** at night and my appatite has gone and my sleep is a few hours a night or in day, i just want to b normal and like you not take any thing at all, so it can b done just take it slow! i think iv rushed it a bit. iv been on it for 6month before that i was on h for 2 years. its all about what you want at end of day mate i want to live my life free of any medication and just have to be strong, in the next week or the one after i will drop another 5mg, then i have been advised to drop 1mg or 2mg a week or for how long it takes i thought about going back up to 20mg, that was a comfort zone for me but no if you want off it for real you have to do it, its all mentely in the head as well and believe it and i knowi can get off it with out re-hab

BMFANDY is offline New Member

Smile be strong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TISH View Post
    I HAVE BEEN ON METHADONE FOR YEARS AND BEFORE THAT OTHER PAIN MEDS.
    12 DAYS AGO I STOPPED. IT IS VERY HARD, i FINALLY CALLED MY DR. AND GOT SOME XANAX TO HELP ME SLEEP. BUT, WE CAN DO THIS RIGHT. I HAVE A VERY SUPPORTIVE FAMILY THAT LOVES ME. EVEN IF THIS DOES TAKE 4TO 5 WEEKS LIKE THEY SAY IT DOES IT IS EITHER THIS OR BACK ON THE DRUGS AND I AM TIRED OF THE DRUGS HAVING CONTROL OVER ME. IT KILLS ME NOT HAVING THE ENERGY TO EVEN HELP WITH HOUSE WORK OR BATHE MY LITTLE GIRL BUT THINK OF THE REWARDS WHEN IT IS OVER!!!! THAT IS THE HARDEST PART FOR ME IS NOT FEELING LIKE MOVING. DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET BACK TO FEELING NORMAL I CAN HANDLE ANYTHING IF I HAVE A TIME FRAME. AND THINK OF ALL THE MONEY YOU CAN SAVE IF YOU GET OFF THIS ********************!!!!! SOME WORDS OF ENCOURAGMENT PLEASE!!!!

TRICIA MICHAEL
    hi well m in the same boat as you im still on meth atmo 15mg and droping 5mg this week or week after and i cant b bothered to do nothing i just want to lie there all day and do nothing i cant b bothered to walk mydog proper but i do we get to go to gym 3 times aweek and just getting theres a mission but once im there and doing sumthing it feels good and normal i come off h once on my own with no help and what did it for me was going in a sana and warm baths used to have 3 4 a night and it comes out of you took a few days but it worked but like a d i went back on it for bein 1yer clean then i been on h for 2 year lost everything managed to keep my job just! been on methadone for 6month now and im sick of it and we need to be strong i know i can do it again so can you think positive and your better than that you have your family mine dont know but i go to this suport group and the dude who dose it believe in you and tells me i can do it your stronger than that and yeah hell yeah i am stronger than some artifishale drug. i just want my appatite back and feel free and not lazy so you kow what to do get up an get sumthing done take your mind off the bull and try an sleep normal coz you dont want to cross adict with sleepers i want o go docs and get sum imust get few hours every night or in day wake up feeling worse its like hard to make a coffee and when i finaly get up and get 1 its back and lie down its been a while since i felt right but i know its there round the corner and when that day comes you know it you just do and the best thing ever knowing yur not dependent on any thing so be strong and you can do it

rrono is offline New Member

Default taper off

HI Im tapering off at 2 mg every week. I've been on methadone for one year. I was at 80 mg when I started. I dropped down to 60 after the first month or so. Then I worked down to 40 at six months. The problem I was having was not being able to talk directly to the doctor. I had to have my counselor be a go through for me. And that alone involves time, he said, she said. Along with misinterpretation. Anyway, I probably got down to 40 and then it was back on me because I started chipping. But then I got serious again, and eventually got to 30 got into a 12 step group and followed my sponsors advice which was to listen to the doctor, who recommended 2 mg a week last week at 20 mg. I had three take-homes and drank extra with the first two bottles. So on the third day I only had half a bottle, my stomach had been bothering me for about four days. I drank half that bottle and wasn't sure if I came down with the flu or if it was the methadone it took three days to either get over the flu, which had been going around or get my system back on track, because I played with the take homes and didn't follow doctor's orders. So now I'm at 18 and I don't get my check until the third. So the clinic will fee-tox me for the first second and third day of August, unless I can pay the fee earlier. and today was the day to pick up my 3 take homes, which I didn't get because I'll start fee-tox tomorrow so my experience isn't over yet. I think a lot of methadone patients, and this is my experience and what I've seen are up in the 120 140 mg range and runaround taking Klonopin and what ever else and those people can't believe I'm at 18 mg of course there's different levels of addiction. Some use longer some used more, but the bottom line. I think you can lower your use of methadone and in a lot of cases get off completely. it's a struggle. It takes work, but there is help! I will post more info in the future July 31st 2009
    Last edited by rrono; 08-01-2009 at 02:08 AM. Reason: I didnt edit it well the first time around
    sweetholly likes this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by rrono View Post
    HI Im tapering off at 2 mg every week. I've been on methadone for one year. I was at 80 mg when I started. I dropped down to 60 after the first month or so. Then I worked down to 40 at six months. The problem I was having was not being able to talk directly to the doctor. I had to have my counselor be a go through for me. And that alone involves time, he said, she said. Along with misinterpretation. Anyway, I probably got down to 40 and then it was back on me because I started chipping. But then I got serious again, and eventually got to 30 got into a 12 step group and followed my sponsors advice which was to listen to the doctor, who recommended 2 mg a week last week at 20 mg. I had three take-homes and drank extra with the first two bottles. So on the third day I only had half a bottle, my stomach had been bothering me for about four days. I drank half that bottle and wasn't sure if I came down with the flu or if it was the methadone it took three days to either get over the flu, which had been going around or get my system back on track, because I played with the take homes and didn't follow doctor's orders. So now I'm at 18 and I don't get my check until the third. So the clinic will fee-tox me for the first second and third day of August, unless I can pay the fee earlier. and today was the day to pick up my 3 take homes, which I didn't get because I'll start fee-tox tomorrow so my experience isn't over yet. I think a lot of methadone patients, and this is my experience and what I've seen are up in the 120 140 mg range and runaround taking Klonopin and what ever else and those people can't believe I'm at 18 mg of course there's different levels of addiction. Some use longer some used more, but the bottom line. I think you can lower your use of methadone and in a lot of cases get off completely. it's a struggle. It takes work, but there is help! I will post more info in the future July 31st 2009

Congratulations on your success. You should be proud of yourself. You can make it tapering down off methadone as long as you do it very slowly. Take it all the way down to zero and you'll have no bad w/d problems. Don't jump off at any dose until you hit the very bottom.

You do have the suboxone option being under 30mg now. You can taper more quickly with subs as long as a person tapers and doesn't stay on them a long time. You would do great considering your history in recovery.

I wouldn't try to convince you either way. You're doing well now, there could be a way to do it a little quicker without suffering in the process. There is an option for you to choose from.

You should read around the forum a little before deciding and ask questions. Also talk to intelmetal. He has an active thread and I'm sure he'll reply here as well. He is the most recent success story of methadone to subs to being clean on this forum. Also read the following link. This is how I base my suggestions if you were to use subs. Either way let me know if I can help. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    Last edited by Robert_325; 08-01-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

jdaviscpd is offline New Member

Default Methadone Detox

Ive read alot of the posts about coming off of methadone.. as an addict, I know what its like. Its perhaps, definitly is, the hardest drug to come off of and takes time. After a fentanyl and dilaudid addiction I went to a methadone clinic. I was quickly up to around 130mgs, and frequently supplemented that dose with what the guy outside the clinic was selling. When I made the decision to taper it was tough. Mentally more that anything. I wish they would have done a blind taper.. where you dont know the dose you are getting. But I couldnt do it. Inevitabely >> be taking more again. I found that for me.. the best route was to enter a detox facility for 30 days rehab. I was lucky enough to have health insurance so it was an option. Suboxone was used for the withdrawals and I slowly tapered off of that, as I felt that to stay on the suboxone would just be one drug for the other. In retrospect that was a bad idea. Methadone has a long half life (96 hours+) so it really stays in the system. I can take quite some time for someone who has been on it for a while is feeling "normal" with it or suboxone. Again, I know finances and insurance are in issue for alot of folks. Another thing that I didnt do was get involved in a twelve-step group where I could share in the support and experience of other addicts. I almost immediately started substituting for the lack of methadone by drinking heavily. Then I threw the Benzo's in there to boot (Xanax, Valium). Well I eventually went off the deep end and went into rehab again. This time without health insurance. There are places to go if you are not insured. It takes some time to find them but many are just as good if not better than other "nicer" facilities. For me.. getting off of a drug has always been an all or nothing decision. Tapering never worked for me. I applaud those here who are and that its working. However, if the going gets tough.. check into a facility.. find one thats affordable if you arent insured. All states have state funded facilities. And watch for the cross addiction thing too.. that was my problem. Gladly now, I'm off of the benzos and the booze and my body feels normal now without drugs. I still get anxious and get cravings occasionaly but it feels good to be clean. In the detox center.. I found out that many people were mixing alcohol and methadone like I was. Or moving onto alcohol afterwards. Dont make that mistake. I actually found myself having withdrawal symptoms that felt like I was coming off dope when I didnt drink.. thank god no DT's but it was just a matter of time. For today.. I feel good. Good luck to all you guys and gals struggling with this.. its a hell of a battle but it does get better.. you will feel better. In a 3am narcotic, restless leg syndrome hell it sure doesnt feel that way, but it does. Just wanted to share my methadone experience. Hope it helps someone..
    Jim

bev49 is offline Banned

I envy anyone who can successfully get off methadone by tapering completely. In my opinion, it is almost impossible. I was on methadone for a VERY long time, years and years. They never encouraged getting off though I can't blame them. I never asked either. I tapered from 80 mgs. to 25 mgs. but that took about 2 years to do. I was on 25 for several years when I heard about subutex. I won't say its a miracle drug because it is an opiate but man, its pretty close. After 30 years going to a clinic, only once a week for the last many eyars, but still, with the stigma involved and the hassle of being late for work and having to follow arbitrary rules, I really wanted off. I couldn't image the withdrawal of methadone. I had seen people attempt it. A very few succeeded, many switched to alcohol or pills to replace the meth. I saw a girl try the rapid detox method and almost drop dead. For me, at 25 mgs meth I made the switch to subutex. Started at 16 mgs. a day which was way too high. Couldn't sleep and had alot of anxiety. With sub, less is more. I brought myself down to 8 then 4 rather quickly. Then went down to 2 mgs. and am currently at 1 mg. a day. Thinking hard about making the final leap. Every time I see the name Robert my brain gets active. It tellls me "just do it".... I'm a scaredy cat so I'm holding off but man, taking 1/2 a pill that I get from a private doctor beats going to a meth clinic any day. Having said that I give anyone who can taper meth all the credit in the world. To second Robert, read Intelmetal. I admire and envy him so very much. He went from meth to sub to nothing and is nothing short of an inspiration.

jiekma is offline New Member

Smile The best prescription for the treatment of diseases ......

Watched a video today, I was shocked! It turned out that the world has such a secret ...... Perhaps you have not see the edge, take a look, ah, a certain benefit! Online Views: www.myciaic.com

mamaburk is offline New Member

Default 96 hours now.....

ok im 25 yrs old and have been on methadone for almost 4 years. i started at a high amount over 125 a day. after2 yrs got sick of the dependancy my children and husband saw changes in me i didnt like. so over this last yr i have went from 125+ to only 5 mg a day. its been just about 96 hours since i have had any and im feeling ok my mind is the worst butim staying positive and looking towards the future knowing it will be worth it. i am at a bbreaking point i guess you could say and just dont wanna do it anymore. so im a lil nervous of what the next few days will be like after reading all of this if anyone has any advice i am anxiously awaiting to hear from you, i actually got up and went to work today and did ok but substiteded with energy drinks which seem to help a lil. the vitamins only kind, i have been told keeping lots of vitamins in you will help your body clean itself faster. anyway thanks for listening and hope to hear from someone soon. thank you

I would taper all the way down to zero. Down to 0mg period! You can do liquid at really small doses if necessary but if you persist in stopping cold even at 5mg you will likely have significant w/d symptoms for some time.

You're not even getting started yet. They could last for a good while. Let us know how we can help you.

You're not finishing off right what you did a fantastic job at getting here. Why change things now? God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I would taper all the way down to zero. Down to 0mg period! You can do liquid at really small doses if necessary but if you persist in stopping cold even at 5mg you will likely have significant w/d symptoms for some time.

You're not even getting started yet. They could last for a good while. Let us know how we can help you.

You're not finishing off right what you did a fantastic job at getting here. Why change things now? God bless.
    so what should i do try and see what happens? im getting very discouraged and was feeling very good about things today and now im feeling like i wil fail for sure!

Methadone has a huge half life. It lingers almost forever so it can be a few days before w/d really hits. You should get back stable at 5mg, maybe even 4mg, but get stable again and resume a slow taper. That's my best advice.

You could switch to suboxne which is a little quicker taper but being at only 5mg now I would stick it out where you are. It won't be that much longer.

You should only reduce about 15% of your dose every couple weeks before doing it again. So it takes an extra month or so. What difference does it make if you do it without getting all sick and feeling so badly? Good luck and God bless.

Methadone has a huge half life. It lingers almost forever so it can be a few days before w/d really hits. You should get back stable at 5mg, maybe even 4mg, but get stable again and resume a slow taper. That's my best advice.

You could switch to suboxne which is a little quicker taper but being at only 5mg now I would stick it out where you are. It won't be that much longer.

You should only reduce about 15% of your dose every couple weeks before doing it again. So it takes an extra month or so. What difference does it make if you do it without getting all sick and feeling so badly? Good luck and God bless.
    see i dropped drastically in the last 2 months i went straght from 40 in 2 wks to 20 and been at 5 mg for almost a month now. i did great cutting down no probs really i was surprised so i thought this would be best since i have done so well.. thank you for taking time to reply you will never know how much i appreciate it im feeling alil alone right now as you can imagine. not alot of support and i trust no one so here i ended up searching for answers!lol! anyway thanks and any other advice or any ideas or ways to ease it a bit ill gladly take! thank you again

bev49 is offline Banned

I have to agree with Robert. Coming off 5 mg. methadone after being on for 4 years is going to be extremely difficult. If you can do it, more power to you. You didn't mention if you got it from a clinic or not. If yes, they can detox you to 4, 3, 2 and then 1... It has to be done slowly. Methadone is VERY hard to detox from. Probably the hardest drug of all. If subutex isn't an option, try to detox below the 5 mgs. Save yourself the misery.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bev49 View Post
    I have to agree with Robert. Coming off 5 mg. methadone after being on for 4 years is going to be extremely difficult. If you can do it, more power to you. You didn't mention if you got it from a clinic or not. If yes, they can detox you to 4, 3, 2 and then 1... It has to be done slowly. Methadone is VERY hard to detox from. Probably the hardest drug of all. If subutex isn't an option, try to detox below the 5 mgs. Save yourself the misery.
    thanks for the comments im holding in there so far and trying to stay strong. a friend of mine also did this cold turkey after reaching 5 and stayin there for a minute and when it got real bad would take only a mg or so just to ease up on it worked ok for her. also i have heard that taking benzos help with the withdrawls and make them much more manageable.. i am pretty stubborn and am ready to be done. so i thought i was doing ok but feeling pretty ********py i have had benzos called in for me and am curious if anyone has tried that. >> like to do it without taking anymore methadone im sure everyone would! only if it were that easy huh?!lol anyway again thank you im looking forward to more suggestions and REALLY appreciate your advice alot

Mixing benzos and methadone can be dangerous. Taper off the methadone and be safe. Good luck and God bless.

Mixing benzos and methadone can be dangerous. Taper off the methadone and be safe. Good luck and God bless.
    thanks robert!!!! i think i wil go that route i will try a lil longer and see but im getting very anxious and really sick at my stomache right now.. and with children and my husband works as well i need to be ok! thank you again....

Quote Originally Posted by mamaburk View Post
    thanks robert!!!! i think i wil go that route i will try a lil longer and see but im getting very anxious and really sick at my stomache right now.. and with children and my husband works as well i need to be ok! thank you again....
    ok im feeling like a total annoyance for non stop posting so my apologies for doing so. as with my previous post everyone has replied saying tapering is the best wa. as im hitting in the 100th hour or so im feeling not so good lets just say that. i have shown my husband this site and he seems convinced that if i take any now ill be taking a step back. now my husband is very supportive and proub at my so far attempt to do this on my own... but im feeling very confused and depressed not real sure what to do at this point!!!! its making it worse cuz im stressing myself half to death!!! my chest is hurting my heart feels like its gonna beat outta my chest at the slightest stress. hard to breathe a lil. only been this way for a few hours now and from my understanding this is only the beginning!! anyway gonna try to figure this mess out thanks for listening!

intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Default Methadone

Mamaburk, I cannot believe that I have not noticed your recent posts. I should have jumped at the chance to help you out much sooner. First of all I would like to say GREAT JOB ! Your tapering down to 5mgs of methadone on your own is VERY impressive ! You are a determined lady, let me tell you. I have a similar history, and so does Bev49. Also purpledog the kiwi. All 3 of us are way too familiar with the bondage of methadone. The good news is, we are all willing to help you in any way possible ( sorry Bev and Purple for speaking on your behalf ). I think Robert gave you some solid advice on doing a taper off the methadone. Even if you get the 10mg pills, there is a way to cut them up into accurate doses. I would get back on 4mgs a day for 2 weeks, then drop to 3mgs for 2 weeks, 2mgs/2 weeks, 1mg/2 weeks, 1mg every other day for 2 weeks. At this point you could just stop cold turkey. It is important to take your vitamin/mineral supplement starting ASAP, if you have not already. Take Immodium AD for tummy if needed (this alone could cut symptoms in half), exercise, exercise, exercise ! Even if it is just walking in the morning and/or evening. Once you finish up and feel any fatigue, try a mocha frap with whip cream ( Starbucks ). It has a 2 pronged attack on fatigue. First of all, it has caffeine to pick you up and secondly, the chocolate taste will kick off your endorphin production. At least that has been my experience, just don't wait to late in the day as it might effect your ability to get good sleep. I find that about 2 hours after eating lunch is best.
    I wish you the best of luck ! You are a winner already.
    IWANTOUT

to live my life and to be free !

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by intelmetal View Post
    Mamaburk, I cannot believe that I have not noticed your recent posts. I should have jumped at the chance to help you out much sooner. First of all I would like to say GREAT JOB ! Your tapering down to 5mgs of methadone on your own is VERY impressive ! You are a determined lady, let me tell you. I have a similar history, and so does Bev49. Also purpledog the kiwi. All 3 of us are way too familiar with the bondage of methadone. The good news is, we are all willing to help you in any way possible ( sorry Bev and Purple for speaking on your behalf ). I think Robert gave you some solid advice on doing a taper off the methadone. Even if you get the 10mg pills, there is a way to cut them up into accurate doses. I would get back on 4mgs a day for 2 weeks, then drop to 3mgs for 2 weeks, 2mgs/2 weeks, 1mg/2 weeks, 1mg every other day for 2 weeks. At this point you could just stop cold turkey. It is important to take your vitamin/mineral supplement starting ASAP, if you have not already. Take Immodium AD for tummy if needed (this alone could cut symptoms in half), exercise, exercise, exercise ! Even if it is just walking in the morning and/or evening. Once you finish up and feel any fatigue, try a mocha frap with whip cream ( Starbucks ). It has a 2 pronged attack on fatigue. First of all, it has caffeine to pick you up and secondly, the chocolate taste will kick off your endorphin production. At least that has been my experience, just don't wait to late in the day as it might effect your ability to get good sleep. I find that about 2 hours after eating lunch is best.
    I wish you the best of luck ! You are a winner already.
    IWANTOUT

to live my life and to be free !
    thank you so much for your advice!!!! its greatly appreciated! im new to this site so not sure who everyone is and what to do i just felt lost and started posting! im a functioning addict as they call it.. i work i raise kids im a wife and no one really konws other than my husband! anyway last night got so terrible i thought i was gonn ahave a heart attack! im such a stubborn person and tried on my own and my husband was ready to call 911.. it was the worst i had ever felt. my chest hurt so bad i was feeling to weak to talk and couldnt breathe it was BIZZARE to say the least,...the hardest thing about all this is i have 3 children and no family to help with them ever so its hard or i would just check into rehab but i cant so im gonna do it on my own...i know i can im just feeling discouraged i hate that this has a hold on me! it happened at a time in my life that i wont bother describing because you wouldnt believe it lol.. i just WANT TO BE FREE OF THIS ********ING NIGHTMARE...sorry for the language! anyway i took 2mg last night when i reached a point where i couldnt stand it and my husband couldnt watch anymore..so it made it better i guess anyway ill wrap this up ill be in and out and can always be reached via email i have it on my cell phone... anyway thank you so very much i am so happy at the support from people i dont know.. didnt realize there was such a thing since this drug has trained my mind to believe im alone... thank you i look forward to hearing from you soon

drugfreeme3 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bev49 View Post
    I envy anyone who can successfully get off methadone by tapering completely. In my opinion, it is almost impossible. I was on methadone for a VERY long time, years and years. They never encouraged getting off though I can't blame them. I never asked either. I tapered from 80 mgs. to 25 mgs. but that took about 2 years to do. I was on 25 for several years when I heard about subutex. I won't say its a miracle drug because it is an opiate but man, its pretty close. After 30 years going to a clinic, only once a week for the last many eyars, but still, with the stigma involved and the hassle of being late for work and having to follow arbitrary rules, I really wanted off. I couldn't image the withdrawal of methadone. I had seen people attempt it. A very few succeeded, many switched to alcohol or pills to replace the meth. I saw a girl try the rapid detox method and almost drop dead. For me, at 25 mgs meth I made the switch to subutex. Started at 16 mgs. a day which was way too high. Couldn't sleep and had alot of anxiety. With sub, less is more. I brought myself down to 8 then 4 rather quickly. Then went down to 2 mgs. and am currently at 1 mg. a day. Thinking hard about making the final leap. Every time I see the name Robert my brain gets active. It tellls me "just do it".... I'm a scaredy cat so I'm holding off but man, taking 1/2 a pill that I get from a private doctor beats going to a meth clinic any day. Having said that I give anyone who can taper meth all the credit in the world. To second Robert, read Intelmetal. I admire and envy him so very much. He went from meth to sub to nothing and is nothing short of an inspiration.
    I was on methadone for three years. At the time it was my last resort to stop using >>>>>>. I went from perks,vics,oxys, any pill really to >>>>>>(shooting it). After 3 years there I couldnt take going there anymore. I started tapering from 90mg to 65mg. I finally got so fed up with going to the drug infested clinic with trashy people I just stoped going and went onto suboxone. Absolutly the wrong way to go from meth to subs but I was desperate and fed up. DONT EVER DO WHAT I DID!!!!(TO ALL) I am curently on 1mg of suboxone myself. I am trying so hard to get off of it. I am deathly afraid. Its a safety net for me right now but I want off so bad. I have tried taking it every other day but the dts suck and I hate that feeling. And on top of all of this I have had such horrible cravings all day everyday. I dont use but my mind is obsessed with it lately. I have a pill obsession at the moment. Ill take a tylenol to feed into the pill obsession or a vitamin. This is crazy. Hopefully it goes away. But I understand where you are at and am happy to see its not just me at 1mg and scared to go off. keep in touch. You made me feel better. I too admire those who were able to succesfully taper off methadone!
    ~Lindsey

bev49 is offline Banned

Mama, I don't understand why you are torturing yourself trying to kick at 5 mg. when you can taper further. This is just my opinion but when you're that sick, with your heart beating out of your chest, etc., you're setting yourself up for failure. Break it down exactly the way Intel told you to. As he said, when it comes to methadone, kiwi (purpledog) Intel and I are the experts (unfortunate thing to be an "expert" at, but its the truth). When it comes to suboxone, Robert is No. 1 man. You need to come off methadone slowly, down 1 mg. at a time with a couple of weeks at each dose. You chance for success will be so much more if you do it that way. Don't worry about your hubby thinking its a step backwards. He will be happy with the results and thats the main thing. I just know I would not want to suffer if there was an alternative.

Lindsay, I also shot >>>>>> (for 10 years or more) and got on a methadone program. I understand what you mean about the atmosphere, but I just came and left, didnt involve myself with who was there, eventually got to a 1x a week pick up schedule so the clinic stigma was minimal. Jumping to sub at 65 mgs. meth might be the whole problem. You started in such a wrong way. I am also down to approx 1 mg. sub now, (.80) and I feel fine. Maybe the difference is the way we inducted. Speak to Robert, he's the sub expert and he'll get you feeling better.

thanks bev im taking the advice and going to have to taper even though i took 2 mg last night and 2mg a hour ago i still feel bad from it all so hopefully tomorrow i will feel back to "normal" and start this the right way if there is such a thing... i will check in a few times a day and let you know how its working... and out of curiousity has anyone tapered successfully? or anyone that you know without the subs and stuff. no big deal just curious... also tapering will keep the withdrawls to a minimum right?
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-09-2012 at 04:34 PM.

jc1974 is offline New Member

Wink You can do it

It took me a while to figure out the best way to taper my dose. Most importantly, and this is only for women, the easiest time to come down more than 1 or 2 mgs. is right after your period. The drop can go almost unnoticed. As your cycle progresses, your sensitivity to the drop increases. I suggest 3-4 mgs. right after your period. 2mgs the next week, and then 1 mg. a week until your period, and so on and so on. Also, acupuncture was very helpful for me. Finally, the unsung hero of detoxing off any opiate......Benadryl. It helps w/ anxiety, restlessness and sleeplessness. If you have a primary care physician who knows you're on methadone and are trying to get off, ask for a small prescription of Xanax - like .25 mgs. Most importantly, make sure you're ready, and that the discomfort is worth the ultimate reward. If you are on a private program, they will not support your getting off...in most cases, you are just a dollar sign to them. Best of luck to any and all who read this.

Love and prayers to everyone

summertime4me is offline Member

Question Help from Robert and All, please

Summary of Situation:

I will be assisting my 28 year old daughter with her 5 month old baby as she makes the switch from 30 mg. methadone to subutex at the end of this next week. She switched from >>>>>> to suboxone to methadone on medical advice while pregnant. Delivered a beautiful, healthy baby and now wants and needs to come off of all drugs. She has decreased her dose 50% in 5 months, but there is a legal need to hurry up the process to zero and the clinic will allow only 5 mg. drops after much bureaucratic delaying of the process--that's how they hook people for the rest of their lives.

We have read around lots of the forums for a couple of weeks and we are really encouraged by the time Robert and others devote to helping people in need. Honestly, this is the only place that we have seen real information and support provided, person to person, at their time of need. Hospitals and detox facilities just will not deal with someone coming off methadone. All said that they would take her in after day 5 and we don't have money like that. Thanks to Robert, we understand that it is possible to make the transition with preparation and determination.

Questions:

Some sites and people have indicated that it will be 4 -5 days before she feels the full effects of withdrawal. We have downloaded and printed the COWS sheet and my husband and I will be scoring her symptoms until she reaches 26 and can have the first 2 mg. subutex (or less, to test the waters) and then increase every 2 hours to the point of being withdrawal symptom-less.

Robert, in your experience, will it take 4-5 days to get to that point for her? We are trying to plan our days off work around this and include next weekend. I realize that you cannot say for sure, since everyone's metabolism works differently and she will be working out and using the sauna at the gym as much as she is able.

She has embraced her new life with her baby 110% and is determined to continue on this new healthy, positive path for herself.

Any positive tips and comments would be appreciated from everyone, but nothing about how hard it is going to be for her, or how almost no one ever gets off of methadone--we are all well aware of all that and choose to stay in the positive, while preparing for the difficulties ahead with knowledge, RX, OTC meds and exercise and now, the positive, real-time support of this site.

Thank you to all!

I will be more than happy to help your daughter. I'm especially excited knowing it will help her little baby get her momma back. Coming off methadone it normally takes approximately 72 hours before reaching a 26 score on the COWS worksheet for the suboxone induction process to begin properly. It may be 60 hours, it may be 48 hours, but the important factor is her reaching a 26 on the COWS worksheet. That's what matters. We can not use a calender. She will be ready when she's ready. That's the most honest answer I can give you.

I usually talk about 72 hours as that is how long it normally takes, but other than that the 72 hour figure means nothing to me. I would love to help turn a new mom's life around so she can be all that baby needs for a prosperous and loving life.

Let me know when she takes her last dose of methadone and we will make plans accordingly. All I ask is that she be naive enough to follow instructions. If she will follow my advice I give you my word we'll get her clean totally. I do this every single day.

Let me know when you guys are ready. You're all in my prayers. God bless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast