Changes to prescribed pain medications?
    dalejrfan71 is offline Member

Default Changes to prescribed pain medications?

Thanks to these addicts I couldn't get a refill on the short acting narcotic medication Dilaudid. My doctor feels bad about that but it's not his fault or my fault either. I use my medication carefully because I am scared of becoming an addict.

Right now I am taking Hydromorph Contin, a long acting narcotic medication for my pain. It doesn't take away the breakthrough pain I experience daily. The worst of my pain is in my lower back and my hips.

What they should do about the problem with people abusing these meds is have the doctors who have patients who are prescribed narcotic pain medications, is go through the patients files and see how many patients go through their medications faster than the patients who take them as prescibed. Then weed out the abusers of these meds, then for the patients who have a genuine need for these meds give them a card similar to a drivers license stating that these patients need opiate medications for chronic pain relief.

Unfortunately it took the deaths of Michael Jackson and Heath Ledger to take a look at how bad the abuse of these opiate pain medications. Because of these people who abuse narcotic pain meds makes it harder for people like me who genuinely need these meds for pain relief.
    If you want to live life on your own terms,
    You got to be willing to crash and burn

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

Michael jackson did not die of opiate addiction. He did not have any opiates in his system when he died.

carolyn17603 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dalejrfan71 View Post
    Thanks to these addicts I couldn't get a refill on the short acting narcotic medication Dilaudid. My doctor feels bad about that but it's not his fault or my fault either. I use my medication carefully because I am scared of becoming an addict.

Right now I am taking Hydromorph Contin, a long acting narcotic medication for my pain. It doesn't take away the breakthrough pain I experience daily. The worst of my pain is in my lower back and my hips.

What they should do about the problem with people abusing these meds is have the doctors who have patients who are prescribed narcotic pain medications, is go through the patients files and see how many patients go through their medications faster than the patients who take them as prescibed. Then weed out the abusers of these meds, then for the patients who have a genuine need for these meds give them a card similar to a drivers license stating that these patients need opiate medications for chronic pain relief.

Unfortunately it took the deaths of Michael Jackson and Heath Ledger to take a look at how bad the abuse of these opiate pain medications. Because of these people who abuse narcotic pain meds makes it harder for people like me who genuinely need these meds for pain relief.
    Addicts are not the reason YOUR meds were not refilled. Obviosly something else is going on, a Dr does not just stop a medication that they originally prescribed you unless he sees something not right

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Thanks to these addicts I couldn't get a refill on the short acting narcotic medication Dilaudid?????????

Wow! DaleJrFan, you need to educate yourself about addiction - and take a good hard look at your own medication use. You have posted for months about how you have been moving from one narcotic to another, in ever increasing dosages, clearly the signs of "tolerance" of narcotic medications. I've seen you go through everything from percocet to oxys to hydromorph contin - and each time, you need something stronger. That's what happens with narcotics. That is tolerance. Tolerance is a *key* sign of addiction.

A card for the pharmacy saying it's OK to prescribe for some folks - and not others? Wow. That's rather foolish to consider. Most of us on this forum started out on a path of serious pain - that led us to legitimate narcotic prescriptions. In a short time, we needed more to gain the same pain relief. So our doctors "upped" the dose or moved to the next stronger drug. That pattern is what led most of us to addiction. It generally begins very innocently - but ends up in a horrific spot.

Don't judge addicts this way. It is the very nature of these drugs that leads us into addiction. They lend themselves toward addiction - period. No one else is to blame for your situation with prescriptions. You've already said that you found yourself taking more of the pills than was prescribed. YOU are on that slippery slope into addiction right now. Control is going to become more and more difficult.

God bless,
    Ruth

Pony girl is offline New Member

you are so right...addiction comes with the territory. if you take narcotics for legit pain eventually you will be dependant on them,

dalejrfan71 is offline Member

I am sorry for writing this post. I was only trying to figure out why people get addicted to these medications. Obviously I don't know what I am talking about. I opened my mouth and inserted my foot into my mouth.
    If you want to live life on your own terms,
    You got to be willing to crash and burn