Zetia
    helenabutterfly is offline New Member

Default Zetia

Zetia
    Generic Name: ezetimibe
    Treatment for: High Cholesterol

Have you taken or do you take Zetia?
    We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences.

Consumer Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/zetia.html

Professional Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/zetia.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-29-2008 at 01:28 AM.

doodles is offline New Member

I was given a sample of Zetia, but since I can't afford anymore medicine, I never took it. Lipitor was dangerous for me, so I can't take any cholesterol medicine - I totally gave up. Now that I hear you had bad results, maybe it was best that I didn't try it.

Doodles [xx(]

Jack2013 is offline New Member

Hi all. I just found this board and am thankful! I have been taking zetia for 9 days and I am having stomach and pharnyx problems. Extreme gas, and feel like I have swallowed lots of black pepper. I have tried to take all the statins and had adverse reaction to all. I have an inherited condition, hyperlipidemia, that causes my cholesterol to remain high, irregardless of diet and exercise. I don't know how much longer I can continue this zetia.

lane413 is offline Member

I have taken zetia and lipitor. Zetia caused me to have severe back pain and hurt my liver. My dr insist i continue to take it but i refuse. Lipitor put me in the hospital. it caused muscle pain, stomach ache and chest pain. I have lowered my cholestrol by 37 points by using Take Control spread and high fiber diet. my cholestrol is still too high tc298..ldl212..hdl 51 trigs 175. I have started using red wine vinegar in the am to help also lower my cholesterol.
    C

pedrph is offline New Member

boy am i glad to hear that Zetia is probably the drug causing the extreme stomach upset along with acid going up my esophagus. I started Zetia 4 days ago. Statins cause pain in muscles. Cholesterol is 299 with LDL 199. Angiogram shows no blockage and spiral CT found no calcium deposits. Zetia caused horrible stomach pain with burning and actually enough acid (even taking Nexium) to cause me to choke and have trouble speaking. NO MORE ZETIA for me.

Thanks, Melanie

Melanie Baker, PharmD

I am taking artichoke extract and minute maid heart wise o.j. and take control to help me lower my cholesterol. Unfortunately, my dr gave me hctz to help with my blood pressure. Thiazides can increase cholesterol and glucose.

ganaste44 is offline New Member

I wrote a post a few days ago about my doc giving me Zetia samples asking for info. I can't take statins at all. I'm glad I read all of your posts before taking this Zetia. Sounds like more problems than the Lipitor or Zocor that I have already tried. I think I will write down all of your advice about artichoke extract & other alternative, natural combinations & speak with someone at the health food store. I did try to drink 2 to 4 oz of red wine a night but I'm not a drinker so that didn't last long. I'm so glad that this forum exists & that I happened to stumble upon it when I did. I'd be lost without it. Have any of you had good results on Zetia? No side effects? Just want to know. [?]
    Thanx All,
    Rhea [:0]

UPDATE... I recently read an article that stated pomegrante juice or fruit is a very good cholesterol reducer. I'm trying it also to my diet. My new blood results were much better. My tc went from 298 to 200 since 4/19, now i have alittle more to go. It looks like the oatmeal, low fat, high fiber, arthichoke extract, take control spread, minute maid o.j. really worked for me.

I also stopped the hctz bp med.

rula61 is offline New Member

my brother has been on zetia for six weeks and 5 days ago he went cold turkey because his symptoms on zetia were extreme fatigue, extreme weakness, shortness of breath, and barely being able to function. He has not gotten any better and perhaps a little worse. Does anyone know if there are withdrawal symptoms from zetia and how long does it take for them to get out of your system. I'm very, very concerned.

lmroth is offline New Member

My physician increased my daily dose of zocor from 20 mg to 40 mg and wanted to again increase it to 80 mg. At the 40 mg level, I began noticing hip and leg pain, very sharp, stabbing pains. I refused to accept the 80 mg increase, suspecting that the increase from 20 mg to 40 mg was the cause of the discomfort. Therefore, Zetia was described as an alternative and I've taken it for six days, having withdrawn it two days ago, due to continued and worsening muscle discomfort in the hip and legs. The pain has now extended to my right hip and leg, making walking painful, and bending and stooping almost impossible. Also, I am now experience jabbing pains as I rest and sit.

zetia works from the gut, not the liver, but i've had back pain in the liver region. Also, i was not able to walk very well either. I learned that the hctz caused my cholesterol problem and since have stopped the hctz. My cholesterol dropped from 337 to 243. With diet and continuing exercise (3mils daily) i should be well under 200.

Here are the things i've tried other than exercise: take control, artichoke extract, minute maid oj cholesterol reducer, fish oil, vit. c, ponegrantes & juice, garden burgers and purple grapes(instead of wine)

Bogie is offline New Member

I have been taking Zetia for 4 months now. The only thing I notice is GAS. I have lots of extra gas. I take 10mgs daily. I don't seem to have any other side effects.....that I can feel. I tried the Statins......I could barley walk, because of muscle and knee pain. It did reduce my chol some. I also take a few supplements to help kick it down. I wish they would not tell us that EVERYONE must have the same level. Not a fair statement. Good luck!!

Please and Thanx, Bogie

Howard Lefkowitz is offline New Member

I started Zetia about two weeks ago. After 4-5 years of Lipitor I developed severe leg muscle pains and stopped taking it 2 months ago. Pains were nearly gone and my Doctor prescribed Zetia. Leg muscle pains have started again and seem to be getting worse. After reading the posts below I assume that Zetia may be the cause. I will stop taking it today. My cholesterol total went from 145 to 210 with the LDL going from 80 to 126 when I stopped the Lipitor. I am 72. Is there any cholesterol reduction drug that does not have this side effect?

DanS is offline New Member

I've taken Zetia for about eight months. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. In fact, I like it because it is so small. I also take Tricor. I just found out that it is not recommended to take Zetia with Tricor. Is anyone else taking this combination? I've read that when taken together they may cause gallstones.

Thanks, Dan

harrison156 is offline New Member

I have been taking Zetia for about a week.I take it after dinner.for 3 or 4 hours after taking it my heart feels like it is vibrating and some skipped beats.Does anyone else have this symptom? The next day I am fine util I take Zetia again.Did not take it tonight and no vibrating. I will take it tomorrow night and see what happens.I also take it with liptor.

I have been taking zetia for about a week. I take it after dinner.For three or four hours after I take it it is like my heart is vibrating.I never have that feeling during the day. Tonight I did not take zetia and no vibrating or skipped beats. Has anyone else had this.I will take it tomorrow night and see what happens.

bellmarie is offline New Member

Hi all, I am writing on behalf of my 50 yr. old sister. As a result of her borderline high cholesterol, Dr. put her on Zetia. She took it for 10 days and subsequently broke out in a severe, itchy, itchy rash, nearly from chest to feet. In fact, she has itched herself to the point of bruising! Dr. took her off of Zetia and no relief as of yet (2 weeks later). She went to a dermatologist who took her off of every type of medication (from zetia to tylenol, she is to take nothing at all) to clear out her system. Dermatologist prescribed massive doses of predinsone and Eladil, but they have been no real help.
    Has anyone suffered similar symptoms such as my sis? She's miserable and we pinpoint her skin problem to the new medication, Zetia. Nothing else in her life had changed up to that point. Any response would be greatly appreciated!!

Cynthia M Bell

SELLWan is offline New Member

I have tried the statins which worked well but had severe skin reaction. Zetia caused severe muscle pain and weakness. I have eaten a low fat diet and exercised regularly for many years and my cholesterol is> 300. I am frustrated. I have tried fiber, fish oil, flax without success. I have just been placed on on Whelcol. See how thast goes. Any suggestions?

mmybois is offline New Member

as to using tricor with zetia and causing gallstones im not sure but my mom is on both(but she had her gallbladder removed). her triglerides were over 1200 when put on meds for it. she's down to around 300 now i think. she now takes 4 drugs for cholestrol and triglerides. they r ... zetia 10 mg, tricor 145 mg, crestor 20 mg, & omacor. so far so good. but high cholestrol runs in r family. several members have had their carotids done.

ladyneill56 is offline New Member

Thumbs down Zetia & Crestor = Bad News!

My doctor added Zetia to my Crestor prescription and within weeks my legs hurt so bad & I was so...tired. I stopped the Zetia and the pains went away immediately. It is so...important to stay on top of what the doctors prescribe.

Debbie at Bountiful is offline New Member

Default zetia and tricor

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    I've taken Zetia for about eight months. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. In fact, I like it because it is so small. I also take Tricor. I just found out that it is not recommended to take Zetia with Tricor. Is anyone else taking this combination? I've read that when taken together they may cause gallstones.

Thanks, Dan
    I too have taken zetia for several months with no problems except an unexplained 5 pounds that I think is from the zetia but anyway the doctor wanted the cholestrol number down further and prescribed tricor. I had a lot of trouble with the tricor. Terrible gas and my throat seemed swollen. I stopped the tricor on my own and just do the zetia. Originally my number was 249 and with zetia it went to 218 . With the tricor added the number went to 160 but could not handled the side effects.

Judy726 is offline New Member

Unhappy Zetia withdrawal?

I took Zetia and Welchol in combination for two weeks. My legs and knees were quite painful and I had bad stomach distress--acid, pain, gas. It has now been over two weeks since I stopped taking the Zetia and Welchol. I am to the point of using crutches to walk. My calf and hamstring muscles, especially in my left leg, are weak and don't feel stable while walking. I have also developed facial tics on the left side. I'm hoping this will abate...soon.

drboeh is offline New Member

Default Welchol

I just started taking welchol...will welchol have any effect on a pre-employment drug screen?

Clydenewc is offline New Member

Default Zetia causes Rhabdomyolysis - leg muscle damage

Some people are highly allergic to Statins and should NEVER put one in their mouth even with a doctors recommendation. I took one Zocor and the next morning my legs were so painful I could hardly walk. A year later, an alternate doctor recommended that I take Zetia and I told him that I could not take Statins. He said it had very little Statin and like a fool, I took his advice. After two weeks of taking 1/2 of a 10mg Zedia, I woke up unable to walk with accute pain in my calves. When I went to the ER they diagnoses it as Rhabdomyolysis - toxic poison build up in the calf muscles in my legs that damages and kills the muscles due to statin intake. Will I ever be able to walk normally again without a cane???? I am hoping that the toxic poison will gradually go away without too much permanent damage but who knows.

That's not the worst of it. Severe RM can be fatal due to Kidney failure, release of excess potassium from the muscle into the blood stream which can cause a fatal heart rhythm and excess bleeding due to changes in the blood's ability to form a clot.

Please be careful if you have any kind of leg, muscle or joint pain in the legs while taking Zetia or Statins. It's just not worth the risks.

This appears to all be a game the doctors and pharmaceuticals play. They lower the cholesterol levels so that they can prescribe more Statins to patients whose cholesterol was considered normal before they lower the standards, thus, selling more prescriptions of Statin drugs and making even more money than they deserve. We all know they are one of the largest businesses in the US with the largest profits.

I know some patients can tolerate Statins but I sure can't and didn't even need them until they lowered the standards. I am extremely upset to think that I might not ever be able to walk normally again.
    Last edited by Clydenewc; 06-26-2011 at 12:47 PM.