Results 1 to 24 of 24
Xanax XR
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default Xanax XR

    yay for xanax, it really helps me out so much. I just was prescribed Xanax XR by my doctor and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it? I have the 2 mg ones... kinda expensive though, no generics. SOOO-- let me know all your Xanax XR info!!
    Thanks,

    Susie

    Watch for sticks and stones
    Stumbling blocks in piles
    Life is one big road,
    Miles on top of miles
    So blessed be the soul,
    That always remains a child

  2. #2
    Sarah31 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Xanax XR is great!

    I've was on the peach 1/2 milligram pills for a long time. They were easy to abuse and I was always on an up and down roller coaster with my moods. I've been on Xanax XR for almost a year and I love it. One pill a day and I'm set. No panic attacks, no ups and downs. It is weird I haven't heard too much more about this one, since you only take it once a day.

    Anyone else on it??[]

  3. #3
    morticia is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    213

    Default

    xanax xr is GREAT im on 6 mg a day havent had any panic attacks in over a year and it is less addictive than reg xanax i fined it really saved my life !!!!

  4. #4
    Face is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Be extremely careful with Xanax and all other Benzodiazepines. They are easy to abuse and if you were taking a higher dose and do not taper very slowly off this drug you risk having a seizure. I had one this year. I was taking 2 to 5 blues a day. I entered a rehab facility to kick. Not fun.

  5. #5
    Patrick790 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    1

    Default

    i just wnt of xanex 4the first time in several years. I was taking at least three 1mg tabs a day, snorted4 immediate relief.my family doctor put me on Ativan. I have no history or experience with it. Will it last longer than xanex?( 1mgs t.i.d.).I have felt strange all day, but not really a withdrawl feeling. Withdrawl from benzos can be hell.So, is there really a difference between xanex and ativan. Anyone familiar with history on Ativan?..i.e.How long has it been around? How does it differenciate iteself from the other benzos? I appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks

  6. #6
    justwhatever is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    133

    Default

    i have been wondering about the sustained relief xanax for a while. i'm sure my shrink might go for it, i'd like to see how it compares. does everybody really think it works more effectively?

    ativan is very mellow, my experience was that it would keep w/ds away, but didn't cut it for me for panic attacks

    this forum is about helping and healing-- feel free to correct my mistakes

  7. #7
    miltownb is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I posted a similar topic about the comparison of regular Xanax and the XR... The thing is my insurance won't cover the XR's and they're really expensive about $43 for 15 of them, Ive learned regular Xanax tabs have a %100 absorbtion rate they hit you right away and then fade off while the XR's can last 8-12 hours depending on how you take them because their absorbtion rate is at 90% and your not supposed to split or crush them your supposed to take them whole. Somtimes I actually crush & swallow / snort my Xanax because I need it to work faster.
    So what I'm asking is are the XR's stronger and/or time released because somtimes I can't wait for them to kick in It's like a false sense of urgency that I can't control. And If I get the Xr's im affraid I might crush or snort those... would somthing bad happen to me if I did? I'm just not sure If I should try them or just stick with regular 2 mg bars that seem to work fine but the tolerance I'm building is making me sic of taking so many...which is why XR's might save me from the before mentioned roller coaster effect. If anyone going throught the same type of dillema I am please let me know if the expensive XR's are worth paying for thx!

  8. #8
    thebled88 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    , , USA.
    Posts
    7

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by miltownb

    I posted a similar topic about the comparison of regular Xanax and the XR... The thing is my insurance won't cover the XR's and they're really expensive about $43 for 15 of them, Ive learned regular Xanax tabs have a %100 absorbtion rate they hit you right away and then fade off while the XR's can last 8-12 hours depending on how you take them because their absorbtion rate is at 90% and your not supposed to split or crush them your supposed to take them whole. Somtimes I actually crush & swallow / snort my Xanax because I need it to work faster.
    So what I'm asking is are the XR's stronger and/or time released because somtimes I can't wait for them to kick in It's like a false sense of urgency that I can't control. And If I get the Xr's im affraid I might crush or snort those... would somthing bad happen to me if I did? I'm just not sure If I should try them or just stick with regular 2 mg bars that seem to work fine but the tolerance I'm building is making me sic of taking so many...which is why XR's might save me from the before mentioned roller coaster effect. If anyone going throught the same type of dillema I am please let me know if the expensive XR's are worth paying for thx!
    first off dont even try to buy the xanax XR tabs......there currently is a generic available....alprazolam extended release tabs is what u need....benzodiazepines have a very rapid build up of tolerance.....probably one of the quickest buildups out there.....dont know much about the efficacy of XR though...sorry

  9. #9
    Panamarod is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    , , USA.
    Posts
    6

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by Face

    Be extremely careful with Xanax and all other Benzodiazepines. They are easy to abuse and if you were taking a higher dose and do not taper very slowly off this drug you risk having a seizure. I had one this year. I was taking 2 to 5 blues a day. I entered a rehab facility to kick. Not fun.
    Rod

  10. #10
    castleranch is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default New to XR but many years on traditional xanax

    I have been taking xanax for panic disorder for over 20 years. It has been a life saver - literally! Over the years, many doctors have tried to convince me to try other meds, but my reply has always been "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". My dosage was always pretty small - 2-4 mg. per day, every day. Typically only 2 mg, unless it was a particularly bad day. I even took them through 2 pregnancies and have 2 amazing, and healthly teens!

    So that is my history...now my doc convinced me to try XR - being the same drug, I said sure, why not. He had me amp up tp 3 mg. per day (it's been almost 2 weeks now) and the panic is totally under control, BUT, I seem to be extremely tired all of the time and possibly a bit depressed...could this be related to something in the XR that the original xanax doesn't have?

    Oh, and by the way, thank god they did come out with a generic XR!

    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

    Bright blessings!

  11. #11
    sparkey is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    44

    Default

    I have been taking ativan for about 5 yrs now. I take 1 mg. before bed for restless leg syndrome. I have never taken it during the day or ever had any addiction to them in any way. Sometimes i would double up on the nights i feel like i could not sleep. But that is very rare that i take two. I have to say they do make you relaxed and for me it works very well to have a good night sleep. I could go days without if i had to, so not so addicting to me. Although everyone is different. Good luck.

  12. #12
    kianjackson is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default Xanax

    Hi all

    Is Xanax hard to get? Do i need a prescription from my doc as im in the USA. I thought this stuff was banned by the FDA?
    Thanks
    k

  13. #13
    maestro007 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default saved my life

    i had cronic migraines with aura. i would pace and my hands and chest would burn. suffered for 5 years. went to allergist then headache clinic for 2. The third time i was in the hospital and i was freakin out because i kept feeling like i was going to pass out from the pain..they gave me adavant to calm me down and everything went away! so i went to a physchologist and she put me on this..its been a year and i only get on edge every once in a while but that's life...Little concerned with the long term usage. By the way any one with a real problem like anxiety (which is what was causing my problems) would NEVER abuse their medication. because then they would run out and that would be hossible! So if you abuse them, you probably didn't need it to begin with. This medicine gave me my life back and i am happy unless i forget to take it.. only on 2mg per day but it is split up because i told my doctor it was too much. So now i take 1 mg in the morning and 1 at night..i have been pretty good for some time and have not built up a tolerence or anything..Jsut keeping on going. I would like to be able to control my mind enough to not need it and carefully quit one day but i am just enoying living pain free and keeping my sanity. There is nothing wrong with this drug that i can see.
    Last edited by maestro007; 08-18-2007 at 12:49 AM.

  14. #14
    JustSomeGuy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kianjackson View Post
    Hi all

    Is Xanax hard to get? Do i need a prescription from my doc as im in the USA. I thought this stuff was banned by the FDA?
    Thanks
    k
    Yes, you definitely need a prescription for Xanax. It has not been banned, and is widely used for a variety of conditions.
    Is it hard to get? That depends on the physician. Some will hand out prescriptions for high dosage/large quantities as though they were candy or something. On the other end of the spectrum, there are those doctors who simply refuse any request for this particular drug, as well as requests for other drugs which are well known to cause dependency and abuse among many of the people who take those drugs.
    And of course, you have doctors located somewhere in the middle of these extremes. They are usually cautious when it comes to giving these types of drugs out to people. They want to be absolutely sure that they are doing the right thing and providing the proper meds for you. Many times, they will require you to try some alternatives to Xanax before considering its use. I think this type of doctor has your best interests in mind, and really doesn't want to see any of his patients heading down the wrong road with these pills. This type of doctor will want to see you at least once a month - if not more often than that - so they can be sure that you are doing well, you aren't abusing them, and determine if you have a continued need for it. In terms of getting truly good medical care and supervision, you can't beat this type of doctor. Many of this type truly care for the well being of their patients, and it shows. And this is a good doctor to have treating you. For those who hesitate and/or refuse to give any scripts of Xanax (or many other drugs as well) to patients, I believe that it has a real lot to do with the truly high potential for addiction/abuse of the drug, and it is quite easy to become physically and psychologically dependent on Xanax in a very short amount of time. And getting off of it is not an easy task for most people who have taken it for any length of time, though there are some who get off of it with no real problems. Though the same holds true for a few other benzos, I have found through my own experience with it, and that of others, that Xanax is, without doubt, one of the more difficult drugs to stop taking, especially at higher dosages for extended periods of time. I don;t know about the XR, but the regular Xanax has a pretty short half life, and when a dose wears off - in my case, a 1mg tab would last about 4 hours, and no more), your body starts to crave another dose pretty quickly (I'm talking about people taking like 3-4, or more mg/day here, not the .25mg 2x a day people here). You can feel your body start to shake, and your insides feel like they are in a knot. You have one thing, and one thing only on your mind at that point,and that is, "I need another dose, and I need it NOW!!" Of ourse, once you take that next dose. your body calms back down in what seems like just minutes. Its a vicious cycle. Before long, I found that when I was leaving the house for an extended period, I had no choice but to pack up a few extra pills, just in case. In my case, the longer I went wwithout one after the previous one wore off, the worse I would get, and it progressed very quickly. There is always the chance of having a seizure simply from waiting way too long between doses. (I'm talking high doses, like 4-8mg/day for this to happen)
    If you do not have a true medical need, or condition, for a drug such as this, then I would strongly suggest thinking it over really well before asking for it from any doctor. You may just end up saving yourself a whole lot of trouble, and that is a good thing. If you do get it, just be careful with it. Its not candy by any means. Its a truly potent benzo - not to be fooled with. It can be a god send for many people who truly need it for their particular situation, and it works wonders for them. That is a good thing. On the other hand, it has the potential to turn your once decent life into a total nightmare which probably will not have a very happy ending.
    Anyway, best of luck to you whatever road you choose.

  15. #15
    SiestaKeys is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    34

    Default

    I hate xanax XR with a passion. It makes you forgetful(there is a certain term for it similar to mild amnesia) and can make you tired. The tiredness made me fall asleep at the wheel, costing me $1500 for damage to my truck; and the forgetfullness cost me my job where attention to detail was critical. Beware people that most, if not all Benzos make you forget things very easily, and most Dr's dont tell you this. I prefer regular xanax for acute cases. I dont want to take it for something and then 6 hours later still be tired and groggy.

  16. #16
    rayc is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1

    Smile My Experience with treating panic disorder...

    Hi, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder in 1996. Us who have it, know it is very very difficult. I work in the corporate setting. My panic attacks started happening at work, in offices, and conference rooms. The doctors prescribed a number of medications...Celexa was one of them. I gained 20 pounds from that one. But also, one of the reactions from my panic attack is sweating...from my face, and upper body. Well most anti depressants cause sweating, so hello? These don't work. I actually changed my clothes to try and hide the sweating in the great corporate world. I lost jobs. I went to interviews and always broke out into panic attacks with the obvious sweating and well it was over. I became homeless. I somehow got back but lost everything. And had to rebuild.

    I learned through a doctor/friend, I need beta blockers. THis has helped greatly for working people under pressure that sweat as a result of a panic attack. But still, the panic disorder progressed to attacks while on the bus, standing in line. Eventually very hard to leave my house, and even my bed. I was close to giving up.

    I asked my doctor to try Xanax XR (extended release). All I can say is it works. 1MG per day, it works. And yes it is hard to get it because so many people abuse it. All you need is 1MG a day...and then report to your doctor to see how you are doing. But I highly recommend it for anyone who has experienced this very real disorder.

    Best to all of those truley suffering from this disorder that will kill you. Don't lose any hope, get to your doctor and ask for it. You will soon be back on the road to your life. And you don't need more than 1MG per day, until you have given it a shot. THen, again, report back to your doctor and go from there. Baby steps, but I was close to ending things, if you will, and I am so thankful to have finally found something that is working.

    Still in the job search, but I now know, I can go, and not have a panic attack.

  17. #17
    sillygeel is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    71

    Default I want off xanax!

    Anyone ever get off of xanax after long periods of use? I have been on for 16 months at 3 mg a day (always in the eve). I would like to only here from those who are interested in being or becoming clean.........Silly

  18. #18
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rayc View Post
    Hi, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder in 1996. Us who have it, know it is very very difficult. I work in the corporate setting. My panic attacks started happening at work, in offices, and conference rooms. The doctors prescribed a number of medications...Celexa was one of them. I gained 20 pounds from that one. But also, one of the reactions from my panic attack is sweating...from my face, and upper body. Well most anti depressants cause sweating, so hello? These don't work. I actually changed my clothes to try and hide the sweating in the great corporate world. I lost jobs. I went to interviews and always broke out into panic attacks with the obvious sweating and well it was over. I became homeless. I somehow got back but lost everything. And had to rebuild.

    I learned through a doctor/friend, I need beta blockers. THis has helped greatly for working people under pressure that sweat as a result of a panic attack. But still, the panic disorder progressed to attacks while on the bus, standing in line. Eventually very hard to leave my house, and even my bed. I was close to giving up.

    I asked my doctor to try Xanax XR (extended release). All I can say is it works. 1MG per day, it works. And yes it is hard to get it because so many people abuse it. All you need is 1MG a day...and then report to your doctor to see how you are doing. But I highly recommend it for anyone who has experienced this very real disorder.

    Best to all of those truley suffering from this disorder that will kill you. Don't lose any hope, get to your doctor and ask for it. You will soon be back on the road to your life. And you don't need more than 1MG per day, until you have given it a shot. THen, again, report back to your doctor and go from there. Baby steps, but I was close to ending things, if you will, and I am so thankful to have finally found something that is working.

    Still in the job search, but I now know, I can go, and not have a panic attack.
    Hi Ray
    I just want to tell you one thing...you dont need to take the klonopin everyday you could build up a tolerance to it...
    but when your out just carry it with you if you know you have it and can take it if you need to sometimes that is all it takes...
    There are a lot of books on coping skills for those of us that get panic attacks I would say to read some of them...they really helped me I don't have to take anything for anxiety anymore...
    Good luck to you and let us know how it goes...
    Melinda

  19. #19
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sillygeel View Post
    Anyone ever get off of xanax after long periods of use? I have been on for 16 months at 3 mg a day (always in the eve). I would like to only here from those who are interested in being or becoming clean.........Silly
    Hi silly
    I was on klonopin for about three years ...and I know that pam is going to start her benzo detox soon...

    here is a great site to read...

    http://www.benzo.org.uk

    talk to you soon, Melinda

  20. #20
    confusedvette is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    I have been taking ativan for about 5 yrs now. I take 1 mg. before bed for restless leg syndrome. I have never taken it during the day or ever had any addiction to them in any way. Sometimes i would double up on the nights i feel like i could not sleep. But that is very rare that i take two. I have to say they do make you relaxed and for me it works very well to have a good night sleep. I could go days without if i had to, so not so addicting to me. Although everyone is different. Good luck.
    If you have been on it for 5 years, how can you say you are not addicted?

    I am confused.

  21. #21
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvette View Post
    If you have been on it for 5 years, how can you say you are not addicted?

    I am confused.



    You're asking a good question. Trust me anyone who has taken xanax for five years will be climbing walls if they were to stop abruptly.

    There is a difference in dependence and addiction. Addiction relates to our behavior, the things we are willing to do to ourselves and others in order to get more of what we're addicted to. I'm referring to the lies, stealing, dr shopping, isolation, all the behavior that is common to addicts.

    When a person takes xanax for five years even if under the care of dr and following the dosing instructions they WILL have a physical dependency to the drug. Count on it. They just aren't necessarily at the point of selling their souls in order to get more. But that person will still suffer with bad w/d problems if they stop abruptly.

    I see you're doing lots of reading and asking lots of questions about xanax. I know we've talked about it over the last few days. It's good that you're looking around the forum and reading threads on xanax/benzos. Shows you're trying to do the right thing. I just hope you'll realize (like I told you before) that xanax is very serious, it's very easy to develop that physical dependence at a minimum that we have talked about.

    Like I suggested before, if you have to use xanax I surely wouldn't do it for any longer than a few weeks unless there are some really major health reasons for doing so. There are situations where it's necessary but there aren't very many. Take care and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  22. #22
    confusedvette is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Robert, how long would the withdrawal effects last from taking 1/2 to i mg of xanax every night for 3 weeks and then stopping?

  23. #23
    uni623 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1

    Smile

    I took Attivan 1 mg for over 12 years to treat anxiety and it worked beautifully. Then I relocated to another state and dr's here said NO WAY would they prescribe that for me. I searched 4 different doctors trying to find a PCP and all said the same thing. It was a horrible drug to get off and took me nearly 1 1/2 years to do with my dr's help. The reason they said it is so bad is becuase your body will build up a tollerance and you will evenually need to take more and more. I finally understood when I went in for surgery and they had to give me 3x the normal dose to help me relax before it was my turn.

    Now I take Xanax XR (1 mg) and Imipraimine (25 mg) everynight before bed and I sleep great with no anxiety attacks. I have noted a bit of memory loss and at times I seem to be more irratible, but at least I am sleeping and not having the panic attacks everyday. I also must take them about 2 hours before I am ready for bed or they do not seem to work and I am up most of the night.

  24. #24
    AQHAlady is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    I live on 30 great acres in rural Oklahoma
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs up

    I am not familiar with Xanax XR. I have been off/on Xanax .5mg for the last 11 years. I am 40 yo and had panic attacks and depression. Xanax has been great for me. I have not had trouble getting off the medicine because I only take it when needed. Days go by when I do not take a dose, then I may have a day when I take 1 -3 .5mg tablets. I went for 3 years and never needed it. Back in June, my husband was in a horrible accident that nearly amputated his arm. He is a very active man and this injury was a tragedy for him. However, he has made outstanding progress in his recovery, completely suprising his surgical team. Anyhow, he did become depressed when he came home from the month he spent in the hospital at the time of his injury. I took him to his personal physician who prescribed Cymbalta and Xanax. These two medicines have been very important in my husbands recovery-it was shocking how much better mentally and physically the new medicines helped him. My husband is not a medicine taker, ever. Getting him to take a regular tylenol for a sinus headache was nearly impossible. Since he has been on xanax and cymbalta he has cut down on his pain medicine which has also impressed his surgical team. My husband is far from healed and has a long recovery/rehab road ahead of him. Xanax helps us both. I do worry about becoming addicted to it. Neither my husband nor I have additive personalities but one never knows about things like this. So for now, I am aware of the danger of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22