xanax withdrawal at 1mg per day?
    lostinparadise is offline Junior Member

Default xanax withdrawal at 1mg per day?

I have been on benzos for about 4 years (although at a very small dose, no more than 1 mg of xanax a day to help sleep or between 5 and 10 mgs of Valium).

Anyway, I started Suboxone recently (8mg per day) and although my doc said, 1 mg of Xanax shouldn't be a problem, I don't want to die now!!!!!

And I get panic attacks just mixing the two (which is kind of counter-productive).

But I also get panic attacks/anxiety if I don't take at least .5 mg of Xanax a day.

Any suggestions? I really want to be off of everything...

Will withdrawing off 1mg of Xanax be difficult? I know it's a small dose, but people say you shouldn't jump of benzos without your doctor's advice... and after reading on this board for days, I trust the people here more than any doctor...

Thank you!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by lostinparadise View Post
    I have been on benzos for about 4 years (although at a very small dose, no more than 1 mg of xanax a day to help sleep or between 5 and 10 mgs of Valium).

Anyway, I started Suboxone recently (8mg per day) and although my doc said, 1 mg of Xanax shouldn't be a problem, I don't want to die now!!!!!

And I get panic attacks just mixing the two (which is kind of counter-productive).

But I also get panic attacks/anxiety if I don't take at least .5 mg of Xanax a day.

Any suggestions? I really want to be off of everything...

Will withdrawing off 1mg of Xanax be difficult? I know it's a small dose, but people say you shouldn't jump of benzos without your doctor's advice... and after reading on this board for days, I trust the people here more than any doctor...

Thank you!

First of all any dr who knows what he's doing knows you DON'T give benzos to someone on subs or vice versa. Can cause respiratory depression. You can literally stop breathing.

Suboxone isn't even a medication that is used for benzo addiction. Someone or something strange is happening here. Drs DON'T prescribe subs for anxiety like they would benzos. That is malpractice.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 02-28-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Drs DON'T prescribe subs for anxiety like they would benzos. That is malpractice.
    Let me clarify something, the subs were prescribed for a 120-140 mgs of oxycodone a day... and I've been hooked on opiates off and on for ten years...

The benzos were perscribed by the same person who perscribed me the Oxies... both for chronic head pain (and resulting anxiety).

Again, I don't take much of the xanax. .5 mg a day on average. No more than 1 mg ever. But, I have been taking them for 4 yrs.

I told my sub doctor about the xanax (and he didn't like it either) but said .5 mg shouldn't be a problem.

But, I still don't want to die. Robert, from your extensive experience, do you think .5 mg a day mixed with 6-8mg of Subs could kill me. If so, how do I get off the xanax as quickly as possible? I tried not to take my dose today and experienced unpleasant (but not impossible to tolerate) withdrawal symptoms.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

The headaches can be made worse by oxy. Ask your dr to prescribe Zomig for the headaches. Guarantee you it will work. Then taper according to the 25% every four days off the subs and NO XANAX for now. If you get down to .5mg of suboxone you could possibly need .5mg of xanax at that point. You follow that plan and you'll end up clean. I guarantee that I'm right.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

I can't taper off the subs yet. I just got put on them four days ago (see my post "Having trouble taking suboxone...) I wish I could taper already as they are making me sick. And is it safe for me to cold turkey Xanax after taking it every day for 4 yrs? Just want to know. The doctors recommend at 10% taper a week, but I really don't want to be mixing the two. Not if I can help it.

Are any of the benzos safe? I have Valium too. I read somewhere that a good way to get off xanax is to switch to Valium. Another problem I'm having with the subs is increased anxiety. It feels like my heart is racing all the time and forget about sleep... and that's why the doc said to continue my benzos for a week while I stabilize on the Subs and then on Thursday I'm supposed to go on some kind of anti-depressant to help with sleep (and no more benzos). These are the docs instructions... but your advice is more important to me. I actually don't want to go on the anti-depressants because I don't want to get hooked on any more pills, but I just got diagnosed with chronic depression. sigh.

I have zomig. Works great for migraines... but my headaches come from an unresolved tension issue that I've had since I was a kid; hence, the oxies.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    The headaches can be made worse by oxy. Ask your dr to prescribe Zomig for the headaches. Guarantee you it will work. Then taper according to the 25% every four days off the subs and NO XANAX for now. If you get down to .5mg of suboxone you could possibly need .5mg of xanax at that point. You follow that plan and you'll end up clean. I guarantee that I'm right.
    I know you're right. I've been reading your posts for four days now. Simply put, your advice is amazing. It seems like you have one of the few systems that gets people off subs symptom free. You should write a book.